• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How long will it take for this team to gel?

If we're still in it come Xmas then I for one will be very excited. Because they're only going to get better!

If we're still in it come Xmas then I for one will be very excited. Because they're only going to get better!

I am excited already!

Norwich is a key game. One loss and a draw at home recently and a stupid loss away in the Cup game last season.

Do you think that the front six are familiar with each others' games?

I think what goes in our favour is that we're solid as ****! The performance against Arsenal wasn't great, but we did dominate the game (without ever looking remotely like scoring), not many teams do that at the Emirates, even when they are losing.

I don't think we'll lose many games whilst we're getting to know each other, so we just have to hope for a bit of magic from Lamela, Eriksson, Soldado, Lennon/Townsend/Sigurdsson/Chadli in the meantime before the team does really click. Hopefully we'll still be in touch of top 4 by Christmas when I would expect us to be ticking over quite nicely.

I think what goes in our favour is that we're solid as ****! The performance against Arsenal wasn't great, but we did dominate the game (without ever looking remotely like scoring), not many teams do that at the Emirates, even when they are losing.

I don't think we'll lose many games whilst we're getting to know each other, so we just have to hope for a bit of magic from Lamela, Eriksson, Soldado, Lennon/Townsend/Sigurdsson/Chadli in the meantime before the team does really click. Hopefully we'll still be in touch of top 4 by Christmas when I would expect us to be ticking over quite nicely.

Yep. Hopefully if we get Ade back fit we will have more options up front and we will start scoring 2 goals a game and winning games easily.

We'll grind through till Christmas, when we'll have garnered enough understanding of each others' play to hit a period of glorious team play and performances. This will then dissipate as we head into March and April, as the long PL season takes its toll on unaccustomed new players and old veterans alike. We will then narrowly finish outside of the spot we were hoping for, but console ourselves with the hope that the budding late season form of Lamela/Eriksen/Holtby/A.N Other will be fully unleashed the next season.

Then Lamela/Eriksen/Holtby/A.N Other will be tapped up by and then sold to Real Madrid for upwards of 50 million pounds, which we will spend on new replacements, who will then struggle to settle in, necessitating a sluggish approach till Christmas, followed by bright form, followed by the end-of-season slump, followed by...

Well, you get the idea. :)

I think we're a bit like Arsenal were last season, they had basically 4 new players in the first 11 - Cazorla, Podolski, Giroud, and Wheelchair who returned from injury.

The difference is that we have nine new players, including Townsend and Rose. Of course all of them won't be in the starting lineup, but at least 5 of them will be at a minimum (Soldado, Eriksen, Paulinho, Lamela, Rose). Yes it will take time but I think it will take us less time than it took the ****, because we have a stronger spine and defense than they had last season. We also have a fairly easy run of games coming up which could give us a great opportunity to stay up near the top of the table while our players are learning each other's games.

I thought that it might be interesting to bump this thread and see if anyone had changed their mind

Not me. I am still excited about this season.
Maybe after the Villa game if AVB has not learned any lessons.

For me it was always going to be until about February.

Even after the window closed I felt that there was still two or three signings needed to be made such as competition for Danny Rose, another Modric maybe and most importantly of all a striker to replace Ade. With this squad it is very hard to wait because of the sheer sums that we're talking about after all it's rare even by the biggest of club's standards to spend £110m in one window but I get the feeling that there are players in that squad who could develop in such a way that we may forget we ever wished to purchase anyone else.

I said one season but I think its beyond about gelling and more about tactics. My view.

For me it was always going to be until about February.

Even after the window closed I felt that there was still two or three signings needed to be made such as competition for Danny Rose, another Modric maybe and most importantly of all a striker to replace Ade. With this squad it is very hard to wait because of the sheer sums that we're talking about after all it's rare even by the biggest of club's standards to spend £110m in one window but I get the feeling that there are players in that squad who could develop in such a way that we may forget we ever wished to purchase anyone else.

The left-back situation, letting BAE go and thinking we had enough cover was a complete ****-up
Defintely need a Modric replacement, and argueably we had the chance to get one in Moutinho and we decided to play russian roulette with the Portugese Levy and lost. That for me was a massive blow.
Everybody knows I would have loved Lukaku as our CF, but that was, and always will be a non-starter. Got excited when we were linked to Benteke. We'll never know if we were only ever being used, but having paid £26m for Soldado I'm wishing we had gone to a few extra million on Benteke and really tested Villa to see if it was a ploy by his agent for a wage rise

how many new players or fringe players did city play against us?

The advantage that City is that they can buy the finished article whereas all of our signings this summer (apart from Soldado) will take a couple of seasons to reach their potential.

The advantage that City is that they can buy the finished article whereas all of our signings this summer (apart from Soldado) will take a couple of seasons to reach their potential.

am sorry Milo , in all that excuse that you put there i missed the answer to the question i put out originally;)

you see, i was under the impression that people said if you buy multiple players then you should reALLY write off a season and shouldnt expect the team to gel , score goals, play fluid etc etc etc......also ignoring the fact that relatively speaking the 7 players we bought are to teams like west ham and palace as you claim the city players are to ours.

sorry i digress, back on point...how many NEW players and/ or fringe players did they play against us again?

am sorry Milo , in all that excuse that you put there i missed the answer to the question i put out originally;)

you see, i was under the impression that people said if you buy multiple players then you should reALLY write off a season and shouldnt expect the team to gel , score goals, play fluid etc etc etc......also ignoring the fact that relatively speaking the 7 players we bought are to teams like west ham and palace as you claim the city players are to ours.

sorry i digress, back on point...how many NEW players and/ or fringe players did they play against us again?

They played 4 new players Navas, Negredo, Fernandinho and Demichelis. Their keeper Pantilimon was playing his 3rd ever Premier League game.
We had Lamela, Soldado and Paulinho as new players.

More to the point, why are Liverpool doing so well with (as of January 2013) 6 new regular first-teamers?

They played 4 new players Navas, Negredo, Fernandinho and Demichelis. Their keeper Pantilimon was playing his 3rd ever Premier League game.
We had Lamela, Soldado and Paulinho as new players.

Not to mention City had a new manager and new system!

I thought that you asked me for my opinion not "peoples". Who are people?*Am I people? Are you people?

For what it's worth, I think that Emirates Marketing Project are still gelling and are under performing at the moment. If they were firing on all cylinders they would be top of the league.

Back