• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Heurelho Gomes

I really like Gomes. I prefer to remember the good times rather than the bad times.

But he is on big bucks and if he has anything about him if there was an opportunity now or ASAP he needs to go.

It's interesting how an appealing personality can cover up less appealing traits.

I like HG as much as anyone, but one could be unkind and say he is a professional sportsman on a massive salary who basically had an on-pitch nervous breakdown and several years later has still not recovered, and has not so much as knocked on the door of a first team place in all that time. I presume he trains well and is a positive figure around the club, but players have been slaughtered by fans for less.

It's interesting how an appealing personality can cover up less appealing traits.

I like HG as much as anyone, but one could be unkind and say he is a professional sportsman on a massive salary who basically had an on-pitch nervous breakdown and several years later has still not recovered, and has not so much as knocked on the door of a first team place in all that time. I presume he trains well and is a positive figure around the club, but players have been slaughtered by fans for less.

Yes. There is a thread about a player similar to the one you describe.

Except that people label Adebayor as someone who doesn't push himself when selected.

Can the same criticism be made of Gomes?

Except that people label Adebayor as someone who doesn't push himself when selected.

Can the same criticism be made of Gomes?

I don't think so.

The problem was a lack of mental toughness from Gomes. He would be brilliant for a while, then make a mistake and lose his confidence/cool. Then one mistake would be followed by another and another in a downwards spiral. I really don't think it was caused by a lack of effort.

I always thought he would be someone that could have benefited from help from a sports psychologist or something like that. But I have no idea if that was ever tested.

The problem was a lack of mental toughness from Gomes. He would be brilliant for a while, then make a mistake and lose his confidence/cool. Then one mistake would be followed by another and another in a downwards spiral. I really don't think it was caused by a lack of effort.

I always thought he would be someone that could have benefited from help from a sports psychologist or something like that. But I have no idea if that was ever tested.

Is that really any different than what many say about Ade? That his confidence was low last year, that he played with his head down, needed a manager to be delicate and inspiring to bring the best out of him, that a goal or two would revive his confidence and form?

Is it just that appearances are so different between a keeper (who is largely expected to stand between the posts and react) versus an outfield player (who is expected to give full effort, create chances, run a lot, hold the ball, pass, create chances and score goals), so that when the latter is suffering it's much more visible?

Is that really any different than what many say about Ade? That his confidence was low last year, that he played with his head down, needed a manager to be delicate and inspiring to bring the best out of him, that a goal or two would revive his confidence and form?

Is it just that appearances are so different between a keeper (who is largely expected to stand between the posts and react) versus an outfield player (who is expected to give full effort, create chances, run a lot, hold the ball, pass, create chances and score goals), so that when the latter is suffering it's much more visible?

If the criticism of Ade was just one about a lack of quality yes. If there was also a valid criticism of him because of a lack of effort then I think there's a difference.

Heurelho Gomes has completed his move to PSV Eindhoven today.

Very sad to see him go, but happy that he can once more play first team football.

Thanks for all the great memories!

A6388_zps9ccf8328.jpg

Brazilian keeper Heurelho Gomes looks rather pleased to be returning to PSV in the picture above – and who can blame him.

The current third choice Tottenham goalkeeper added the following tag line to the image: “Good morning! Of To Eindhoven ! GHod bless you all.”

Gomes was a major success in his first season at Tottenham, helping the north London side into the Champions League.

The following campaign was more difficult for the Brazilian nicknamed “The Octopus” and he eventually lost his place to Brad Friedel at the start of the next season.

Once Hugo Lloris arrived at Spurs the writing was on the wall, but Gomes has been kicking his heels despite being a very talented shot stopper.

It is not clear whether Gomes has left Spurs to return to PSV Eindhoven permanently or just for a loan spell, this will likely become clearer in the coming days.

New Spurs boss Tim Sherwood has attempted to promote youth at every opportunity – shifting Gomes is presumably aimed at Jordan Archer getting close to the first team squad.

At 32-years-old, Gomes has an opportunity to reassert himself at PSV where he was a legendary keeper for the Eindhoven side.

Last edited:
Good move for Gomes. I think going back to PSV is the only way he can get back his old form as he is considered a legend there. But still find it surprising it took him almost 3 years to move after losing his first team place at Spurs.

Good for him and PSV, hope he can get his career back on track. Always seemed like a really likeable character and he's given us some fantastic memories.

Glad he's not going to another PL club, would not like to see him have one of his impossible days against us...

remember that game at OT, that save from Giggs, could have sent him out on his own that day and he'd still have got us a point

I always liked Gomes as both a person and a player.

I actually wished he done this years ago for the sake of his career.

Good luck Heurelho.

I always stuck up for him during his bad patch, some have very short memories and he won us so many points if it wasn't for him I doubt we would have seen CL football that year. Good luck to the guy, surely noone can have a bad word to say about him....

Back