• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Have we frittered away £30m ?

colin fishwick

Reto Ziegler
Not a knee jerk reaction , but an observation and a fear. I have an open mind , but can only go on what I have seen so far.

Demebele, Sigi and Dempsey all played today and we saw first hand what you get when you get 3 " not , top notch players in for a world class one.

Quantity versus quality . Three midfielder all looked lacking in guile, all play the safe ball, none had the ability to turn defense into attack with a nimble turn and pass. Dembele can do the turn, but so far does not look to have the pass.

We played a bit like England today , which is " playing in straight lines " the players had to pass back or square under any sort of pressure .

Obviously it is very early days , so they may improve, but atm , I would be very disappointed if we have spent our budget and this is what we have to show for it.

Can you ask yourself why England play like that though?

It's because the players don't often play together. Which is just like some of the players we have bought. They have not played with the other players we are playing that much.

Last edited:
239980-john-stape-to-leave-coronation-street-280x157.jpg

Everyone needs more time. Sigurdsson hasn't met expectations thus far, expectations for Dempsey are low anyway but Dembele looks promising so far.

A lot more time needed to make a serious judgement though

It's because the players don't often play together. Which is just like some of the players we have bought. They have not played with the other players we are playing that much.

Italian, Spanish and Portuguese players, don't play together often as well - so no that is not the reason they play like that. Technical ability or a lack of it is the reason.

I know you say your post isnt based on a knee jerk reaction but i really dont know why you are even asking this question after we have played just 6 games. Its far to early to judge anything at the moment.

Dempsey has played less than 2 games overall for us after not having a pre-season, Dembele has looked fairly impressive in his appearances although i think theres alot more to come from him and Sigi has done pretty much nothing but make half decent runs off the ball. Fine. But the season is no more than a few weeks old and we should be worrying about frittering away £30 million? Ive never seen a trio of players written off so quickly.

Everyone needs more time. Sigurdsson hasn't met expectations thus far, expectations for Dempsey are low anyway but Dembele looks promising so far.

A lot more time needed to make a serious judgement though

This thread is a bit premature but for what it's worth here are my thoughts...

Dembele looks class, though wasn't brilliant today. An astute purchase if you ask me.

I know Dempsey is better than we've seen, though I'd have preferred we kept VDV for another 6 months at least. I think he's just warming up and there's alot more to come.

Siggy I'm a little disappointed with to be honest. In saying that I don't think him and Defoe are a good combination and he could do way better playing with Ade.

I know you say your post isnt based on a knee jerk reaction but i really dont know why you are even asking this question after we have played just 6 games. Its far to early to judge anything at the moment.

Dempsey has played less than 2 games overall for us after not having a pre-season, Dembele has looked fairly impressive in his appearances although i think theres alot more to come from him and Sigi has done pretty much nothing but make half decent runs off the ball. Fine. But the season is no more than a few weeks old and we should be worrying about frittering away £30 million? Ive never seen a trio of players written off so quickly.

Knee jerk would be " they are cra p sell them asap "" Or sack AVB".

I just have a nagging doubt based on the evidence I have seen. Sigi reminds me of the Leonhardsen signing and other players of that ilk.

Cazorla is the one who looks like a good buy.

I am not writing them off, I am just voicing doubts, which I hope are unfounded. We do have form, in buying players for the wrong reason at the wrong time.

Dembele will be fine.

Not too sure in what position Dempsey plays, not good enough on the ball for a n°10, no pace for the wings so i think we'll use him as a striker.

Sigurdsson, is a proper number 10, just totally out of confidence at the moment. Totally lost today.

Italian, Spanish and Portuguese players, don't play together often as well - so no that is not the reason they play like that. Technical ability or a lack of it is the reason.

How many of the top Spanish, italien and Portugese players play together though?

I mean you get 20ish of the Spanish players from Barca/Real, so they do play together often. Which, added to the fact that they have the most talented players, means they are used to playing together, thus they play better.

Last edited:
How many of the top Spanish, italien and Portugese players play together though?

I mean you get 20ish of the Spanish players from Barca/Real, so they do play together often. Which, added to the fact that they have the most talented players, means they are used to playing together, thus they play better.

Brazil , Argentina . I don't think it is the reason, if anything our players would benefit from playing abroad, they play abroad less than most others.

Knee jerk would be " they are cra p sell them asap "" Or sack AVB".

I just have a nagging doubt based on the evidence I have seen. Sigi reminds me of the Leonhardsen signing and other players of that ilk.

Cazorla is the one who looks like a good buy.

I am not writing them off, I am just voicing doubts, which I hope are unfounded. We do have form, in buying players for the wrong reason at the wrong time.

I'll admit so far i have been disappointed with Sigi. Having seen some of his performances last season and the quality of his goal in pre-season i expected him to come in and have more of impact on games than we have seen so far. I'm hopeful though that he will turn it around, as i say it is early days and when we have gelled more as a team maybe we will see more from him.

I completely understand having concerns. Im not exactly blown away with the performances of some players or the team in general however i feel there are some positives to see and think if we try not to get carried away with negativity at this early stage of the season we will see more consistently good performances than bad in a month or 2's time.

I think your thread title comes across as a bit dramatic, giving an end of days kind of vibe but to be fair i do understand your concerns even if i think its a bit early to be putting them out there as legitimate fears. I think for everyone we need to apply some patience and hopefully things will come good.

Because the manager is doing a poor job of picking the best system for the players. Or more recently the players aren't good enough.

I think our players are good enough, so that leaves the manager comparison...

Dembele - very good player. The other 2, hopefully decent squad players but probably not long term 1st teamers.

Dembele is good at 15m. Excellent actually.

Dempsey/Sig - meh signings. Not sure really. I didnt rate them before.

Doesnt make sense your title anyways as we would definitely make some money back on any sale even if it aint a profit. So you gotta net the sale and the purchase values.

It's a funny old game. Last week the press would have us believe that our brand new manager had just 3/4 games to save his career. This week we we're 2 points from 3rd and apparently we've wasted £30m including a midfielder who scored 7 in 15 Prem starts last season and another who is being tentatively hailed by ex players and professional pundits as the closest to Zidane they have seen in some years.

You have to laugh really.

Back