• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Graham Roberts

What I meant was that expectation is higher than results. So far he has underperformed in English football, any manager doing that will be criticised.

Not very hard to do seeing as he went unbeaten and won three trophies in the season before he joined Chelsea, but for Spurs we should judge after longer then just 3 games

It was over the top and attention seeking maybe, but he's still allowed to have his opinion.

Yes, but as others are saying the timing and usefulness of it add pressure to Spurs and AVB right now. We don't need that, especially from somebody who should know not to add to the current pressure

Have you heard some of his words on TalkSport?? "AVB should try and get a better personality".
If you think that is useful and constructive then let's leave it there.

It's a valid point IMO, but not an easy to one to fix. Hoddle suffers from the same problem and I am a Hoddle fan. A charasmatic manager with limited tactical ability will almost always be superior in the English game to a manager with good tactical knowledge but a limited charisma.

AVB's problem is compounded in the English game that not only does he come across as lacking charisma (he may not do in his native tongue) but he can't make up for that with footballing inspiration either (at least Hoddle could do that). Can you imagine a professional footballer taking much notice of someone like AVB trying to coach them?!

So now we have a ex- player who is not happy with the situation which is one thing, however now we are supposed to believe that those who say nothing are also aginst AVB's appointment. :ross:

The silence is deafening IMO. Gary Linekar was the only other ex Spurs player that I'm aware of that has spoken of the regime change, and IIRC, it wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Like I said before, not everyone outside of GG is wowed by everything that Daniel Levy says or does, so there was always going to be skepticism with this appointment.

Especially from the players who have said nothing '( according to you), you could not make this brick up.:rolleyes:

It's a valid point IMO, but not an easy to one to fix. Hoddle suffers from the same problem and I am a Hoddle fan. A charasmatic manager with limited tactical ability will almost always be superior in the English game to a manager with good tactical knowledge but a limited charisma.

Sir Alex Fergusson
Arsene Wenger
Rafa Benitez

bastions of charisma :rolleyes:

AVB's problem is compounded in the English game that not only does he come across as lacking charisma (he may not do in his native tongue)

i find it telling that when it came to Redknapp you almost always ignored anyone who used his public persona as a reason to criticize him but here we are a little down the line and it is exactly AVB's public persona that you are using against him

but he can't make up for that with footballing inspiration either (at least Hoddle could do that). Can you imagine a professional footballer taking much notice of someone like AVB trying to coach them?!

you mean like all those professional footballers he coached at Porto with great success, yeah who would take much notice

Adding an emotican to the end of every sentence doesn't make your arguement more compelling.

What Roberts and Linkear is reflective of what most people in the football world think of the decision to get AVB in.

AVB's problem is compounded in the English game that not only does he come across as lacking charisma (he may not do in his native tongue) but he can't make up for that with footballing inspiration either (at least Hoddle could do that). Can you imagine a professional footballer taking much notice of someone like AVB trying to coach them?!

Please clarify how he comes across as lacking charisma. Then give examples of non-British managers who have charisma. Please also give examples of said managers 'showing charisma.'

Hoddle's 'football inspiration' as far as I remember came in the form of lambasting players for not having as much skill as him. Isn't this one of the main reasons why many players hated playing for him?

Adding an emotican to the end of every sentence doesn't make your agruement more compelling.

What Roberts and Linkear is reflective of what most people in the football world think of the decision to get AVB in.

My GHod you are serious arn't you, and i thought you were joking :ross:

I'm not sure he is being compared to Harry, he is being compared to the AVB at Chelsea last year by a lot of people looking for signs that he learnt from his many mistakes there.

Of course he will be compared to Harry over the longer term but not much point in that yet, we haven't even played a difficult opponent yet. Maybe we'll get a better idea how he compares to Harry after the Man U game, but only a glimpse.

He is consistently being compared to Harry. Particularly by a certain group who were big Harry fans and since hold it against AVB for having the audacity to take a vacant job...

And even if we were looking at comparing him against his time at Chelsea, is 3 games long enough to judge anything?

Adding an emotican to the end of every sentence doesn't make your arguement more compelling.

Really?? So because the ABC of ex-Sours players haven't all tweeted/e-mailed/texted their approval of AVB that means they all despise the appointment?
Would you apply those conditions to when Redknapp, Ramos, Jol, Santini, Hoddle were appointed?

He is consistently being compared to Harry. Particularly by a certain group who were big Harry fans and since hold it against AVB for having the audacity to take a vacant job...

And even if we were looking at comparing him against his time at Chelsea, is 3 games long enough to judge anything?

Looking forward to the answers to this one....

Not very hard to do seeing as he went unbeaten and won three trophies in the season before he joined Chelsea, but for Spurs we should judge after longer then just 3 games

I agree that it is too early to judge him but newspapers, websites and sports TV have content to find. Football is now reported in exactly the same way as celebrity gossip.

I don't see many differences between the way that AVB and Rodgers are being written about.

I agree that it is too early to judge him but newspapers, websites and sports TV have content to find. Football is now reported in exactly the same way as celebrity gossip.

I don't see many differences between the way that AVB and Rodgers are being written about.

Indeed, hence why Graham Roberts has not helped with the timing of his interview. He being an ex-pro should more than anyone else know you cannot judge after only 3 games AND thst newspapers, website etc have column inches to fill.

Really?? So because the ABC of ex-Sours players haven't all tweeted/e-mailed/texted their approval of AVB that means they all despise the appointment?
Would you apply those conditions to when Redknapp, Ramos, Jol, Santini, Hoddle were appointed?

Where did I say despise?

And yes I would apply the same conditions to every manager/player.

There you again, brilliant!

In your mind, everybody thinks the choice to give AVB the job is a masterstroke. You must have just been ignoring all the negative stuff written about him.

Not at all, but i also know that a lot of the negative stuff has been written/said by the ones who can not get over Redknapp being shown the door. And i still want to know how you know that all the ex-players ( who have said nothing) are against the AVB appointment, lets be honest you made that up did'nt you.

Back