• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

The US market is way behind as it literally has no substance to rivalries currently
It needs time and some anger and rage to make it interesting

Way behind at the moment, but with the money being pumped into the US game in advance of their WC in 2026, I doubt that will last very long. The MLS is growing pretty fast - their latest TV deal is worth $2.5 billion, with Apple TV iirc, and comes out to about $250m a year. That's small potatoes compared to the NFL at roughly $1B, MLB at $1.7B and NBA at $2.6B per annum, but it already dwarfs many continental European leagues. The MLS and is also increasingly looking past its old reliance on big names to drive interest in favor of developing local talent and leveraging the Mexican market both domestically and via poaching Liga MX players.

Money, population, and proximity to Mexico and the football-crazy South Americans. They have a lot going for them, and I'd wager that by 2030 they'll be a lot closer to the Prem than people expect. I fully expect they will try to get into the Copa Libertadores eventually, and they and Brazil will be the drivers for the growth of that tournament globally in the future.

Way behind at the moment, but with the money being pumped into the US game in advance of their WC in 2026, I doubt that will last very long. The MLS is growing pretty fast - their latest TV deal is worth $2.5 billion, with Apple TV iirc, and comes out to about $250m a year. That's small potatoes compared to the NFL at roughly $1B, MLB at $1.7B and NBA at $2.6B per annum, but it already dwarfs many continental European leagues. The MLS and is also increasingly looking past its old reliance on big names to drive interest in favor of developing local talent and leveraging the Mexican market both domestically and via poaching Liga MX players.

Money, population, and proximity to Mexico and the football-crazy South Americans. They have a lot going for them, and I'd wager that by 2030 they'll be a lot closer to the Prem than people expect. I fully expect they will try to get into the Copa Libertadores eventually, and they and Brazil will be the drivers for the growth of that tournament globally in the future.

How many professional footballers do they produce each year?

How many professional footballers do they produce each year?

Dunno, but as of 2014 they had about 3,000,000 kids enrolled in US Soccer-led development/coaching programs, which was apparently a 100% increase from 1990. Suspect that compares favorably with a lot of continental Europe, but again, dunno the details on thatv- I'm more aware of the growth of their business models.

Dunno, but as of 2014 they had about 3,000,000 kids enrolled in US Soccer-led development/coaching programs, which was apparently a 100% increase from 1990. Suspect that compares favorably with a lot of continental Europe, but again, dunno the details on thatv- I'm more aware of the growth of their business models.

Yes and they have colleges producing players. But with only 28 professional teams that's what maybe 60 a year at most can make a living out of it? They also have to have graduated college before making the draft (22-24). The rest will find other careers.
Also not sure what soccer-led development/coaching means? Does that include schools? Most kids in england will play in school.

But again it's the pathway. England has 763 clubs that participate in the fa cup. That are pro or semi pro.

Basically what i'm saying is that kids in england will get a better football education than in the us. They will join professional clubs at an earlier stage and interact with senior professionals. Even if they are late bloomers they have the chance to move to better clubs. So basically our homegrown players are much more likely to be of better quality. Meaning the product will be better quality.

Also the prem has a lot more going on. You have the race for the title, the race for top 4, europa qualification, but also relegation. Nearly every team is playing for something.

Last edited:
This also suggests that although they choked at the end of the season, we shouldn't be too dismissive of the goons.
And they have added well. Improvements in Jesus, zinsch and saliba. Could argue by how much but they're still a better team than before. Odegard seems to have stepped up a notch too.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk

No one called him a one goal wonder.
i think he had a poor start like one goal in ten games for Spurs and there were people criticizing his built, lack of speed and even the way he sounded in interviews. of course he went on to win young player of the year and scored loads more in the remaining season.

And they have added well. Improvements in Jesus, zinsch and saliba. Could argue by how much but they're still a better team than before. Odegard seems to have stepped up a notch too.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk
Still think their squad is really weak
Their bench has looked so poor
The players they have brought are decent though

Still think their squad is really weak
Their bench has looked so poor
The players they have brought are decent though
Agree with their lack of depth so if they don't suffer too much fatigue / injuries they can do really well. But with added Europa games and the World Cup, I think its risky.

Their first eleven and our first eleven will be a great contest next time.

Also Jesus going the full season as a starter and consistency in front of goal is yet to be proven.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Agree with their lack of depth so if they don't suffer too much fatigue / injuries they can do really well. But with added Europa games and the World Cup, I think its risky.

Also Jesus going the full season as a starter and consistency in front of goal is yet to be proven.

I’ve made him captain in my fantasy team and it’s stopped him scoring
Jesus has never had a season like he will have this year… playing every game and being expected to deliver every game. He has done well so far though

They will beat us at their place in October 100%. They always beat us when we go there as they put in a superhuman effort when they play us and we freeze. And we will beat them at our place as their record at the lane is poor recently.

Yes and they have colleges producing players. But with only 28 professional teams that's what maybe 60 a year at most can make a living out of it? They also have to have graduated college before making the draft (22-24). The rest will find other careers.
Also not sure what soccer-led development/coaching means? Does that include schools? Most kids in england will play in school.

But again it's the pathway. England has 763 clubs that participate in the fa cup. That are pro or semi pro.

In terms of total number of clubs, that's only true if you're only counting MLS sides, though. Which would be like if you're only counting PL sides and saying that only 500 English footballers can make it (25x20).

Below the 28 MLS teams are roughly 30 USL teams (their Championship equivalent), 8 NSL teams (their L1 equivalent) and about 152 teams split between the NPSL and the PDL, which are sort of an amalgam of L2 and conference/non league.

All are professional except for the roughly 72 teams of the PDL, which are quasi-professional (our version would be semi-pro). So, in total I'd say there are about 218 teams in the US to play for at a professional or semi-pro level - not comparable to English football infrastructure, but not nothing either, and certainly more robust than a whole lot of continental European setups.

As for the way they count to reach that 3,000,000 figure, again, I'm not sure. It could be they count school football as part of it, but the source I'm thinking of specifically stated kids in 'US Soccer coaching programs', which is a more organized and professional thing.

Basically what i'm saying is that kids in england will get a better football education than in the us. They will join professional clubs at an earlier stage and interact with senior professionals. Even if they are late bloomers they have the chance to move to better clubs. So basically our homegrown players are much more likely to be of better quality. Meaning the product will be better quality.

For now, absolutely, although I've always been uncomfortable with the fact that English footballers (and European footballers/South American footballers) pay for this by being less educated and well-rounded than their American counterparts. The US tendency to have their athletes go through university/college, even if only in uni/college sport programs, is, to my eyes, a lot more ethical since it opens other career pathways for those kids who can't make it in sport. We struggle with that, and it's part of the reason being released is such a harrowing experience for so many kids hoping to make it.

However, in terms of quality, again, we are superior now, but money has a way of evening the scales, and who knows what the standard will look like in an ever-richer American football ecosystem ten years from now? I'd point to the very recent emergence of top-flight American coaches in Europe (Marsch, Berhalter) and players at relatively established clubs (Aaronson, Adams, McKennie, Pulisic, Reyna, etc.) as evidence that they are getting better, and will continue to do so.

Also the prem has a lot more going on. You have the race for the title, the race for top 4, europa qualification, but also relegation. Nearly every team is playing for something.

Yeah, but you're comparing the MLS and the Prem now, not, say, 10 years from now.

I have it on good authority from talking to folks around my formerly-local club, Toronto FC, down the years that the MLS has always harbored an interest in joining the Copa Libertadores, with the major hurdle being the CONMEBOL-CONCACAF divide. If they can find an acceptable compromise, I would not at all be surprised to see MLS clubs drop the CONCACAF Champions League and join the Copa Libertadores by 2030, with qualification structured similarly to how we set up CL/Europa League qualification here in the sense of maybe playoff qualification guaranteeing a place in the tournament's qualification rounds.

It makes sense for both South American confederations and clubs (who will see a major influx of new money from the US and thus may be able to keep their players away from European clubs for longer) and for the US (prestige of playing in the Libertadores and better access to the South American football market and talent pools in Brazil, Argentina et al).

If and when that happens, they will have a competition comparable to the best in Europe, imo.

They will beat us at their place in October 100%. They always beat us when we go there as they put in a superhuman effort when they play us and we freeze. And we will beat them at our place as their record at the lane is poor recently.

Agreed. It's gone a little unnoticed, but the NLD has essentially become 'home team wins' in recent years.

I'll happily take it to waiting a decade to beat them home or away, but I would like to see us pick up all three points at their place once or twice more. As it stands, that 3-2 back in 2011 remains the only time we've beaten them at the Emirates in the league, I think.

Agreed. It's gone a little unnoticed, but the NLD has essentially become 'home team wins' in recent years.

I'll happily take it to waiting a decade to beat them home or away, but I would like to see us pick up all three points at their place once or twice more. As it stands, that 3-2 back in 2011 remains the only time we've beaten them at the Emirates in the league, I think.
Been like that much longer than recent…
Normally there the team taking the lead loses too

260 feels a long way off still

will be a shame if he doesn't get it, he is the better player

I doubt Shearer got to double figures in assists, Kane must have over a hundred

They just showed the stats. Sherear actually has more assists. [emoji44]

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

wow, how many did he get?

very surprised at that, every touch either seemed to be a header or belting it in from 25 yards, great goal scorer certainly

Back