• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Why are you so desperate for us to sell Kane?

Why are you so desperate to prove Spurs is Tier 3 European club?
I'm not desperate for us to sell Kane I just think that it is now pretty much inevitable and want what is best for Nuno and his first team squad as opposed to what is best for Levy in looking like he has won the deal and getting £20m more in terms of a transfer fee but selling on deadline day.

I'm not desperate to prove that Spurs are a tier 3 european club, I don't think I need to do that anyway as we have proved it all by ourselves anyway by qualifying for the Euro minnows bowl competition.

I loved it when we were in amongst the big boys and looking like we might be set to compete as an equal to them for years to come. Unfortunately though we failed to try to improve from a position of strength and that complacency has cost us at least 2 years and (and how long exactly depends on how well we rebuild and if one or more of the bigger boys in the PL comes unstuck with their own rebuild). Seeing as our owners are not ones to put in their own money or dilute their equity as other PL owners are, we actually need money from sales in order to go through a rebuild and as we apparently have an astute operator in as DoF IMO it actually makes logical sense for us to use the Kane money to go about our rebuild. We can also do so while prices are typically much lower than normal due to covid depleting so many clubs' finances and while a good portion of our fanbase would probably accept a transitional season.

I will still be there for just about every game at home and many of those away cheering us on, hoping that we improve, hoping that we can dare to dream again. I just have a healthy sense of realism about where our club are currently at and how the ambitions of those in charge of us and those in charge of our rivals differ.

Last edited:
Jesus talk about s ome going off topic and talking about brick that happened years ago :rolleyes:. Kane is a top player and we can/ should all accept that but he is 100% wrong in what he is doing now. I have said over the last 12 months or so that i would not blame Kane wanting to move ( because ALL top players want to win things), but he is out of order by refusing to turn up and IMO i would sell him now ( but only if we get the price we want).

What bothers me most though is the " usual subjects" trying to put the blame ( once again on Levy). Kane is out of order and i am amazed that there are s ome who can not see that, Levy has made mistakes just like all of us ( and all those who have not are not being honest with themselves). Kane wants out fine but we should get the full amount we can.

Jesus talk about those like me going off topic and talking about brick that happened years ago :rolleyes:. Kane is a top player and we can/ should all accept that but he is 100% wrong in what he is doing now. I have said over the last 12 months or so that i would not blame Kane wanting to move ( because ALL top players want to win things), but he is out of order by refusing to turn up and IMO i would sell him now ( but only if we get the price we want).

What bothers me most though is the " usual subjects" trying to put the blame ( once again on Levy). Kane is out of order and i am amazed that there are those like me who can not see that, Levy has made mistakes just like all of us ( and all those who have not are not being honest with themselves). Kane wants out fine but we should get the full amount we can.
I'm not sure anyone has 'put the blame on Levy'?

I think everyone on here agrees that what Kane has done in refusing to come in to train/have his test is an extremely poor thing to do.

Sorry, can you define what you mean by 'powerful'? I've always defined football teams by how successful they are (which is pretty easy to measure by looking at the honours they have won). How is 'power' measured?

Power = money

City prior to 2008 was a fudging nothing club, but got money, that money would inevitably lead to honors (in fact in 15 years they have won more than they did in the 128 years prior).

That's what you fail to acknowledge time and time again, by getting a club into a top financial position (the City/Chelsea way or trying to grow it organically), it is a leading indicator of future success, that's why Spurs is not now nor will be a 3rd tier anything club

Sorry, can you define what you mean by 'powerful'? I've always defined football teams by how successful they are (which is pretty easy to measure by looking at the honours they have won). How is 'power' measured?
'Big club' etc is always one of those things that there is a difference of opinion on the definition, like the term 'world class'.

But I'd say pulling power of the club is what makes a powerful club - which means the club name and financial power, and ability to attract players.

For example, we finished 7th and in some tin pot European competition no one outside really cares about. Yet today it appears we've finalised a deal for 50m EUR plus to bring last seasons' best performing CB in Italy to the club. How many other clubs could do that outside the elite? Could a Dortmund finish ouside even the Europa and still acquire such a player, either financially or the player being attracted enough to come? Outside the real elite ie Real Madrid, Man U/City etc we can now compete with anyone in Europe in that sense.....

I'm not sure anyone has 'put the blame on Levy'?

I think everyone on here agrees that what Kane has done in refusing to come in to train/have his test is an extremely poor thing to do.

Listen mate i like your posts but it seems the majority of them are having s ome kind of dig at Levy ( no matter what thread they are in). Stop! Hammer time but it so obvious.

I'm not desperate for us to sell Kane I just think that it is now pretty much inevitable and want what is best for Nuno and his first team squad as opposed to what is best for Levy in looking like he has won the deal and getting £20m more in terms of a transfer fee but selling on deadline day.

I'm not desperate to prove that Spurs are a tier 3 european club, I don't think I need to do that anyway as we have proved it all by ourselves anyway by qualifying for the Euro minnows bowl competition.

I loved it when we were in amongst the big boys and looking like we might be set to compete as an equal to them for years to come. Unfortunately though we failed to try to improve from a position of strength and that complacency has cost us at least 2 years and (and how long exactly depends on how well we rebuild and if one or more of the bigger boys in the PL comes unstuck with their own rebuild). Seeing as our owners are not ones to put in their own money or dilute their equity as other PL owners are, we actually need money from sales in order to go through a rebuild and as we apparently have an astute operator in as DoF IMO it actually makes logical sense for us to use the Kane money to go about our rebuild. We can also do so while prices are typically much lower than normal due to covid depleting so many clubs' finances and while a good portion of our fanbase would probably accept a transitional season.

I will still be there for just about every game at home and many of those away cheering us on, hoping that we improve, hoping that we can dare to dream again. I just have a healthy sense of realism about where our club are currently at and how the ambitions of those in charge of us and those in charge of our rivals differ.
I think that's a fair point of view.

Personally I'd rinse City for as much as we can, as they have no limits on money.
And of course, I'd have to recognise that could well lead us into some of the problems you describe ie if it's a late sale.

Tbh Not selling would be the best outcome. There would be some gamble Kane sucks it up and refocuses. He is genuinely our best player though.

The other point not to miss here is, if you're looking to move to a position of strength, and even if we bought a VVD and Alison. Letting Kane go to City could quite easily rule you out of the 3 domestic competitions. They are near on brilliant already, to give them the best striker in the league (easily 40-50 goals a season) is locking you into 2nd place at best.

Chelsea in talks about re-acquiring Lukaku but have not reached Inter's valuation; £85m offer - which included Marcos Alonso - turned down by Italian champions;

Harry is twice the player Lukaku is, so this is another benchmark.

Mate, Luka Modric was the best midfielder in the world for probably 2-3 years with Madrid (even if I agree the award was a year or two late), similarly Bale absolutely tore it up in several finals for Madrid.

Were they good for us? = yes, were they better for Madrid? = absolutely (just look at Bale's passing/creativity when he returned to us as example), Modric absolutely bossed midfields against elite teams at 29-31, at best we got a year of their best from them, maybe stretch it to two.

We have had 5 years of Kane's prime, we had nothing close to that from Bale (who pretty much fudged off right after his breakthrough) or Modric (who we did get that one extra year from)

I disagree. I don't think either's performance level was higher with Madrid especially not Modric's I just recognise he played in a far better team with better teamates. Bossing the best in Europe great but he had Kroos as his partner at Spurs he had Huddleston's or Palacios. It's not even comparable, but his individual performance level was the same.

Modric was in his prime at Spurs, it's not even really debatable. Bale as I said is not a hill to die on, I think he was but cool you don't. Berbatov was undoubtedly in his prime also.

I'm not even understanding your point tbh. It's a team game not an individual one. The best balanced sides tend to be those that win. We could win things with a worse striker than Kane but with a better balanced side, it wouldn't change the fact that Kane has been fantastic at times for us.

I'll say again, I have no qualms selling him. It just needs to be done in a timely fashion with a realistic and cohesive plan for replacing him.

@DubSpur - can't find your original post, so tagging you instead.

I don't think folks are making out like Levy's the bad guy for making this happen - if anything, Kane's actions have solidified fans' support for the club, and the ire has instead been towards him for effectively spitting on the fans who loved him a week ago and the club that pays him. Even gobsh*tes like Carragher have come out criticizing Kane, and the slew of articles about his skipping training are divided in how they see it.

Kane did the impossible - actually made Levy seem like the good guy. I have to commend him for that level of obliviousness. Even for me - making me side with Levy over him was a bloody hard thing, but he managed it.

However, this situation is in part something directly attributable to Levy and his odious tax-dodging boss, and their miserly, grinding ownership of this club over 20 years.

I'm still searching for an effective answer to my question - if we had gone fan-owned in late 2001, and spent 20 years employing a series of successful commercial chairmen instead of the lying cheapskate we have now...would we be any worse off? What has ENIC and Levy's value-add been, effectively? Absolutely nothing - nada, zilch. And we have gone from the 4th most decorated club in England to an also-ran with one League Cup in 20 years to show for it - which is why guys like Kane want to leave.

Kane trying to worm his way out like this makes him a massive disappointment, no arguing that. However, situations like his will keep happening as long as we have ENIC in charge, because this is what miserliness, mediocrity and uselessness brings.

I think that's a fair point of view.

Personally I'd rinse City for as much as we can, as they have no limits on money.
And of course, I'd have to recognise that could well lead us into some of the problems you describe ie if it's a late sale.

Tbh Not selling would be the best outcome. There would be some gamble Kane sucks it up and refocuses. He is genuinely our best player though.

The other point not to miss here is, if you're looking to move to a position of strength, and even if we bought a VVD and Alison. Letting Kane go to City could quite easily rule you out of the 3 domestic competitions. They are near on brilliant already, to give them the best striker in the league (easily 40-50 goals a season) is locking you into 2nd place at best.

That is something of a gamble though I think.

What would be wonderful would be our owners assuming that by hook or by crook we'll get at least (say) £100m for Kane whether that is right at the end of this window or next Summer and putting in a director's loan now to fund £100m of transfers that allow us to bring in a couple of players up front to replace Kane so that the manager has a fighting chance of starting the season well. Or if Kane happens to stay then an even better chance of having a smooth transition when he leaves next summer or in January (when theoretically we might be able to sell him for a huge amount to a club desperate to make/maintain a title challenge).

That is something of a gamble though I think.

What would be wonderful would be our owners assuming that by hook or by crook we'll get at least (say) £100m for Kane whether that is right at the end of this window or next Summer and putting in a director's loan now to fund £100m of transfers that allow us to bring in a couple of players up front to replace Kane so that the manager has a fighting chance of starting the season well.

SmoggyHilariousBaiji-size_restricted.gif

Is this something I will need to get used to?!

It's a forum, mate - it exists to enable argument. ;) Even with that, the vast majority of folks here are good 'uns - @parklane1 et al included, although I disagree with them on the subject of our ownership.

I'd suggest you stick around and make your own mind up - for what it's worth, this is probably the least argumentative Spurs forum out there. :p

This is what happened with Bale, lots of Spurs fans turning on one another.

lashing out,

Next stage is possibly acceptance, then outright grief/anger…

it makes the cum by ya / mass org-y moment that much sweeter, when it finally arrives.

Back