• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Graham Roberts

I'm absolutely stunned at how much Roberts, a former professional, sounds like any one of your run of the mill, clueless, typical Talksport callers. Every time I read anything he has to say I get the same feeling.

Graham Roberts daring to be critical of GG's darling! How dare an ex-player who loves the club be critical of our greatest ever manager? And how dare his opinion differ from the majority of posters on GG. We all know that GG posters are the font of all knowledge when it comes to Spurs and football. Graham Roberts? WTF did he achieve exactly? Bet he hasn't won fudge all playing Football Manager.

He is one of our greatest players and as so should maybe keep quiet instead of slagging the new manager off before he has had a chance. New manager new system new players. It takes time to bed in and as an ex pro he must know this better than most. Still I suppose it's easy money when rags like the star come calling l

He is one of our greatest players and as so should maybe keep quiet instead of slagging the new manager off before he has had a chance. New manager new system new players. It takes time to bed in and as an ex pro he must know this better than most. Still I suppose it's easy money when rags like the star come calling l

Or maybe he is entitled to his opinion, knows people within the game and is genuinely concerned?

After the way David Pleat treated Roberts, let's face it he owes us nothing after giving his all playing for us. AND he has links into Chelsea, so will know information from then. I am not saying I agree with him, but it fudging infuriates me how people will jump all over a media story from some know nothing Journo and praise it to the heavens IF it's a positive story and claim it to be gospel and yet the moment there is a negative story about their "hero" they flatly refuse to believe there is any truth in it.

Graham Roberts daring to be critical of GG's darling! How dare an ex-player who loves the club be critical of our greatest ever manager? And how dare his opinion differ from the majority of posters on GG. We all know that GG posters are the font of all knowledge when it comes to Spurs and football. Graham Roberts? WTF did he achieve exactly? Bet he hasn't won fudge all playing Football Manager.

it's his rent-a-quote nature and constant critique of anything relating to Levy, who he has fallen out with, that people have a problem with. someone in his position would be wise to keep their thoughts to themselves this early in to a new managers reign anyway - what positives can come of opening your mouth to the media, just comes across as though he is stoking the (media) fire needlessly to me

but troll away if it makes you happy

I hate that saying, hasnt been able to pick his side due to injury's or suspensions. In a full weekend fixture list I bet only one or two teams (and I reckon they would be the likes of Wigan, Reading) could put out their strongest 11. No manager gets to pick their strongest 11 for a whole season, its such a cop out of an excuse!!

That article is also flimflam, if AVB does come across a little flat but I imagine the Freund was brought in as a FAN to get the boys going!!!

I also think Freund will be our next manager!!

Well the point I was making was that both Clint Dempsey and Hugo Lloris were unavailable for selection for our last Premier League match due to the transfer deadline regulations - nothing to do with injuries or suspensions, which every manager has to deal with.

Well the point I was making was that both Clint Dempsey and Hugo Lloris were unavailable for selection for our last Premier League match due to the transfer deadline regulations - nothing to do with injuries or suspensions, which every manager has to deal with.

IMO Lloris woouldn't have made a difference, and indeed whilst he beds into the Premiership we may see a decline in our standard goalkeeping performances for a bit. And a full strength Spurs side has no place for Dempsey in it IMO. Good player to have as a back up for us though.

Seems like a bitter man.
has he been overlooked by the club to cause him to behave in such a negative manner?

Problem is, Roberts played in a great era for the club and thus feels he can judge on those standards without any come back.

I always have this theory with what I read in the paper or what I read on forums. Its all opinion and until the day AVB fails or suceeds no one will ever truely know how it is going to pan out.

If people were half as clever as their comments suggest they would be making a fortune at the weekend on football bets....

IMO Lloris woouldn't have made a difference, and indeed whilst he beds into the Premiership we may see a decline in our standard goalkeeping performances for a bit. And a full strength Spurs side has no place for Dempsey in it IMO. Good player to have as a back up for us though.

A full strength THFC containing VDV and modrich maybe. As we currently stand he's good enough.

There is a long-standing animosity between Roberts and the club so he clearly delights in slagging it off. Plus the bloke probably needs to earn a few quid. Absolute legend as a player though.

A full strength THFC containing VDV and modrich maybe. As we currently stand he's good enough.

I still don't think so personally. IMO our strongest XI is a 4-4-2 at the moment with the midfield of Lennon, Dembele, Parker, Bale and Ade with Defoe up top. Even if we play 4-5-1 you swap out Defoe for Sigurdsson.

Our form from January onwards seems to have been wiped from history, any other manager went on a run like we had and he'd have been slaughtered

Not sure that is true. It depends on the context. Jol had a similar run in 06/07 (5 points from 8 games) when we slipped down to 12th midway through the season. There was nowhere near as much hysteria about that. Perhaps because he hadn't raised expectations quite as much as Redknapp had. We slipped from about 6th to 12th then, which is a bit of a difference from having a massive lead in 3rd and then letting it slip for 4th. It is easy to see how the latter hurts more. What I can't agree with is the view that we should have been shoo-ins for 3rd or more and that 4th place was therefore despite Redknapp. A hard one to argue last season, even harder now given the start we've made. Well, not without excuses anyway. Excuses which I doubt would have been forthcoming for Redknapp.

Didn't mean he is actually one of his mates, just another pundit writing off Villas Boas because Harry is more popular. Our form from January onwards seems to have been wiped from history, any other manager went on a run like we had and he'd have been slaughtered. I don't think Villas Boas is getting a fair crack at this job, and it's people that supposedly love the club that are doing him down, ultimately hurting the football club.

Were you posting on this forum then? Or reading the papers? We WERE slaughtered during that run. The difference for me is simple. Built up credit. Same applies to a player. The managers and players who deserve patience from the fans are the ones who have been good servants for the club and proven in the past they are capable. New managers and players need to EARN the right to patience based on what they do at the club (not what they've achieved elsewhere).

Maybe because he is saying all sorts of flimflam for a pay day from ( among others) Talkbrick, but once again you think you know better then anyone else.

Didn't mean he is actually one of his mates, just another pundit writing off Villas Boas because Harry is more popular. Our form from January onwards seems to have been wiped from history, any other manager went on a run like we had and he'd have been slaughtered. I don't think Villas Boas is getting a fair crack at this job, and it's people that supposedly love the club that are doing him down, ultimately hurting the football club.

Yep, 4 wins from 16 I think it is.

I have no issue with AVB being compared to Harry and 'judged'

I have massive issue with that being done after 3 games (and even before)

At this time he needs an environment to thrive, he needs support. Then once he actually has the team in his shape we can judge.

I'm not sure he is being compared to Harry, he is being compared to the AVB at Chelsea last year by a lot of people looking for signs that he learnt from his many mistakes there.

Of course he will be compared to Harry over the longer term but not much point in that yet, we haven't even played a difficult opponent yet. Maybe we'll get a better idea how he compares to Harry after the Man U game, but only a glimpse.

One thing I will give Roberts credit for is at least he reads internet forums to learn his opinions. I mean, reading must be a real struggle for someone so... urm... simple.

Last edited:
Back