• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Have we frittered away £30m ?

Dembele , lloris and verts will be next in line for real and barca. So we get another chance to blow another 30.

Dempsey/Sig - meh signings. Not sure really. I didnt rate them before.

Interesting as Dempsey only cost £6m and scored 23 goals last season, 17 in the league which is the same number as Adebayor. With our present crop of players the best way to get the best out of Dempsey is by playing him upfront alongside Defoe/Adebayor.

Dempsey is exactly the sort of signing who is on a hiding to nothing with some of our fans.
He is a solid premiership pro, who we know what we are getting. He won't score us 30 goalso robe the main man but he will do a decent job anywhere across the front line. We get depth in the squad, and genuine competition. £6m well spent - rather him than Harry Kane at this moment in time.

Yet at THFC every signing is expected to be new saviour, a big shirt seller and a new legend.

Interesting as Dempsey only cost £6m and scored 23 goals last season, 17 in the league which is the same number as Adebayor. With our present crop of players the best way to get the best out of Dempsey is by playing him upfront alongside Defoe/Adebayor.

The thing is I dont rate either Dempsey or Sig - its not like ive seen them at spurs and made up my mind. Its a natural thing to say when you dont rate someone 'why did you buy him'. When you spent time not really rating someone its difficult to just 'rate' them just because they turn up in a spurs kit. Imagine if we signed Robert Green? would you guys be saying 'oh give him time'? You may give him time but doesnt mean you rate the guy

I see both Dempsey and Sig as MoTD players - they look good in the two or three minute snippets but thats about it. I dont think we frittered away 30m but we def spent 14m on two players where I think buying one 14m top quality player would have been a far better deal.

Dempsey is neither a striker or a midfielder - a forward? but he isnt a creative player or a passer or some kind of visionary so kind of what is he? Sig is not a midfielder and not a striker - what is he? I think these are the questions I ask myself when I see both of them. I do rate Dempsey higher than Sig but that may not tell you much.

Verts is far from fritting away 8m he's a fcuking bargain!

Dembele isn't much worse than Modric. He might not be Moutinho but he's easily good enough for us.

Give Dempsey a chance, he will get us goals once he links up with the team.

Lloris is a great keeper to replace our 41 year old keeper - quite happy with this signing.

Gylfi will come good, he's already lifted our dead ball taking from a D- to a C+.

Gylfi's nervous. He looks nervous. So give him time, he needs to settle in. After all, people are expecting him to be a replacement for the massive fan favorite that was Rafa. That's a lot of pressure.

Dembele looks like Yaya Toure when he's in full stride. Sure, he misplaces a few passes, but that'll change when he understands his team-mates' runs better.

Dempsey looked a real threat when put up alongside Defoe in the second half, especially in the air. He'll come good as well.

Lloris was a steal at 13 million.

Verts......well, what can you say about Verts. Like Vermaelen, but with a better defensive brain and considerably more elan. He would have been an incredible bargain at twice the price we paid for him.

Confused.jpg

Attachments

• Confused.jpg
    Confused.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 4
Dempsey is exactly the sort of signing who is on a hiding to nothing with some of our fans.
He is a solid premiership pro, who we know what we are getting. He won't score us 30 goalso robe the main man but he will do a decent job anywhere across the front line. We get depth in the squad, and genuine competition. £6m well spent - rather him than Harry Kane at this moment in time.

Yet at THFC every signing is expected to be new saviour, a big shirt seller and a new legend.

no, i dont like this, we wont get the best out of him like we didnt with Pienaar as a utility midfielder who could supposedly play a number of roles in midfield

Dempsey needs to play in his best position which is up top as a striker.

thorsvedt
lineker
keane
carrick
ekotto
modric

thats a quick list of players off the top of my head who took a while to get going, sure i could reel off a load more if i thought about it, i'm sure others on here could do the same

rome wasn't built in a day

most stupid post of the year. Best window in ages, Dembele will be class, Dempsey is very very very solid. Been frustrated with Gylfi but we have also France no 1 on the bench. Not too shabby

I also think that Dembele will be better than Modric

The thing is I dont rate either Dempsey or Sig - its not like ive seen them at spurs and made up my mind. Its a natural thing to say when you dont rate someone 'why did you buy him'. When you spent time not really rating someone its difficult to just 'rate' them just because they turn up in a spurs kit. Imagine if we signed Robert Green? would you guys be saying 'oh give him time'? You may give him time but doesnt mean you rate the guy

I see both Dempsey and Sig as MoTD players - they look good in the two or three minute snippets but thats about it. I dont think we frittered away 30m but we def spent 14m on two players where I think buying one 14m top quality player would have been a far better deal.

Dempsey is neither a striker or a midfielder - a forward? but he isnt a creative player or a passer or some kind of visionary so kind of what is he? Sig is not a midfielder and not a striker - what is he? I think these are the questions I ask myself when I see both of them. I do rate Dempsey higher than Sig but that may not tell you much.

Dempsey is someone we definitely needed - an inside forward that can play on either flank, and be a back-up #9. At the prices quoted he was by far the better option for that role than Remy, Sturridge or Hulk (similar players who we were linked to). People have been moaning for years about needing cover/competition for Bale and Lennon, well now we have it, but someone more versitle and useful in systems other than 4-4-2.

Re Sig - it was clear that Rafa didn't have the mobility for AVB, so he bought someone who could do the Gerrard/Lampard role in a 3 man midfield.

Neither Dempsey or Sig particularly fit into a 4-4-2. But both are perfect fits for a 4-3-3, which we'll hopefully properly move to when Ade returns.

IMO Ade's hold-up and link-up play is absolutely critical to Dempsey and Sig, and it's absence is the reason neither have excelled so far IMO.

Dempsey was needed as there's very few goals in our team, only the Ade/Defoe and Bale can get a decent amount, Sig is capable too.

most stupid post of the year. Best window in ages, Dembele will be class, Dempsey is very very very solid. Been frustrated with Gylfi but we have also France no 1 on the bench. Not too shabby

I also think that Dembele will be better than Modric

Spura tinted glasses. I was not taking about Vert and the goalie.

We spent £30 odd million on Dempsey, Dembele and Sigi. We may have been better in paying £30m for one player. Just sayingb they are going to be great signings does not make it happen.

I am open minded, based on their play so far, I would say slightly pessimistic atm. that will change when their performances imoprove.

We spent £30 odd million on Dempsey, Dembele and Sigi. We may have been better in paying £30m for one player. Just sayingb they are going to be great signings does not make it happen.

I am open minded, based on their play so far, I would say slightly pessimistic atm. that will change when their performances imoprove.

I know where your coming from but who? Who would you suggest for upto £30million that would have been available, would have come to us and been in our wage bracket? Its not easy..

Nonesense. If we had spent £30m on one player then our squad would already be looking depleted. And as I said in my post on pg 1, Dembele has been performing so well that pundits are actually singing his praises and Siggurson had a one in two goal rate at Swansea last season and is showing signs of what he can do, just been largely unlucky and needs to bed in. He slid in Lennon beautifully last week for his assist to Defoe and people saying that he only passes sideways must not have watched any Spurs games this season bar yesterday as he is always looking to play in the front three.

If your OP isn't knee jerk, then I have no idea what knee jerk means as we are now just two points away from 3rd and our new players have, by and large, put in good individual displays even if the team isn't quite jelling.

If you want to know why we aren't higher up the table, look no further than our appalling preseason rollercoaster.

We also may not have been. The odds are more in your favour for some sort of return if you spread it out on players. If we spent that £30m on one player, then he still may have not been good enough.

Give it time. Sure if they don't perform this year, i'll agree we may have made bad deals. Five games is not enough.

Is that last sentence really coming from the same person who wrote the title for this thread?

Makes you look like a bit of a troll tbh.

i don't think we could spend 30m on one player, not unless we were massively ripped off, there is no one of that value who would come to us

Dempsey is someone we definitely needed - an inside forward that can play on either flank, and be a back-up #9. At the prices quoted he was by far the better option for that role than Remy, Sturridge or Hulk (similar players who we were linked to). People have been moaning for years about needing cover/competition for Bale and Lennon, well now we have it, but someone more versitle and useful in systems other than 4-4-2.

Re Sig - it was clear that Rafa didn't have the mobility for AVB, so he bought someone who could do the Gerrard/Lampard role in a 3 man midfield.

Neither Dempsey or Sig particularly fit into a 4-4-2. But both are perfect fits for a 4-3-3, which we'll hopefully properly move to when Ade returns.

IMO Ade's hold-up and link-up play is absolutely critical to Dempsey and Sig, and it's absence is the reason neither have excelled so far IMO.

Like I said in the Defoe thread you can have a velcro wall up there and the balls still wouldnt stick if all we are doing is punting it up field aimlessly missing that big velcro wall.

I dont rate Sig and many people know that and have had a go at me so ill shut up about his 'attributes' and 'quality'.

I dont mind Dempsey but he isnt a striker and isnt a midfielder and isnt creative enough and isnt that great a passer a visionary if you will. So he can play inside forward? He looked lost against QPR and was completely anonymous then again I wasnt 100% certain where he had played.

Back