• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Graham Roberts

I agree that it is too early to judge him but newspapers, websites and sports TV have content to find. Football is now reported in exactly the same way as celebrity gossip.

I don't see many differences between the way that AVB and Rodgers are being written about.

Exactly. Spurs fans have a real thing about how the media portray us. But it's all in their minds. All clubs are treated the same. The media big you up when you're doing well (usually completely going over the top with the superlatives) and stick the knife in when you're doing poorly (again usually going over the top, and making things out to be far worse than they are). It's all theatre designed to sell papers. "Man Utd only take 99pts from a possible 100pts, crisis time!".

Not at all, but i also know that a lot of the negative stuff has been written/said by the ones who can not get over Redknapp being shown the door. And i still want to know how you know that all the ex-players ( who have said nothing) are against the AVB appointment, lets be honest you made that up did'nt you.

I don't know how all of them feel. But to my knowledge, we have at least two well respected former Spurs greats that are lukewarm/not thrilled about it. Ok, so maybe not a big enough sample to judge, but that's still 2 more than are in favour of it to our knowledge.

Indeed, hence why Graham Roberts has not helped with the timing of his interview. He being an ex-pro should more than anyone else know you cannot judge after only 3 games AND thst newspapers, website etc have column inches to fill.

He's paid to give an opinion, he was hardly going to not write about AVB given our mediocre start to the season.

There is no anti AVB stance in the British media, if we start winning games, he will get praised. The reason he gets criticised in the media is because he has promised far more than he has delivered.

What has he promised and not delivered?

He has talked about challenging for "titles" (read trophies) but with no time-frame. After three matches, its hard to say why he has failed to deliver what he promised. Even with three wins in convincing style, no titles would have been won.

You can generalise with Chelsea, but again what he promised was long-term change and he didn't get the opportunity. Specifically, what claims did he make with Chelsea that he failed to achieve?

He's paid to give an opinion, he was hardly going to not write about AVB given our mediocre start to the season.

he was interviewed - he didn't write the article.

they wouldn't have gone to him for a story if they were after a positive angle

He could have been more constructive: "it's not been a good start but we have to give the team and AVB time, as it's a new structure and there are players still bedding in..blah..blah..."

What would have been wrong with that?

Exactly. Spurs fans have a real thing about how the media portray us. But it's all in their minds. All clubs are treated the same. The media big you up when you're doing well (usually completely going over the top with the superlatives) and stick the knife in when you're doing poorly (again usually going over the top, and making things out to be far worse than they are). It's all theatre designed to sell papers. "Man Utd only take 99pts from a possible 100pts, crisis time!".

I don't think that it is just Spurs fans, I think that most football fans think that the media is against their club. What I find odd is that people take it so personally and refuse to take on board anything that does not endorse their opinion.

He could have been more constructive: "it's not been a good start but we have to give the team and AVB time, as it's a new structure and there are players still bedding in..blah..blah..."

It wouldn't sell as many papers or gets as many hits on the website.

I don't know how all of them feel. But to my knowledge, we have at least two well respected former Spurs greats that are lukewarm/not thrilled about it. Ok, so maybe not a big enough sample to judge, but that's still 2 more than are in favour of it to our knowledge.

I am pretty sure Mabbutt has come out and said he thinks AVB is a great choice for Spurs and Mullery has said the same, so once again you are not right.

Where did I say despise?

And yes I would apply the same conditions to every manager/player.

Perhaps you didn't actually say despise but you said they 'don't like the appointment - because they haven't said they like it'.

So by those conditions many ex-spurs players didn't like all our previous appointments.

Well at least you're consistent.

You'd have him lie in the name of modern PR spin? Why should he lie or have to put a PR spin on it? He doesn't work for Spurs!

I hate this modern world we live in where people are no longer expected to speak their mind and have to be "diplomatic" all the time.

I am pretty sure Mabbutt has come out and said he thinks AVB is a great choice for Spurs and Mullery has said the same, so once again you are not right.

Your "pretty sure", well that's definitive.

Gary Mabbutt is Mr Spurs, of course he's going to be positive.

It wouldn't sell as many papers or gets as many hits on the website.

Are you sure? What if he added, 'well he'll no doubt be better than that bellend bent Redknapp, who blew a 10 point lead. Can't believe that happened by the way..blah..blah.."

All those saying 'he's just voicing an opinion, one that fans are saying too' would no doubt be playing a different CD....:-"

You'd have him lie in the name of modern PR spin? Why should he lie or have to put a PR spin on it? He doesn't work for Spurs!

I hate this modern world we live in where people are no longer expected to speak their mind and have to be "diplomatic" all the time.

id rather he kept his gob shut than say negative things about a manager who is trying to settle in to a new club where fans already have concerns over his appointment.

the point is nothing positive comes from Roberts saying what he did, only negative - which, however small, is damaging to the club and something that I and presumably others don't like to see - especially from someone who is a bit of a legend here himself.

did he have a right to say what he did ? of course

did he have to give an interview to the paper where his negative opinions will be read by Spurs fans and increase their doubts towards the new manager ? no he didn't and in my opinionshouldn't have

id rather he kept his gob shut than say negative things about a manager who is trying to settle in to a new club where fans already have concerns over his appointment.

the point is nothing positive comes from Roberts saying what he did, only negative - which, however small, is damaging to the club and something that I and presumably others don't like to see - especially from someone who is a bit of a legend here himself.

did he have a right to say what he did ? of course

did he have to give an interview to the paper where his negative opinions will be read by Spurs fans and increase their doubts towards the new manager ? no he didn't and in my opinion should not have

Would agree with this, Roberts has been sticking the knife into Spurs ever since they knocked him back over a job, and he has never got over it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...es-Spurs-reject-offer-defensive-coaching.html

Back