• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
I agree with the over-rating our own players and under-rating players of other teams. I seem to remember people doing a hybrid Chelsea-Tottenham starting eleven a while ago and putting in about one or two Chelsea players. But this is not behaviour exclusive to Spurs fans, all fans do it.

I think many of our fans under-rate how good Arsenal are but I think overall, Van Persie lifts them up a level above what the rest of them can do.

And yes, Chelsea's season has been a failure. Which is why its important we take advantage of that. Not finish 5th and then console ourselves with the thought that Chelsea played like utter brick for most of the season, had a season classed as a failure and yet still finished above us.

We finished 5th last season. We improved the squad. Chelsea and Arsenal finished 3rd and 4th. Chelsea aged another year, went through a new manager while Arsenal lost 2 of their 3 best players. And to have had a big points gap over these two, only to then finish in the exact same position as last season, watching them both pass us by isn't a failure? Give me a break.

Agreed. At the start of this season I'd have been more than happy just for us to finish 4th. However that was before I got to see what a mess AVB would make at Chelsea and how poorly ARSEnal have coped with loss of their 2 best players plus the injury to Wiltshire.

With all that in mind and considering most of our key players (Modric, Bale, Parker, Walker, Ade, BAE) have managed to avoid any significant injuries this season I would be absolutely gutted if we now threw away a double digit lead over those 2 clubs.

Last edited:
I agree with the over-rating our own players and under-rating players of other teams. I seem to remember people doing a hybrid Chelsea-Tottenham starting eleven a while ago and putting in about one or two Chelsea players. But this is not behaviour exclusive to Spurs fans, all fans do it.

I think many of our fans under-rate how good Arsenal are but I think overall, Van Persie lifts them up a level above what the rest of them can do.

And yes, Chelsea's season has been a failure. Which is why its important we take advantage of that. Not finish 5th and then console ourselves with the thought that Chelsea played like utter brick for most of the season, had a season classed as a failure and yet still finished above us.

I agree totally with the bit in bold. But the season runs over 38 games. I say we judge ourselves after that, not before. If we finish 3rd then those going to hyperbole after yesterdays result will look rather foolish and dare I say will have lost all credibility in future footballing debates on this forum.

Agreed. At the start of this season I'd have been more than happy just for us to finish 4th. However that was before I got to see what a mess AVB would make at Chelsea and how poorly ARSEnal have coped with loss of their 2 best players plus the injury to Wiltshire.

With all that in mind and considering most of our key players (Modric, Bale, Parker, Walker, Ade, BAE) have managed to avoid any significant injuries this season I would be absolutely gutted if we now threw away a double digit lead over those 2 clubs.

That's our perception in my opinion. Arsenal had a truly horrific first few games of the season, but since then there points gathering has been title form.

I agree totally with the bit in bold. But the season runs over 38 games. I say we judge ourselves after that, not before. If we finish 3rd then those going to hyperbole after yesterdays result will look rather foolish and dare I say will have lost all credibility in future footballing debates on this forum.

I never had any anyway so no matter:lol: i would have been the first fudger on a lifeboat when the ship hit an iceberg though. I think the thing for me is i was/am a massive jol fan and i saw redknapp come along and take his mantle and it sat uneasy with me, i would have loved to see what jol could have done with a squad as good as ours is now.

Being wrong doesn't mean that you lose all your credibility.

Good for you seeing as you wrote that Ekotto is "fudging useless" not 20 minutes before this post.

Anyone watch Redknapp's post-match interview for the BBC? Clearly not happy, and the chippiest I've seen him coming across in a while. For the first minute or so, it was almost like watching AVB.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17328633

Harry: ... couldn't have asked for more from the players than what they gave in the second half.
Interviewer: Is that the message you have given to your players?
Harry: [long break] Well, what I have given the players in there is between me and the players.

Like most people I obviously read into things what I want and most of the times it will align itself with my opinions. To me that is Harry saying that he wasn't pleased at all with how we started the game and hopefully as a result we will see a team next week coming out of the blocks looking to perform from the whistle.

Ending this season 5th, having at one point been 10+ points ahead of the competitors in 5th place and having spent most of the season in 3rd is a failure. I'm not sure how that can even be argued, having had the 28 games we've already had?
I agree. Getting Champions League football again for next season was the aim for this season. If we end up in 5th then we haven't achieved that goal and therefore we have failed.

Being wrong doesn't mean that you lose all your credibility.

Good for you seeing as you wrote that Ekotto is "fudging useless" not 20 minutes before this post.

Kneejerks have no creditibility. We've just lost games against extremely tough opposition. My GHod, the end of the world has come!!!!!

I've been saying Ekotto is brick for years, and nothing has changed. The last three seasons people "claim" he has improved. He hasn't. The team has improved, and as such the defence is put under less pressure. Less pressure equates to him not making as many mistakes due to less situations for him to perform fudge ups. Soon as we are under pressure, he returns to type.

Anyone watch Redknapp's post-match interview for the BBC? Clearly not happy, and the chippiest I've seen him coming across in a while. For the first minute or so, it was almost like watching AVB.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17328633

Just listened to Arry. he seems to be in denial. He doesnt seem to take any responsibility for the dire first half performance and instead insists "we battered em second half". We must have been watching different games. Who on here thought we were going to score in that game?

dunno about that, there have been plenty of poor first half's followed by big improvements this season IMO

There might have been a lot of that this season, but it happened more last season, I remember journalists reporting that we had made the most comebacks to win games of any team in the league, the most comebacks in a season ever etc.

I still think Jol is an underappreciated manager. He achieved a lot at Spurs, but his detractors are only willing to attribute the club's failings during his stewardship to him, his successes are of course always down to external factors, such as the other teams in the prem, the type of wind in the stadium etc etc flimflam flimflam

I still think Jol is an underappreciated manager. He achieved a lot at Spurs, but his detractors are only willing to attribute the club's failings during his stewardship to him, his successes are of course always down to external factors, such as the other teams in the prem, the type of wind in the stadium etc etc flimflam flimflam

Does it not often tend to work the other way too? All his failings are either blamed on the chairman or Damien Comolli but rarely a mention of Frank Arnesen when the credit is being considered. It can't work both ways. Either the Sporting Director had enough influence to hurt his performance or help his performance or not at all?

On the second point - No, what is usually said that his achievements should be put in context. If not, then we'd be left hailing Mancini as some sort of genius for 'turning Emirates Marketing Project around' from midtable to title challengers. Of course, this would be absurd. You've got to look at the bigger picture. So what of Jol's achievements in this respect? Well, the likes of Redknapp (at West Ham), George Burley, Glenn Roeder, Mark Hughes, Graeme Souness, David Moyes, Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley, John Gregory and Steve McClaren have all achieved top 6 finishes and/or Uefa Cup qualification through the league in recent times, with either much less resources or a fraction of the resources that the likes of Jol had available at Spurs between 2004-2007. Some of them also won major trophies, unlike Jol. Therefore their achievements are more considerable IMO. And if the likes of West Ham, Ipswich, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Villa, Everton, Fulham, Blackburn and Bolton can boast of better achievements in recent times, what does this tell us?

This isn't to deny he was a better coach than the few who went before him but this shouldn't be confused with the bigger picture, which it often is. Being better than or achieving more than someone like Ossie Ardlies or Christian Gross does not a) make you a genius b) make your achievements particularly outstanding. If you looked at this sort of thing in its context, then you probably wouldn't be wondering what he's now doing at Fulham, having managed Ajax and Hamburg! I don't know if you were one of them but many told us when he left we'd regret it and he'd be back to haunt us. Has that been the case? Not at all. So what happened? Quite simply, perhaps he wasn't as good as you or other people thought?

Harry gets too cautious at the end of the season - we need to go for it

Two DMs against Everton - who are not the most dangerous team. Pick a team and a formation that gets as many of your best players playing and in their best positions.

VdV for Sandro would and did get us that, when he made the change , we looked our most dangerous. If he did not start with that, at 1 nil down at HT , he should have done it.

Against Man Utd he did not go for it, he did not even bring Defoe on until we were 2 nil down, he seemed more worried about losing 4 or 5 nil that trying top pull it back.

He needs to throw off the shackles and sometimed just go for it. He should remember Fergie's adage " Have as many goalscorers on the pitch as possible when you are losing and need a goal.

Livermore for Parker with 5 mins to go, what was he afraid of? Bring Nico on. Livermore found himself in a goalsoring oppurtunity, but blew it by passing out wide.

We may lose out because he is too timid when it matters.

tbf i seem to recall him going for it the season we finished 4th

3 bad results on the spin in tough fixtures - lets not push the panic button just yet

tbf i seem to recall him going for it the season we finished 4th

3 bad results on the spin in tough fixtures - lets not push the panic button just yet

Exactly - he did go for it more that year. 1 nil down with 5 mins left and he brings on a non scoring DM. 2 nil down and he waits until 3 nil down to bring on his top scorer.

These are the little thing that seperate the Fergie's from managers like Harry.

Can't believe im the one who has to start this thread . . .

but can we all please lay off Redknapp and the team for 5 minutes and gain some friggin perspective !

we're in March, 2 months and 11 games until the end of the season and we are 3rd in the league FFS - we have just had our worst run of the season and still find ourselves above Arsenal and Chelsea in the league, not to mention the fact we have a great chance of advancing to the FA Cup semi final's at the weekend with a real possibility of winning it for the first time in over 20 years.

some of the stuff ive read on here since the Everton game has just been ludicrous, we are in a fantastic position that anyone would have given their right arm for at the start of the season especially after the first two games when i think not even the most optimistic of posters would have predicted that we would be in this position right now.

we're supposed to be supporters, so fudging support the team (and the management) in what is the most important part of the season - if we're acting like it's all over, who can blame the team for feeling the same way ?

3rd place is in OUR hands

COYS

Back