• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

What would it have cost, and where would the money have come from?
I don’t have the specific numbers to hand. But possibly not that much to support poch with refreshing the squad when he wanted to. 5 million more would have got Grealish, a few more million would have got Dybala. They could have sold the players poch wanted to get rid of. Maybe they could have kept Mou for the Carabao cup final?
The money would have been the same money they always spend.

You think reddit is pro ENIC? fudging hell mate, reddit & twitter are all in on bad bald man model.

Defo, mate. Look at the responses to Ali Gold's tweet on the state of the club selling it's homegrown hero Kane here -

..it's just one example, but coys has always been like that - lots of happy clapper Americans thinking Levy is some Moneyball genius that took a League 2 team to the big time.

This is forum is by nature a bunch of us older ones, and I'm not doing the debate again, because it comes back to the same thing over and fudging over

- Success in the PL requires more investment than any club generates in legitimate revenue, i.e. sugar daddy/money doping
- ENIC doesn't do that, hence we play with a handicap and it shows

1. Some people understand that (doesn't mean we like it, or endorse it), but understand it
2. Some people outright want the money doping and are honest enough to admit it, regardless of where the money comes from
3. Some people want the success but don't want to admit what that would entail so somehow make it to be ENIC is some kind of cartoon villain or incompetent buffoon that a blind donkey in charge would have done better.

And some people think ENIC are incompetent, criminal (at least, Joe Lewis is) and also a handicap because of their refusal to spend in comparison to the Premier League's many, many more ambitious owners.

I want investment, sure. I have a few scruple about where the money comes from, but not about ambitious owners that want to invest - that is 100% fine by me.

I also think that ENIC are not only useless deadweights in that regard, but they also habitually make poor decisions and are only sustained by the fact that we make a lot of money ourselves being a relatively historically successful London team with a large fanbase, and thus can afford to bear their mistakes while hovering in upper mid-table. Two things can be true at the same time.

And this is exactly why ENIC are useless - because we hired 'win now' managers and then *did not give them the tools they need to win*. They half-assed it, like every single thing they do.

Let's be clear - no one was looking forward to Mourinho or Conte for the football. No one. It was going to be dreary, dull, attritional. People accepted it because they thought it would be what made us win.

But to win, both those managers needed top-quality players. And as he has always done for 22 years, Levy cheaped out when it came to that. Mourinho wanted Skriniar, he got Rodon. Conte wanted Bastoni, he got Lenglet. He wanted a world-class right back, he got Died Spence (Porro came too late to matter).

You don't hire demanding, high-maintenance, win-now managers and then give them the same brick you gave project managers. That will fail, and it did.

Levy hired two defensive managers and bought them one good defender in Romero, across three years. He wanted to pretend to be ambitious, but balked at actual ambition.

This is why we fail, mate.

Hiring those managers isn't the issue, you can't blame Levy for attempting to achieve what you wanted. The criticism is the short-termist view from fans and Levy, when it takes time to build a squad. We don't have an oil well funding signing, so we can't afford unlimted players or a 50m flop. The only way we are/were going to beat the oiled clubs is to be brilliant in the transfer market. Brilliant players are not available all of the time. It requires patience, scouting, planning and consistency. So really a fair criticism of Levy is that he listened to the likes of you and tried to spend on instant gratification mangers, when we had to stick to plan A and build step by step.

Oh yeah! What a game! ❤️

For sure mate - one of the only games I had the time to play post uni, but it blew me away with how deep the story went and how colourful Revachol was as a setting.

The game's theme being about failure and how you react to it/deal with it/make your peace with it is also *very* Spurs, tbh. ;)

Hiring those managers isn't the issue, you can't blame Levy for attempting to achieve what you wanted. The criticism is the short-termist view from fans and Levy, when it takes time to build a squad. We don't have an oil well funding signing, so we can't afford unlimted players or a 50m flop. The only way we are/were going to beat the oiled clubs is to be brilliant in the transfer market. Brilliant players are not available all of the time. It requires patience, scouting, planning and consistency. So really a fair criticism of Levy is that he listened to the likes of you and tried to spend on instant gratification mangers, when we had to stick to plan A and build step by step.

You're not getting me mate. He didn't do that, at all. He hired 'win-now' managers and then didn't give them the players they wanted, and needed, to win.

That is the definition of a pointless, half-hearted waste of time, and so it turned out. When Mourinho was appointed, I was still grieving Poch, but my hope was that it meant Levy would actually act like the head of a big club and sign the players he wanted. He didn't. Same thing with Conte. He didn't.

He tried the cheap route to success, it blew up in his face, as most things do.

As for identifying players, Mourinho identified Skriniar. He was willing to come. Would have cost 35m, 40m, something like that. Steve 'I hate January' Hitchens went over to sign him. Levy balked at the fee. Bought Rodon instead. Skriniar was, and is, one of the best CBs in the world. It cost us.

Conte wanted Bastoni. Would have cost 60m+. We balked at doing what it took to get him. Brought Lenglet on loan instead. He wanted a right back - lots of options, but we went with Djed Spence, a Champo kid no one wanted. It cost us.

This is why we fail.

You're not getting me mate. He didn't do that, at all. He hired 'win-now' managers and then didn't give them the players they wanted, and needed, to win.

That is the definition of a pointless, half-hearted waste of time, and so it turned out. When Mourinho was appointed, I was still grieving Poch, but my hope was that it meant Levy would actually act like the head of a big club and sign the players he wanted. He didn't. Same thing with Conte. He didn't.

As for identifying players, Mourinho identified Skriniar. He was willing to come. Would have cost 35m, 40m, something like that. Steve 'I hate January' Hitchens went over to sign him. Levy balked at the fee. Bought Rodon instead. Skriniar was, and is, one of the best CBs in the world. It cost us.

Conte wanted Bastoni. Would have cost 60m+. We balked at doing what it took to get him. Brought Lenglet on loan instead. He wanted a right back - lots of options, but we went with Djed Spence, a Champo kid no one wanted. It cost us.

This is why we fail.

If they'd won a trophy would you say the same? I'll never blame anyone for giving things their best shot. We don't have an oil well funding our transers. We don't have unlimitied funds. Maybe you have oodles of cash and can have everything you desire? It is not a reality most people experience, why do you apply that to Spurs? As though the rules are different in this club?

CL final, we played a superior team. 2 x League Cup finals, we played a superior team.

All three times we could have won something, we went out to teams with better players than us, a better bench than ours, more ambition than ours.

The stronger team with better players generally wins. We have not been the stronger side in most of our eliminations. This is entirely due to Daniel Levy, and Joe Lewis - an odious criminal and tax exile, and his henchman in chief, and the way they run the club.

so by your logic, unless you have the best team in the land, why bother?

can you clarify your issue here? You just seem to be using Kane going to reignite your beef with ENIC not playing Champ Manager. Are you annoyed we sold 30 year old Kane for £100 even though he has 11 months of a deal to run? You do realise that at some Point in the next 2/3 years we would beed to replace Kane anyway?

This is why we fail.

Do we fail? At what, winning something? What does that have to do with Kane going to Munich this weekend? Im struggling to see your beef...

so by your logic, unless you have the best team in the land, why bother?

can you clarify your issue here? You just seem to be using Kane going to reignite your beef with ENIC not playing Champ Manager. Are you annoyed we sold 30 year old Kane for £100 even though he has 11 months of a deal to run? You do realise that at some Point in the next 2/3 years we would beed to replace Kane anyway?

Kane is leaving to win trophies he can't win here, after giving us a decade of trying. He can't win them here because we have ENIC as owners.

I am saddened we are in this position where a Spurs lad through and through has to go to Germany to win things because of our ownership. No other reason than that - it is because our owners have no ambition and have sucked all hope of winning anything out of this club.

And yes, imo, more people should be angry about this. Some are - I am just hoping more grow angry in time.

As for winning trophies, the aim is to build the best team in the land, to win them. That is what you generally need. Under these owners that is impossible.

Under new owners, that would be very possible. The aim is to be in a place where in future the Kane of tomorrow won't have to leave a club utterly unable to compete for trophies of any kind because of being owned by a tax exile criminal with zero interest in Spurs, and his utterly mediocre henchman whose only interest is protecting his boss's money.

Kane is leaving to win trophies he can't win here, after giving us a decade of trying. He can't win them here because we have ENIC as owners.

I am saddened we are in this position where a Spurs lad through and through has to go to Germany to win things because of our ownership. No other reason than that - it is because our owners have no ambition and have sucked all hope of winning anything out of this club.

And yes, imo, more people should be angry about this. Some are - I am just hoping more grow angry in time.

But Kane, and Spurs, could 100% have won trophies as i pointed out. 3 finals and 5 semi finals in his Spurs career. The opportunities have been there and Kane has had 2/10 performances in all. Most teams dont get that in their lifetime. If anything, it is the antithesis of 'sucking the hope out of winning anything'.

But Kane, and Spurs, could 100% have won trophies as i pointed out. 3 finals and 5 semi finals in his Spurs career. The opportunities have been there and Kane has had 2/10 performances in all. Most teams dont get that in their lifetime. If anything, it is the antithesis of 'sucking the hope out of winning anything'.

And then we come back to the fact that we were the weaker team in almost all those games.

We were likely to lose, and lose we did, to opponents who were better funded, more ambitious, more ready to build the teams needed to win things.

We lost time and again without ever even trying to compete at that level. Instead we just resigned ourselves to building weaker, cheaper teams than our opponents, and seeing if we could fluke a victory against the odds, which never happened.

That is 100% sucking the hope out of it, if it happens enough times - which it did.

And then we come back to the fact that we were the weaker team in almost all those games.

We were likely to lose, and lose we did, to opponents who were better funded, more ambitious, more ready to build the teams needed to win things.

We lost time and again without ever even trying to compete at that level. Instead we just resigned ourselves to building weaker, cheaper teams than our opponents, and seeing if we could fluke a victory against the odds, which never happened.

That is 100% sucking the hope out of it, if it happens enough times - which it did.

But this is real life, no a computer game. we lost in an unfair fight against teams with unlimited/far bigger funds. By your logic we could never have won a trophy as there would always be a better team as those with more funs would have just bought better players when we improved. Its all relative. Using your logic, we did bloody well just to get to the final - i.e last 2.

i would counter, however, and point out we have beaten teams that are better than us over

And lets be honest @DubaiSpur Spurs of yesteryear would have Kane prised away 5 years ago. It is frustrating we didn't win something with kane. Levy tried hiring Mourinho and Conte for two main reasons: the deafening clammer from fans to snare a trophy and to keep Kane happy and make the most of him while we had him. Some logic in hiring managers who had the best trophy stats going. That that was the wrong move, is a bit of an indictment of the cry-me-a-trophy fans, and Levy for not ignoring them. Had we been able to stick to a plan and not attempted a short-cut manager appoointment, maybe we'd have got there building in increments. Using our funds more carefully to sign better players is the only way to jump up the ranks and get ahead of the oiled clubs. I think we are going back to such a setup now, and while we'll miss Kane, I have a funny feeling he might win silverware with us as a manager.
It’s quite a reach to blame the fans… why shouldn’t they want silverware, we have come so close numerous times, have had to suffer whilst our two biggest rivals have had the most successful periods in their history,

I honestly don’t see what’s wrong with that.
There is logic in hiring win-now managers if you are prepared to work with the parameters they are used to, our owners were not.

Incrementally building the team wasn’t something we did, in a position of strength we failed to push on.

Of course fans want success, of course when we have a world class striker who came up through the ranks l, we should have done our utmost to build around him.

However the suspicion was that in the end the cycle would come around and yet another world class player will realise under ENIC, Spurs have a level and to win trophies and be at a truly elite level they will need to move on.

It just happened later with Harry because he had a genuine affection for the club

For sure mate - one of the only games I had the time to play post uni, but it blew me away with how deep the story went and how colourful Revachol was as a setting.

The game's theme being about failure and how you react to it/deal with it/make your peace with it is also *very* Spurs, tbh. ;)

I know! I have so much to tell you dub. Soon enough my friend. Soon enough. :)

4 year contract? so he has chosen winning a pointless Bundesliga trophy that will still not been seen as good enough by most rather than beating the record and becoming a Spurs legend? incredible, i have lost a little respect for him now.
Stuff like this is embarrassing.

Firstly he is a Spurs legend. And you have to be seriously deluded to think being PL all time goalscorer is more important than that feeling of lifting trophies.

Honestly, the amount of straw clutching people have had on here in recent weeks about why Kane should or will stay has been quite frankly delusional - no other player at his level has had to settle for such a bare cupboard of silverware, and I'm just glad it's coming to an end and some will finally have to accept the reality of what is most important to him and just about any elite player. Just be thankful he stuck around for as long as he did....

As for winning trophies, the aim is to build the best team in the land, to win them. That is what you generally need. Under these owners that is impossible.

Under new owners, that would be very possible. The aim is to be in a place where in future the Kane of tomorrow won't have to leave a club utterly unable to compete for trophies of any kind because of being owned by a tax exile criminal with zero interest in Spurs, and his utterly mediocre henchman whose only interest is protecting his boss's money.

This is not on the owners. Spurs has reached finals. Also it is not Levy's fault that players couldn't beat sides that are weaker than them on paper. I wish Kane well but to blame Levy for this scenario is harsh and unrealistic. Spurs provided Kane with a solid environment to excel. We have won trophies without Kane and we will continue to win trophies and be strong without him.

Back