• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Heurelho Gomes

Although a striker missing a clear chance is almost certainly reducing the score by one, so the result (purely based on goal difference in a single match) is the same.

That's where the fan/staff/press mentality comes in I think - it's seen as worse to give away a goal than to not score one, when empirically they're the same thing.

Psychologically it's different to the players to concede, especially if it's from a mistake, and it impacts the game more than missing and the score staying the same.

Psychologically it's different to the players to concede, especially if it's from a mistake, and it impacts the game more than missing and the score staying the same.

I think to some extent that's part of my point.

What's the difference in missing a clear chance at 0-0 and letting in a goal at 1-0?

I know that psychologically people see it differently, but a decent coach should be able to stop that in no time. Dropping one's head when a goal is conceded is just a weakness too and surely could be coached out.

the difference is one 1 point

personally as an ex keeper, I was always much more aware of goals I let in that I considered my fault than any misses by my team mates

(lack of edit on mobile is killing me)

I'd also say that missing a chance at 0-0 costs you nothing, goal kick happens and you are right where you were before the chance

let in a soft one at 1-0 and suddenly it's level again and you've just thrown away 2 points and handed momentum to the opposition

That save at Fratton Park, incredible. Stilled amazed it didn't feature in our season review DVD and that MOTD didn't even speak about in their analysis.

All the best and thanks for those unforgettable save against that lot.

http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/tottenham-v-arsenal-gomes-save-80-sky-sports

http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/tottenham-v-arsenal-gomes-2nd-save-84-sky-sports

http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/tottenham-v-arsenal-gomes-save-84-sky-sports

Just look at the reaction from the players! =D>

Last edited:
Set a new home defensive record one season with no clangers (year we qualified for CL). That's enough to show his true quality, which could have been retrieved. Hope he goes on to do that at PSV.

Delighted for the guy, he will be going "back home" and that will give him a boost of confidence. Genuinely top bloke, right move for him and long overdue.

Be interesting to see what happens with our keeper situation now, Lloris needs clear competition from a number 2.

Set a new home defensive record one season with no clangers (year we qualified for CL). That's enough to show his true quality, which could have been retrieved. Hope he goes on to do that at PSV.

Delighted for the guy, he will be going "back home" and that will give him a boost of confidence. Genuinely top bloke, right move for him and long overdue.

Be interesting to see what happens with our keeper situation now, Lloris needs clear competition from a number 2.

08/09. First season once Harry came in and brought Tony Parks with him.

What doesn't seem right though is that he didn't seem to have this issue for PSV (based entirely on reports as I didn't see him for them much).

Does anyone know if that's really the case?

I don't know the answer but your question reminded me of something I heard Comolli say on The Footballer's Football Show one week. He mentioned two players (a midfielder and a goalkeeper) that his scouting team had researched thoroughly and were then subsequently bought. The midfielder had perfect statistics for his new club and on paper was ideal; in reality he ended up offering completely nothing to the new team (I'm guessing this was Downing).

The goalkeeper didn't work out because they had vastly underestimated how he would react under the pressure of being number one and the consequent scrutiny he'd experience from fans and the media. I didn't think it was Gomes at the time because PSV are as big a club as we are, plus Gomes would have played in title deciders and a CL semi with them, but you never know, Comolli could have been talking about him. (I thought it was Manninger when I was watching it.)

I always liked Gomes as both a person and a player.

I actually wished he done this years ago for the sake of his career.

Good luck Heurelho.

=D>

I've spoken up often about my thoughts on both him and how he was treated. For me, he was one of the two main reasons we qualified for the CL the season we were in. Good luck Heurelho!

I don't know the answer but your question reminded me of something I heard Comolli say on The Footballer's Football Show one week. He mentioned two players (a midfielder and a goalkeeper) that his scouting team had researched thoroughly and were then subsequently bought. The midfielder had perfect statistics for his new club and on paper was ideal; in reality he ended up offering completely nothing to the new team (I'm guessing this was Downing).

The goalkeeper didn't work out because they had vastly underestimated how he would react under the pressure of being number one and the consequent scrutiny he'd experience from fans and the media. I didn't think it was Gomes at the time because PSV are as big a club as we are, plus Gomes would have played in title deciders and a CL semi with them, but you never know, Comolli could have been talking about him. (I thought it was Manninger when I was watching it.)

Thanks, I hadn't heard that interview.
I think that the gutter press in this country have to take some blame too. They always like to characterise non-British and especially non-European keepers/defenders as eccentric, risky and unreliable.

Look at how they initially reacted to David Luiz - in my eyes one of the best defensive imports for a while. He does a ridiculous number of things right, saving Chelsea numerous goals (and often covering the ageing **** of John 'Old school English so he must be good' Terry). He makes a few mistakes (as all players do) and is torn to pieces for being unreliable.

It makes no sense to me.

Thanks, I hadn't heard that interview.
I think that the gutter press in this country have to take some blame too. They always like to characterise non-British and especially non-European keepers/defenders as eccentric, risky and unreliable.

Look at how they initially reacted to David Luiz - in my eyes one of the best defensive imports for a while. He does a ridiculous number of things right, saving Chelsea numerous goals (and often covering the ageing **** of John 'Old school English so he must be good' Terry). He makes a few mistakes (as all players do) and is torn to pieces for being unreliable.

It makes no sense to me.

Agreed, especially with the bit in bold…Joe Hart made just as many high(er)-profile mistakes and glided through the back-pages.

Good luck big man, I've always been a massive fan. Can't believe someone didn't come in with an acceptable offer in the past couple of years for him. All the talent in the world, just needs an arm around him, someone could have picked up an absolute bargain, I hope he proves it, again, at PSV.

the difference is one 1 point

personally as an ex keeper, I was always much more aware of goals I let in that I considered my fault than any misses by my team mates

Being a forward is like being a famous actor -- get paid a lot, everybody knows you, but if you fluff your lines, nobody cares that much.

Being a keeper is like being a surgeon or air-traffic controller -- a big part of the job is not making mistakes, as they are just too costly.

I think Lloris is the right balance between Gomes and Friedel.

Was awesome at saving freekicks. Even when Ronaldo was standing over the ball I felt calm. Just a huge wingspan and athletic ability. All the best, Heurelho!

Back