• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

There is no one answer, it's super easy to say "we just had bricky tactics and made poor selection choices"

The problem is those tactics worked really well against United & City, we had three players (Bale, Ndombele, Lo Celso) coming into the season with injury/fitness concerns, we had bought 7 players who needed to bed in plus all the Covid challenges.

Could Bale have played 3 months earlier? = I don't think so, could he have played a month earlier? = maybe

Would any of us have picked Lucas for a #10 role? = I wouldn't have.

Did we (and do we still have a bit of it) have a tendency to go into a cruise mode after scoring (I think we score the most goals in the PL in first 25 minutes or something like that)? = yes, and that is something we need Jose to work on with the team.

It's likely Son will have the best year of his career, Bale & Kane will have their best year in about 3, not a bad place to be.

Good post and sums it up best for me.

I suppose it's an English thing, pundits and fans fall over one another to kiss up to De Bruyne, Salad, Aubangayam et al, even a great player like Rooney didnt get as much love as Fat Frank and Stevie G.

but I’ve heard opposition fans say many times it’s why Kane doesn’t get dug out for diving or other infringements that other “foreign or black” players may get tarnished with
What is true 100% is his numbers are up there with the very best at pretty much everything he does and that’s something that his haters can’t really argue with

agree with that pretty much word for word.

continued defensive football lead to his undoing at both Chelsea and United, i think it's his natural reaction to go this way when things 'go wrong' in our case the 3-3 West Ham game and with the two previous examples he couldn't get the team out of that mindset once it was put in place. I saw the same thing happening here - we've managed to get past that now so lets see how we go between now and the end of the season
Agreed. I think it's a fairly good natural reaction when things go wrong and your defenders are a clear weakness in your team.

I agree that it probably took time to get the players out of that mindset. Even in press conferences he was talking about how that wasn't what he wanted way before it actually changed.

I also think part of the reason why it took time was also player availability and form. Having Ndombele ready to play that deeper role for example makes playing on the front foot both easier and more attractive. We can speculate on if Ndombele could have been ready for that role a month before or happened, but that's difficult to know.

the specific issues we had to deal with are a bit of a distraction here imo lads, part and parcel of squad management afaic - we can't expect to go through 12+ games of bottom 6 form every time we have a few injuries. what i've taken exception to over the last few pages is the apparent disagreement that there were problems with our attacking play from a tactical point of view and also that Bedford is arguing that a 5,4,2 spread of goalscorers over 6 games is no different to when it was 12,11,3 over 21.

I don't think it's a distraction. For me it should be seen as a factor, but not the only factor of course.

Squad management yes, but those other factors does make that a lot more difficult and the probability of an extended run of poor form will surely increase the more of those factors are present.

If the pattern becomes that a few injuries leads to longer periods of poor form then that's obviously not going to be good enough long or even medium term. I don't think that pattern has been established, and I don't think it was established when we were in poor form.

There is no one answer, it's super easy to say "we just had bricky tactics and made poor selection choices"

The problem is those tactics worked really well against United & City, we had three players (Bale, Ndombele, Lo Celso) coming into the season with injury/fitness concerns, we had bought 7 players who needed to bed in plus all the Covid challenges.

Could Bale have played 3 months earlier? = I don't think so, could he have played a month earlier? = maybe

Would any of us have picked Lucas for a #10 role? = I wouldn't have.

Did we (and do we still have a bit of it) have a tendency to go into a cruise mode after scoring (I think we score the most goals in the PL in first 25 minutes or something like that)? = yes, and that is something we need Jose to work on with the team.

It's likely Son will have the best year of his career, Bale & Kane will have their best year in about 3, not a bad place to be.
Agree with pretty much all of that.

There is cruise mode and there is cruise mode. Mourinho unlike some of the other top managers seems okay with conceding possession for periods of games. Obviously greater periods against the better teams.

But no manager, certainly not Mourinho is happy with cruise control if it entails a real drop in intensity and focus.

I loved the periods of the second half against Palace where we slowed things down, passed the ball around. Though I don't think that's the cruise control you talk of.

I'm perfectly happy with us sitting somewhat deeper at times, defending from the halfway line for example. We don't have the players or manager for a super high press at almost any cost style of football. And we don't have the players for a super high possession at almost any cost style of football. "Resting" a bit by sitting a bit deeper, looking for chances to break. That's a good approach at times. But no, not cruise control, the intensity (when needed) and concentration levels must be there.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

There is cruise mode and there is cruise mode. Mourinho unlike some of the other top managers seems okay with conceding possession for periods of games. Obviously greater periods against the better teams.

But no manager, certainly not Mourinho is happy with cruise control if it entails a real drop in intensity and focus.

I loved the periods of the second half against Palace where we slowed things down, passed the ball around. Though I don't think that's the cruise control you talk of.

I'm perfectly happy with us sitting somewhat deeper at times, defending from the halfway line for example. We don't have the players or manager for a super high press at almost any cost style of football. And we don't have the players for a super high possession at almost any cost style of football. "Resting" a bit by sitting a bit deeper, looking for chances to break. That's a good approach at times. But no, not cruise control, the intensity (when needed) and concentration levels must be there.

There was one quote from Jose that highlights that -> "I never tell my teams to surrender the initiative", he doesn't give a brick about possession, but he does care about who is dictating/managing the game.

Back to Kane, it will be interesting if it takes to the end of his career for people to truly appreciate the machine he is.

Ugly secret about professional sports, a lot of players play through injuries/pain that isn't good in long run.

He certainly is hesitant about putting his foot/ankle in tackles since he came back (understandably), hopefully we can manage it with him
I would prefer him to stop doing that forever. He is often too brave in tackles I think and just standing up and blocking the pass would be good enough.

For the guy who doesn't get in top 10/20 lists

byhx59egf2m61.jpg
Only 1 of the teams is mentioned twice.
Only 2 EPL teams mentioned.
So Spurs must be top of the league, right?

2 more goals closer to Mr Greaves

If...he were to keep up his current strike, with the possibilty of maybe 16/17 more games this season, he would have a sniff of equalling the record at the end of next season. Especially if he was to match his tally of 41 from 2017/18.

Big ask, but, I dont put anything past this machine

Back