• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Have we frittered away £30m ?

If Spurs are to ever compete with the big boys is in the league, then all major transfer signing have to be spot on. It simply can't be allowed to make so many mistakes at the transfer market, as have been made over the past 4-5 years. The new style we have become known for is about pace, creativity and flair, then don't buy replacements that doesn't fulfill these requirements, no matter how well they have performed at other clubs.

It's not all terrible though as Lloris, Vertonghen and Dembele all look very good and they were even bought at reasonable prices.

I know it might sound harsh, but I would seriously prefer that we caught our losses and sold Dempsey and Gylfi in the next window rather than keeping them, only to see the players value continue to drop. Giving players extra time to settle didn't really make Pavlyuchenko, Dos Santos, Bentley and Bent any better, it only decreased their resale value.

I'm in no way demanding quality performances right from the start, but I look desperately for some sign of promise, especially from Gylfi as he's still young, but I simply can't see it, sorry.

It comes from the top - a strategy - the strategy should be we want CL football and AVB is the man to get it and to achieve that aim we will need to back the Manager and buy the players HE WANTS.

selling Dempsey and buying Berbatov..........genius =D>

we could have signed Berbatov. Was available for 5 mill too ](*,)

to be honest i think this is why i hate dempsey so much, he is not bad just so GHod damn average, and there was berbatov, oh fudge im going to cry again

i would give Sigurdsson time. He is young, is lacking confidence and is playing in a team that is performing poorly

I know Gylfi is still young and obviously lacks confidence, so we'll probably see some improvement from him over time. I just don't think he'll ever come close to the level required for a player in that position, which I base on his relatively slow movemement and lack of dribbling skills, which isn't a thing that develops over time. He's got other qualities such as good pass and long shot, but I don't believe these qualities can make up for the other skills in the long run.

I admit I really hope he proves me wrong and makes huge improvements, as he seems like a nice guy with the right attitude. I just think it would be a mistake to stick with a player, that lacks some fundamental skills for the perhaps most important position in AVB's formation.

It comes from the top - a strategy - the strategy should be we want CL football and AVB is the man to get it and to achieve that aim we will need to back the Manager and buy the players HE WANTS.

Sure, but only if we can afford them and they want to come to us. And their clubs want to let them go.

As far as im concerned not really. I guess I dont get brought by the MoTD highlights. He is a highlights player - one goal or one pass and he had a great game type player. People got carried away because he scored a couple of goals - I just think 8m (if to be believed) was just too much. Maybe at 2m and a back up id have him as he could pull a goal or two out of nowhere.

I would love to be proved wrong.

im reapeating myself here now but i saw him numerous times last year and he s not the same player,we're not playing him in his best position.

Interesting - did you watch him live? What did you see from him and what role was he playing?

I saw Swansea several times on TV and paid special attention to him to see what he did to score so regularly. To me, he didn't get involved in build-up play at Swansea at all. There were 9 other outfield players passing and moving. Sigurdsson's role was specifically to pop up at the edge of the box in space and get a shot away. Otherwise you didn't see him in a game. It was my concern when we signed him. Unfortunately its turning out accurate so far for us, except he isn't scoring either. You can't carry 2 players like that - i.e. him and Defoe in a team. So...I pretty much think DHSF's opinion is bang on.

Sure, but only if we can afford them and they want to come to us. And their clubs want to let them go.

Aye, but selling VdV and Modric and getting in Demsey, Sigurdsson and Dembele? Two have shown that they need to improve massively if they want to get anywhere near the standard of player that they've been bought to replace (that of VdV, specifically), and the one that did turn out to be a good signing's injured, and probably will be for the next, vital month.

It was a massive mistake, in hindsight. Hindsight's a funny thing, though, because at the time I thought we had a rather good window, all things considered.

We'd bought Lloris, Vertonghen, Ade, Sig, Dempsey and Dembele. But, out of those, Lloris has barely played, Ade's been injured for 8 out of the ten league games played so far, Dempsey and Sig have failed to impress and Dembele did his hip. Sigh. It's still a bit early to judge the signings,I suppose. I mean, once Lloris is established in the side, Ade returns to fitness and Dembele recovers from his hip problem...things'll look better. At the moment, though, it's looking like one of Levy's few big mistakes during his time at Spurs.

im reapeating myself here now but i saw him numerous times last year and he s not the same player,we're not playing him in his best position.

What is his best position in your opinion?

Didn't he play just behind the striker most of his games for Swansea with Allen and Britton behind him?

As for Sig and Dempsey I will continue to reserve my judgement. They are both struggling a bit, but they are both trying very hard and making an effort at least.

They're not the first attacking midfielders or strikers who struggle to form an effective partnership with Defoe. They are both being compared to VdV, but I feel people have seriously rose tinted glasses when it comes to VdV. He was outstanding at his best, but his performances varied too and he wasn't always effective. He actually was at his best playing alongside Crouch and looked far from outstanding most of the time he played alongside Defoe.

If we go with Ade and Defoe or Ade and Sig/Dempsey going forward with Ade returning is a different question, but I think we might see better games from both Sig and Dempsey when playing behind Ade.

Oh, and the thread title remains a joke as it includes Dembele who is making it clear to (almost?) everyone just how good he is by being injured and sorely missed.

Back