• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grealish

Lol no I didn’t tbf, but didn’t think it was something you was seriously wound up about. But as you mentioned the hair I thought you was being serious, as he could definitely improve that area of his game...

I was quoting a earlier post of yours see below

Na, he’s ‘brick’ a couple of posters who have seen sod all of him said so. I mean look at that video, doesn’t really create much does he.....

And just adding to it with my thoughts about those who are up in arms about his signing. :)

Question for those that like Grealish as a player; what is it that has delayed his development so much (by modern standards, anyway)?

He'll be 23 at the start of the season. Compare that to our younger players - Kane, Alli, Dier - they were all well ahead of his development by that stage. Winks and Sanchez are significantly further on and are younger.

Is Grealish just a really late developer? Does he have persistent injury problems? Or is there some kind of problem in the transfer market that means players good enough for the 2nd/3rd best team in the toughest league in the world are somehow wasting their careers in the Championship?

Im not a huge advocate for him, but Im not against it.

He is clearly talented, and Im interested to see what Poch could do with him.

I think too many people make a big thing out of the idea "If he hasnt made it by 22..."

Look at players like Dembele, absolutely went up through the gears and flourished once they hit 26/27.

People grow at different speeds. Some take time to find the right place/position/mentality before they can realise their potential.

Of course, some never do!

Question for those that like Grealish as a player; what is it that has delayed his development so much (by modern standards, anyway)?

He'll be 23 at the start of the season. Compare that to our younger players - Kane, Alli, Dier - they were all well ahead of his development by that stage. Winks and Sanchez are significantly further on and are younger.

Is Grealish just a really late developer? Does he have persistent injury problems? Or is there some kind of problem in the transfer market that means players good enough for the 2nd/3rd best team in the toughest league in the world are somehow wasting their careers in the Championship?

Combination of:

Maturity - Mentally and Playing-wise
Further development (From being more mature)
Availability
Desire to leave - Probably wanted to see if Villa would come back up

Lets assume he was in our youth setup - He'd likely have been pushing first team before now. Also - Its probably unfair to compare him to Kane and Alli - 2 of the best young English players and quickest developers of recent times.

The club he is at is a basket case, he supports them and probably showed them too much loyalty in not forcing a move sooner. A few years back he was the new kid on the block, tug of war between England v Ireland and linked with everyone. It is very hard to shine in a club like Villa when playing with players / managers they had, even more so for a kid. He always showed flashes of class but the consistency coincides with the first time Villa have had a little bit of stability.

Last year post injury he played deeper and was his best period in terms of performance and effectiveness. He would have been in the top 3 for players others want with Sessegnon & Madison.

*I didn't watch him much last year, getting the opinion from other fans / papers /podcasts.

Combination of:

Maturity - Mentally and Playing-wise
Further development (From being more mature)
Availability
Desire to leave - Probably wanted to see if Villa would come back up
So late development then?

Lets assume he was in our youth setup - He'd likely have been pushing first team before now.
I'm not sure he would. From what I've seen he's a long way behind our front 4 and I'd choose a fit Dembele or Winks over him too.

Also - Its probably unfair to compare him to Kane and Alli - 2 of the best young English players and quickest developers of recent times.
Yet that's the standard we, as a club, are at and therefore the standard to which we should hold our purchases.

The club he is at is a basket case, he supports them and probably showed them too much loyalty in not forcing a move sooner. A few years back he was the new kid on the block, tug of war between England v Ireland and linked with everyone. It is very hard to shine in a club like Villa when playing with players / managers they had, even more so for a kid. He always showed flashes of class but the consistency coincides with the first time Villa have had a little bit of stability.

Last year post injury he played deeper and was his best period in terms of performance and effectiveness. He would have been in the top 3 for players others want with Sessegnon & Madison.

*I didn't watch him much last year, getting the opinion from other fans / papers /podcasts.
I didn't see him much last year. I did see a fair bit of him when he was an attacking midfielder with some dribbling skills and no end product.

I think it's rare now to see a player pass by the scouting network as it is. There's so much information readily available that no matter what the circumstances, I see a talented player getting to that age and not having been picked up as a concern. Especially when that player is behind the curve of our own.

Those 2 are worth £200m and £100m. I think we can both agree that's not our target area!
It's precisely where our target area is.

We are aiming for players who, by the time they are ready for the first team, will be £100m-200m players. That's how a team in the top three of the Premier League improves.

Not sure our standards are on quick developers more around their ceiling, no? Yes we are looking for the best young players but If we think he can improve to their levels in the next year or so who cares if he is 19or 22.
The level a player is at measured against their age is one of the strongest indicators of their ceiling. There are obviously outliers, and that was what I was asking.

If we are to believe Grealish is an outlier, and that his ceiling is high enough for a club with our ambitions, what are the reasons for him being an outlier?

Back