• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

If we are talking now, only two clubs are better than us at the moment.

I would say we are headed towards a big 7 with Saudi Sportswashing Machine increasingly prominent. Then there is still scope for additional sleeping giants to put a decent team together and challenge the hegemony- certainly in cups but also the premier league.

It is only going to get harder to win trophies if you are short of exceptional - we have not been that since the 60’s.

I would say we are headed towards a big 7 with Saudi Sportswashing Outpost increasingly prominent. Then there is still scope for additional sleeping giants to put a decent team together and challenge the hegemony- certainly in cups but also the premier league.

It is only going to get harder to win trophies if you are short of exceptional - we have not been that since the 60’s.
_126433121_getimage-1.png

I remember the good old days when we won the ‘Most points in a calendar year’ trophy. I bet the players look back at that one with fond memories….

We were also Champions if you combine the 2015/16 and 2016/17 seasons. It's the big ones that count and surely winning a 2 year championship tinkles all over Leicester and Chelsea and their pathetic "flash in the pan" 1 season wins.

I remember the good old days when we won the ‘Most points in a calendar year’ trophy. I bet the players look back at that one with fond memories….
But who was the gooner tabloid hack that sneered it wasn't a thing, having himself started it when Arse were in their pomp?

I would say we are headed towards a big 7 with Saudi Sportswashing Outfit increasingly prominent. Then there is still scope for additional sleeping giants to put a decent team together and challenge the hegemony- certainly in cups but also the premier league.

Yep. Forget the Big 7 (or even Big 8 if one of the other lot aside from Bonesaw FC makes it in) - they are 35-40% of the league by themselves, but the other 12 are also improving rapidly and are giving the Big 6 massively tough games.

The PL has grown into a monster - the super league in all but name, as evidenced by PL clubs splurging close to 2 billion quid in this window alone while nearly everyone on the continent is utterly penniless and looking for loans and hand-me-downs.

In some ways it's actually a return to the more even era of the 60s and 70s where there was a lot more variation in league positions (although time will tell if the champions also vary yearly as much as they did back then). But given the rising quality across the league, who wins it, who does well, etc. will increasingly come down to the smallest of margins - which teams are comfortable in their systems and can thus outplay more individually-focused sides, who has midweek games to worry about, etc. The likes of middling Wet Spam can throw on Paqueta, Scamacca, etc from their bench, which costs 200m quid in total - quality alone cannot save you, teamwork and fitness matter much, much more.

Tough as hell now. We've given ourselves a fair shot with Conte, but even with him it's a toss up - our moment with the biggest potential for us to consistently win things, I think, was the period from 2016-2019.

There are only two things that could shake all this up - a global downturn, which is possible, or the rise of US football as a competitor to the PL for English-language markets, which honestly is more likely than folks seem to think.

Yep. Forget the Big 7 (or even Big 8 if one of the other lot aside from Bonesaw FC makes it in) - they are 35-40% of the league by themselves, but the other 12 are also improving rapidly and are giving the Big 6 massively tough games.

The PL has grown into a monster - the super league in all but name, as evidenced by PL clubs splurging close to 2 billion quid in this window alone while nearly everyone on the continent is utterly penniless and looking for loans and hand-me-downs.

In some ways it's actually a return to the more even era of the 60s and 70s where there was a lot more variation in league positions (although time will tell if the champions also vary yearly as much as they did back then). But given the rising quality across the league, who wins it, who does well, etc. will increasingly come down to the smallest of margins - which teams are comfortable in their systems and can thus outplay more individually-focused sides, who has midweek games to worry about, etc. The likes of middling Wet Spam can throw on Paqueta, Scamacca, etc from their bench, which costs 200m quid in total - quality alone cannot save you, teamwork and fitness matter much, much more.

Tough as hell now. We've given ourselves a fair shot with Conte, but even with him it's a toss up - our moment with the biggest potential for us to consistently win things, I think, was the period from 2016-2019.

There are only two things that could shake all this up - a global downturn, which is possible, or the rise of US football as a competitor to the PL for English-language markets, which honestly is more likely than folks seem to think.
The US market is way behind as it literally has no substance to rivalries currently
It needs time and some anger and rage to make it interesting

The US market is way behind as it literally has no substance to rivalries currently
It needs time and some anger and rage to make it interesting

Yep, i played in America late 70/s early 80/s and it was supposed to take over the world, never did and never will imo.

Yep, i played in America late 70/s early 80/s and it was supposed to take over the world, never did and never will imo.

Not the way it's set up at the moment. But it is becoming much more popular, especially with the rise in the latin population.

I spent the last month in America and didn't see any "soccer" on TV at various sports bars and hotels

It was baseball baseball baseball baseball baseball baseball baseball baseball little-league-baseball baseball baseball with a bit of NFL and basketball

Not the way it's set up at the moment. But it is becoming much more popular, especially with the rise in the latin population.

Not going to happen, its had more money thrown at it to make it a winner but its way down on the list behind Baseball, NFL, netball etc.

Not going to happen, its had more money thrown at it to make it a winner but its way down on the list behind Baseball, NFL, netball etc.

As i said not the way it's set up. Too few players can make a living from it. So many will give up. If it was like europe with every town having it's own team and producing youngsters i could see it.

The league that might challenge in the future is brazil.

As i said not the way it's set up. Too few players can make a living from it. So many will give up. If it was like europe with every town having it's own team and producing youngsters i could see it.

The league that might challenge in the future is brazil.

I’d watch that. I have a vague recollection one of the terrestrial channels (must have been C4) did broadcast games/highlights probably in the 80’s.

Back