• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

What transfer story ever has quotes from the player?
Only an idiot would pipe up and say something.

Hytner brought the Story to his editor because Lloris's agent contacted him. The Guardian wouldn't bother their arses printing this otherwise.

The implication of this position is that every transfer rumour in the newspapers has some kind of substance behind it, otherwise the paper "wouldn't bother their arses printing" it. Except we know that can't be true because every club gets linked to literally dozens (perhaps more than a hundred?) players every window. I remember seeing a list somebody compiled one summer of all the players linked to Spurs in just the UK mainstream media that year, and there were almost 80 names on it! At the same time, I think all but five of our players were being linked with moves to other clubs.

The notion that there was some kind of solid information or credible source behind each of those stories seems fanciful to me. I'm not saying a quote makes the story instantly credible, but without a quote it's just noise.

That said; I am very concerned that Lloris might angle for a move to a Champions League side - especially given the big teams look like they are about to start playing goalkeeper-musical-chairs.

Lloris doesn't have good enough distribution to be a keeper for Real or Barca. Bayern is the only club I can eventually see us losing him too.

I've read his family (wife especially) absolutely love living here. Remember London is now something like the 6th biggest French city by population due to the enormous ex-pat population.

I meant it would start a chain reaction and United would be looking at Lloris

I think he's fine for those clubs though, his short passing is ok

His daughter would start school this coming new year in September, so maybe he will need his next few years sorted. Then again he could give another year before school kicks in should he wish to move to Spain, France and Germany as the start age there is 6 and not like 5 in the UK.

I think if he really wants to go we will try and do a deal with PSG, cash plus Rabiot or something like that. Levy will not want to sell to a PL club and i just dont see anyone else on the continent being interested in Lloris at the price we would demand.

If DeGea goes to Real then Utd will go for Cech imo...Mourinho has said he might have to bow to Cech's wishes after all the years of outstanding service at Chelski so Cech will not be prevented from moving to a direct PL rival. Of course Arsanal will probably be in for him too.

That would leave us without a keeper. Tbh id go for Begovic

You'd have to think it would need to be a good offer to tempt Lloris away. For a Frenchman living on millions London, and the ability to easily jump onto a train to Paris, must be a pretty decent place to live. I can't remember why but for some reason I was compelled to look at his wife's twitter account (!) and there was tweet after tweet about loving life in London. You would think for his family London would be a pretty perfect place to live. Hugo spent years living in Lyon after all, a charming town which he swapped for London. Surely there are players out there who attach importance to such things.

This got me wondering. With Man Utd's decline and without there any longer being the carrot of working under Whiskey Nose, will the appeal of a transfer to Old Trafford dimish? I certainly think that will be the case for Liverpool. Maybe not for south American players etc who want to make the move to Europe, but for Europeans like Lloris, surely the day to day life aspect - particularly with him being French and London's proximity to Paris - must make us a very attractive option.

If Lloris does move, I'd be so bold as to wager it'll be to another team in a great city, not some dump like Manchester or Liverpool. Imagine being a player and being shown round Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Sunderland :D

I know some players, especially the younger ones, only ever see the inside of a club so its irrelevant for them; but I just have a hunch that that may not be the case for Lloris. I'm probably totally wrong and he'll have signed for Man Utd on the first day of the window.

It would be a decisive criteria for me - as is it is currently when deciding on what job to take: the day to day living in Vienna, Munich and (soon to be) Amsterdam improves quality and enjoyment of my life in comparison to time spent in places like Philadelphia, Hannover and Linz.
Well that convinced me that he's either staying or moving to PSG :eek:

I think if he really wants to go we will try and do a deal with PSG, cash plus Rabiot or something like that. Levy will not want to sell to a PL club and i just dont see anyone else on the continent being interested in Lloris at the price we would demand.

If DeGea goes to Real then Utd will go for Cech imo...Mourinho has said he might have to bow to Cech's wishes after all the years of outstanding service at Chelski so Cech will not be prevented from moving to a direct PL rival. Of course Arsanal will probably be in for him too.

That would leave us without a keeper. Tbh id go for Begovic
Being linked with Real apparently. Would bowing to Cech's wishes stretch to selling to us?

The implication of this position is that every transfer rumour in the newspapers has some kind of substance behind it, otherwise the paper "wouldn't bother their arses printing" it. Except we know that can't be true because every club gets linked to literally dozens (perhaps more than a hundred?) players every window. I remember seeing a list somebody compiled one summer of all the players linked to Spurs in just the UK mainstream media that year, and there were almost 80 names on it! At the same time, I think all but five of our players were being linked with moves to other clubs.

The notion that there was some kind of solid information or credible source behind each of those stories seems fanciful to me. I'm not saying a quote makes the story instantly credible, but without a quote it's just noise.

Agreed. I think a prediction that "we will see Lloris rumours regardless" is pretty much spot on for this summer. So there being rumours really doesn't add much information at all. Perhaps the Guardian is a bit more reputable than some sources, but I don't think they're above printing this whilst Lloris himself is perfectly content staying.

That said; I am very concerned that Lloris might angle for a move to a Champions League side - especially given the big teams look like they are about to start playing goalkeeper-musical-chairs.

Slight exaggeration to call it goalkeeper-musical-chairs. Real reportedly want De Gea, seems reasonable that Lloris will be one of United's targets if they lose De Gea. That's pretty much all of it. The rest of the top teams seem happy with their goalies.

PSG have been mentioned, but that doesn't seem based on much at all. Sirigu is an excellent goalkeeper, should they come in for Lloris we could demand Sirigu in return actually.

All of the other potential destinations for Lloris are well covered for goalkeepers I think. Unless he's going to leave us for Arsenal or Liverpool, and we all know that's not happening.

United targeting him if they lose De Gea, and then if United can either unsettle him enough or come to an agreement with Levy... It's all very speculative at this point.

I will be amazed if he is still at Spurs next season. Rembert the stick Vorm got when he signed? was first choice and signed as second string behind Hugo. He was clearly signed for the medium term. Levy probably did a Bale, give us one more season to get into the CL. We wont be, so Hugo will be gone I'm afraid to say.

I will be amazed if he is still at Spurs next season. Rembert the stick Vorm got when he signed? was first choice and signed as second string behind Hugo. He was clearly signed for the medium term. Levy probably did a Bale, give us one more season to get into the CL. We wont be, so Hugo will be gone I'm afraid to say.

Except Vorm wasn't first choice at Swansea at that time...

Typical football conspiracy theory except that Vorm was not first choice - he had a choice: second string to an scum reject or to one of the best keepers in Europe with a promise of involvement in League Cup and Europa League.

Now I ask, which seems the more realistic version?

Typical football conspiracy theory except that Vorm was not first choice - he had a choice: second string to an scum reject or to one of the best keepers in Europe with a promise of involvement in League Cup and Europa League.

And probably a nice wage increase as well.

Clearly you are right, concerning Vorm being second choice, but just watch, Lloris will be as gone as last weeks pay, when a big club come in for him. Just forget all the motherhood and apple pie sentiments from him...they all say that.

Clearly you are right, concerning Vorm being second choice, but just watch, Lloris will be as gone as last weeks pay, when a big club come in for him. Just forget all the motherhood and apple pie sentiments from him...they all say that.

There's no big club that needs a keeper like Lloris - that's our saving grace. He doesn't have the distribution for Barca or Real, and Bayern have Neuer.

Let's be honest with ourselves, we staged an enormous coup by getting him in: he was and remains one of the world's best keepers, and the prospect of a player like him coming to Spurs was, in retrospect, somewhat dim (although at the time there was a lot of puffed-up talk about Levy's ambitions to get back into the CL ASAP, and we still had the likes of Bale to call upon). So, looking back, snaring Lloris was a masterful move by Levy and co.

However...the same prospects we had of bringing him in when we did now apply to keeping him around at what ,for the medium term, is essentially an utterly unambitious club with hands-off owners trying to tread water with no net spending and 65 million pound profits in the bank. He can't have been very impressed by watching players who were considered youth-teamers just a season ago now being touted as catch-all solutions to every problem the team has, just because they won't cost anything and are thus the ideal players from our owners' perspectives. He can't have been impressed by the manager who brought him in storming out after a series of morale-sapping defeats brought on by the farcical transfer 'backing' he received, and then promptly going on to achieve success with another club. And I don't think he's the type to be impressed by middling Europa League runs and second-place medals in the domestic cups, either.

So, long story short, I don't think anyone will be blaming him if he does leave this summer. He's clearly a level above where we are or currently want to be, and shouldn't be blamed for logically wanting to go to a club that surrounds him with players of his level and aims for the big prizes every year.

And besides, Vorm's done okay since he's been in: like Friedel in 11-12, I think he'd do decently well if he were to be first choice next season. :)

Back