• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Exactly. These kinds of drill are not designed to replicate the conditions of an actual match, they are designed to develop physical technique and muscle memory. It's like saying that swimming laps is pointless for a footballer because they don't actually have to swim during a match; it ignores the other benefits of the exercise (or drill).

It's just something for the camera. Turned into a competition at the end where the player that missed went "out". Just something to keep players entertained.

You are not gonna get much muscle memory by waiting in a line and having a shot every 3 minutes.
Properly it would be each player on their own with a ball and a target. Better still would be one of those machines to launch balls at them.

Sorry I have to disagree. For that age group their development should be well by that stage. And there's no muscle memory there (which a disputed theory anyway) as nothing is being precisely repeated.

Sorry I have to disagree. For that age group their development should be well by that stage. And there's no muscle memory there (which a disputed theory anyway) as nothing is being precisely repeated.
Muscle memory disputed? First I have heard of it.

The notion of "muscle memory" (a form of a more general class known as "procedural memory") is pretty much orthodoxy within modern psychology. Do you have any references to suggest that it is "a disputed theory". Genuine question.

I can't quote anyone in particular and I'm trying to drag things from my own not very good memory from several years ago.
iirc correctly it was something along the lines making the muscles stronger by repeating specific targeted exercises may make the muscle stronger but will not make you any better at at the actual task. If you are poorly coordinated and weak, muscle memory will only make you poorly coordinated and strong.

As I say it was quite a while and both sides seemed to make sense to me who is totally ignorant of these things. It wasn't in my benefit to research further for a definitive answer so I didn't.

I think you guys are reading too much in to a video clip - it's just something cobbled together to post on their website, proper training sessions would be a lot different, similar to how sessions differ when clubs have open days where people come and watch

Tom carroll making a fool of himself towards the end of the vid

I won't have any one dispute muscle memory! First spell of me ever going to the gym I went for 6 months then broke my arm and had a metal plate put in. Couldn't exercise for 9 months and ended up just as skinny as I was before I started. When I went back it took me around 3 months to get to the size I was before then I stopped going because I was drinking at uni. Ended up skinny again. Then went back to the gym, a month later no one could believe how quickly I'd regained my size (well I guess they could as everyone was convinced I'd been taking steroids!)

That's not the dispute though. It's not about building muscle, it's that building muscle makes you better. If that is the case then why aren't we out buying body builders? The dispute is wether it improves an unrelated technique.
Kicking a ball a thousand times a day in a certain way would I reckon increase the muscle you are using. Would it make you a better footballer? That's the question.
I think the point was that at the time the name was misleading. The muscle isn't memorising the movement and making it better it's or easier to repeat, it was doing something else more to do with the anatomy or whatever. Sorry if that bit isn't the correct terminology but I'm very medically challenged☺️

Of course muscle memory is a real phenomenon - if you don't write with a pen much for a few years, it feels odd to write and you are much slower/less skilled than when you used to write regularly.

Ditto all sorts of tasks, when you start a manual job you are getting used to it for a while, then it becomes second nature and laying bricks / plastering / operating a machine or whatever is just an inbuilt reflex like eating with a knife and fork. That is undisputable. And that isn't even a word. Like golf, the more you groove your action, the more it just happens naturally.

But yes that drill is surely just for the cameras; waiting 3 minutes for your turn to take a touch, pause, and hit a shot is not a very useful drill. Much better to get a short pass in a crowded box and have to squeeze off a shot into the corner.

Still chuffed with Kane. His ethics. His skill. His growing stature.

I just hope we can bolster our midfield with some real quality to give Kane an even better platform next season. He is the real deal. Lets build a team around him and the other key players.

Of course muscle memory is a real phenomenon - if you don't write with a pen much for a few years, it feels odd to write and you are much slower/less skilled than when you used to write regularly.

Ditto all sorts of tasks, when you start a manual job you are getting used to it for a while, then it becomes second nature and laying bricks / plastering / operating a machine or whatever is just an inbuilt reflex like eating with a knife and fork. That is undisputable. And that isn't even a word. Like golf, the more you groove your action, the more it just happens naturally.

But yes that drill is surely just for the cameras; waiting 3 minutes for your turn to take a touch, pause, and hit a shot is not a very useful drill. Much better to get a short pass in a crowded box and have to squeeze off a shot into the corner.
Is that "muscle memory" though, or is it just moving tasks from your conscious to your subconscious mind?

When I first learned to drive I had to look at the gearstick and move all of my attention there to change gear. After a while I just had to think about what gear I wanted and could carry on paying attention to the road. By the time I'd been driving a year I never thought about gears again - in the same way that I don't have to think about moving my legs to walk.

None of that has anything to do with muscle and everything to do with making a task repetitive to one's brain until it becomes an instinctive task.

There's a theory of brain modelling that suggests the more we repeat a task (and those that are only slightly different) the faster those routes between synapses in the brain become.

When some people talk about muscle memory this is what they actually mean - instinctive movement. That has nothing to do with muscle changing/moving/forming/strengthening/etc.

It's not the muscle that remembering though is it, surely it's the brain? If you don't use a muscle in a certain way for a while and start again it's going to feel strange, weak or uncoordinated.
I'm trying to think of the context of the discussion I heard/read at the time. It was most likely Tiger and his twitch muscles or when Faldo built muscle for extra length but his game actually suffered because it affected his technique.
A fascinating subject and not one I'm at all knowledgeable in but there seems to at least two different meanings to muscle memory being discussed here.

Im no marine biologist but in theory if your body gets used to a certain set of movements through repitition, like the touch/turn/shoot in the video, then it seems plausible that it'd make the process smoother - subconciously your mind and body knows what to do, in synch with one another

Back