• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Either that or it’s his primary focus in training. Given how well he can pass the ball, and how accurate he is with his finishing, it’s somewhat surprising how poor his free kicks record is.

We would also need to have a player in our squad who was competent at free kicks so that they could take over the duty. Dier has been the best of the picks from what I have seen. But even he’s not that good at them. I remember he scored v Russia in Euro 2016, and came close against I think it was Leeds this season, and maybe Brighton/Villa last season. But that’s it as far as I can recall.

I think Son can take freekicks but he doesn't impose himself enough for it.
I also thing that its in Kane's contract so you don't see anyone arguing him for it. Not even the coaches.

It's not like we have anyone else even close to top class at direct free kicks. Dier takes some, he's decent at it, but how many would he realistically score had he taken all? Not that many I'd guess.

Not much in it, Kane takes most because maybe some day he'll come good at this too. It's fine, whatever, not much in it imo.

If we had someone else really good at these and he kept taking them it would be an issue.

It's not like we have anyone else even close to top class at direct free kicks. Dier takes some, he's decent at it, but how many would he realistically score had he taken all? Not that many I'd guess.

Not much in it, Kane takes most because maybe some day he'll come good at this too. It's fine, whatever, not much in it imo.

If we had someone else really good at these and he kept taking them it would be an issue.
Eh? Almost every time I’ve seen Dier take a direct free kick he has worked the keeper. He has also scored a great free kick against Russia in the Euro 2016 - funnily enough Kane was also behind this free kick but walked away from it. Not much in it? Kane might come good?o_O

https://www.google.com/search?q=die...ate=ive&vld=cid:aabc7cc1,vid:8G4bkpv_Y-4,st:0

We had trippier and harry was taking free kicks, and if i remember right he even took some when Eriksen was here.

In his last game for England( Euros 92 ) he was subbed off by Taylor and he fell out with Taylor over that, plus in a friendly before that tournament he missed a penalty against Brazil which would have equaled Chatltons record.

Some of its to do with who else was around. Shearer (and Hirst) was starting to bang on the door around 92/93. Similarly Kane started forcing out Rooney. And Owen and Rooney was never a particularly complementary partnership, so managers then used to tinker and give more time to lesser players

Eh? Almost every time I’ve seen Dier take a direct free kick he has worked the keeper. He has also scored a great free kick against Russia in the Euro 2016 - funnily enough Kane was also behind this free kick but walked away from it. Not much in it? Kane might come good?o_O

https://www.google.com/search?q=dier free kick england goal&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-m#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:aabc7cc1,vid:8G4bkpv_Y-4,st:0

Yeah. Dier is decent at them, but wouldn't expect him to score at a particularly good rate either. He now takes some, Kane takes some. Not much in it. Low probability chance with either of them, not much of a difference.

We had trippier and harry was taking free kicks, and if i remember right he even took some when Eriksen was here.

Eriksen was here longer than Trippier. IIRC Eriksen took most of them, but his conversion rate dropped off a cliff so others got some of the chances, including Kane.

Would have let Trippier take free kicks over Kane, but Trippier isn't here now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=die...ate=ive&vld=cid:aabc7cc1,vid:8G4bkpv_Y-4,st:0
I wonder what Dier's overall conversion rate is?

I'm sure there are more authoritative sources out there, but this article credits James Ward-Prowse with a conversion rate of 13.3%, so about 1 in 7, which is phenomenal. Beckham's career average was 1 in 15. I've seen another article crediting Eriksen with just 5.7% (1 in 17.5) between 2017 and leaving us.
https://www.sportsmax.tv/football/i...ry-he-s-the-best-free-kick-taker-in-the-world

In short, a direct free kick isn't a high-percentage chance. I've always wondered why more teams don't use clever routines, almost American Football style, when given the chance. Working the keeper is a good outcome, as it might at least give a follow-up chance.

I'm sure there are more authoritative sources out there, but this article credits James Ward-Prowse with a conversion rate of 13.3%, so about 1 in 7, which is phenomenal. Beckham's career average was 1 in 15. I've seen another article crediting Eriksen with just 5.7% (1 in 17.5) between 2017 and leaving us.
https://www.sportsmax.tv/football/i...ry-he-s-the-best-free-kick-taker-in-the-world

In short, a direct free kick isn't a high-percentage chance. I've always wondered why more teams don't use clever routines, almost American Football style, when given the chance. Working the keeper is a good outcome, as it might at least give a follow-up chance.
Oh absolutely it’s not a high percentage chance at all. But Kane has been quite frankly terrible at them for YEARS. In a small sample size Dier has shown to be better at them. Why do you think Dier who is a CB and not well known to be a great free kick taker was given licence to take one in a Euros tournament (and deliver brilliantly)? Clearly because he has shown in training to be very good at them. Kane is more likely taking them because of who he is, and even if he is the worlds best at them in training he is awful in a real match situation and should really be off them well before now. In short, what on earth do we have to lose by Dier taking them who has proven in a match situation a handful of times to show at least good technique and working the keeper?

I remember henry did an interview with kane years ago. He asked him why he wasn't taking free kicks? Then told him if he wants to break records he needed to be taking the freekicks.

Yeah. Dier is decent at them, but wouldn't expect him to score at a particularly good rate either. He now takes some, Kane takes some. Not much in it. Low probability chance with either of them, not much of a difference.

Eriksen was here longer than Trippier. IIRC Eriksen took most of them, but his conversion rate dropped off a cliff so others got some of the chances, including Kane.

Would have let Trippier take free kicks over Kane, but Trippier isn't here now.

Eriksen drop off at set pieces in general was weird, he seemed to lose confidence.
Even having two of them mixing it between them would be a good idea, but we always juat seem to have one designated taker.
Strange.

Oh absolutely it’s not a high percentage chance at all. But Kane has been quite frankly terrible at them for YEARS. In a small sample size Dier has shown to be better at them. Why do you think Dier who is a CB and not well known to be a great free kick taker was given licence to take one in a Euros tournament (and deliver brilliantly)? Clearly because he has shown in training to be very good at them. Kane is more likely taking them because of who he is, and even if he is the worlds best at them in training he is awful in a real match situation and should really be off them well before now. In short, what on earth do we have to lose by Dier taking them who has proven in a match situation a handful of times to show at least good technique and working the keeper?
It would mean that Dier is stuck up the pitch if the opposition counter-attack...but then, that's the same for corners and free kicks from non-scoring positions.

On the other hand, it would mean Kane, our most dangerous finisher, would be hanging around the box in the event of a loose ball.

It would mean that Dier is stuck up the pitch if the opposition counter-attack...but then, that's the same for corners and free kicks from non-scoring positions.

On the other hand, it would mean Kane, our most dangerous finisher, would be hanging around the box in the event of a loose ball.

That's the argument we need to put to him. You'd get more goals not taking free kicks.

So if Kane was as good/bad as Eriksen at free kicks we'd have 3 more goals over the past few seasons? Kinda puts it in to perspective- not that i don't think someone else should be taking them

So if Kane was as good/bad as Eriksen at free kicks we'd have 3 more goals over the past few seasons? Kinda puts it in to perspective- not that i don't think someone else should be taking them
Probably a few more than that, as the conversion rate is per free kick. I guess there must be 3 or 4 free kicks per game from shooting positions, so you'd expect Eriksen to have scored one every 5 games. Although that seems a little high.

Back