• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Glasgow Rangers

Re: O/T - Glasgow Rangers go into adminstration

They may follow the Premier League but that's not the point. The point is Rangers and Celtic would replace a Wigan or Reading who no one in those countries would give a toss about.

And then, per my earlier post you'd have 26 extra blockbuster games. You don't think having 26 extra Man U v Liverpools wouldn't add a but extra to TV rights values? Not to mention that instead if West Ham v Reading, it's West Ham v Celtic, so again much more interest.

So it's 26 extra blockbuster games plus every other round has 2 extra games involving a marquee club.

Take it a bit further, with the extra money and exposure in the Premier League, the top clubs could start reversing the trend of football club towards La Liga and Bundesliga.

If you allow rangers, where does it stop?
Ajax, psv, benfica, Porto, sporting?

If rangers want to be a epl club, they need to move the club to an English town

Didn't Rangers play a league game in Berwick-upon-Tweed, England this season?

Rangers and Celtic playing in the Premier League or Football League is different from inviting Ajax or Porto. Football in the UK is a bit anomalous because we have the four football nations in the same nation state and there is already some mixing (the Welsh clubs and Berwick). We wouldn't even need to change the names of the leagues as they have never been the English Football League or English Premier League.

I would imagine the strongest objections would come from Scotland as they would fear for their separate football nation status for internationals and European competition.

They may follow the Premier League but that's not the point. The point is Rangers and Celtic would replace a Wigan or Reading who no one in those countries would give a toss about.

And then, per my earlier post you'd have 26 extra blockbuster games. You don't think having 26 extra Man U v Liverpools wouldn't add a but extra to TV rights values? Not to mention that instead if West Ham v Reading, it's West Ham v Celtic, so again much more interest.

So it's 26 extra blockbuster games plus every other round has 2 extra games involving a marquee club.

Take it a bit further, with the extra money and exposure in the Premier League, the top clubs could start reversing the trend of football club towards La Liga and Bundesliga.

You're assuming that every big game featuring the Old Firm would be on TV?

Look at it this way, if Celtic and Rangers were this staggeringly rich seam of TV money to be mined, why is it that Scottish TV rights are nigh on worthless? Obviously, the SPL as a whole isn't attractive but if, as you claim, all these fanatically dedicated fans around the world are desperate to watch Celtic and Rangers games, you'd expect to see at least some evidence of their mighty TV audience drawing power. Where is it?

You say that no one around the world cares about Reading or Wigan. But the truth is - much as the Old Firm don't care to admit it - that 99.9% of the world couldn't give a toss about Rangers and Celtic either. So I repeat - it is the Premier League that is the attraction. And Reading and Wigan, however unimportant they might seem to you, are rightfully in the Premier League - which is more than can or will ever be said about Celtic and Rangers.

Ultimately, there is a reason why the proposal to allow the Old Firm into the Premier League met with universal rejection. It is because there is a far bigger downside than upside; far more risk than reward. It's just not worth it.

Oh, and one other thing.....a huge number of Koreans at Loftus Road to watch the game today. Wearing QPR scarves. There to see Park Ji Sung. They weren't there last year. Won't be there after he leaves. Same goes for the vast majority of Celtic's supposed fans in Japan.

Sets an extremely dangerous precedent, though. Where will it end? What is to prevent the Bundesliga deciding that it doesn't quite fancy Freiburg vs Eintracht Frankfurt and inviting Ajax and Feyenoord over? Ligue 1 offering admission to Standard Liege and Anderlecht because FC Nantes doesn't draw enough viewers? La Liga offering a free entrance pass to Porto and Benfica and shooing Osasuna and Levante out of the back door?

Sure, many of these moves would be impractical when viewed from our current pragmatic stance on professional football leagues, i.e they are mostly confined to including clubs from within their own borders. But when that changes because the Premier League (the trend-setter in terms of global reach and marketing strategies) decided to dump two of its less popular clubs for two more popular foreign ones, the knock-on effect will see many of these moves seriously considered. Then where will football be?

I think there's a key difference between a Scottish side wanting to play in an English league, vs say a Dutch side wanting to play in a German league. For starters, they'd still be playing in a league based in their own country.

I think there's a key difference between a Scottish side wanting to play in an English league, vs say a Dutch side wanting to play in a German league. For starters, they'd still be playing in a league based in their own country.

Not for much longer, if Alex Salmond gets his way. I understand the argument for the unique arrangement in the UK, with its constituencies having separate football divisions (unlike most comparable EU countries), but if Rangers get dropped into the English leagues, the precedent is established. What is to prevent Ajax, for example, arguing that the Netherlands' status relative to the EU is very similar to Scotland's status relative to the UK, and demanding admission to the Bundesliga on that basis? In the hands of the right lawyers, it is an arguable case. And (ignoring the traditional Netherlands - Germany rivalry for a moment), if Ajax convinced their supporters than the financial benefits of joining the Bundesliga outweighed the sentimental value of staying in the Eredivisie, there's no reason to think that their supporters would be averse to the move either. And if the 'distance' argument is factored into the equation, I'd argue that, for example,a trip from Glasgow to London isn't that much shorter than a trip from Amsterdam to Berlin, or Munich, or Bremen. So that's out of the way as well.

And so you have the very real danger of Ajax pressing ahead with their demands for admission into the Bundesliga, citing the 'Rangers precedent' as an example.

Again, there's a clear difference between the relationship of England and Scotland compared to Netherlands and Germany.

And wouldn't the precedent already be set with Swansea in the Premier League? Monaco in the French league? Wellington in the Australian league?

Again, there's a clear difference between the relationship of England and Scotland compared to Netherlands and Germany.

And wouldn't the precedent already be set with Swansea in the Premier League? Monaco in the French league? Wellington in the Australian league?

Like I said, in terms of a legal, judicial, administrative and economic framework, there is little difference between the relationship Scotland shares with the UK and the Netherlands shares with its common-market EU neighbour. After all, the integration most EU members have with the common market is the principle reason for its existence, and it's rather obvious that the concept of a 'European Bloc' with an absence of many traditional sovereign rights afforded to its member states is gaining ground in Brussels. So, legally, economically and administratively, there isn't much difference between the Netherlands and Germany. And in a legal argument, those are really most of the things that matter. Sure, there's a cultural difference, but then again you don't see ****neys from the East End eating deep-fried Mars bars and wearing kilts, so there is an (admittedly somewhat weak) argument to be made in that case as well.

The second part of your post is an intriguing one ( I believe there is a precedent in those cases, yes) but the motivation for a move as pronounced as Ajax to the Bundesliga isn't there at the moment. After all, Swansea, Monaco, Wellington....these are all either clubs with a long history of competition in their respective leagues, or negligible economically. However, if Rangers-Celtic were to move to the BPL, and the resultant fans and TV rights were to blast the PL's spending power sky-high (as many here posit will be the case), then clubs like Ajax and co. will feel threatened by the rapidly increasing gap between them and the PL, and will start to listen to the arguments for moving to a more economically rewarding league more closely. It would be the 'impetus' necessary for these moves to start being taken seriously by these European clubs and associations, is what I'm saying. And after all, if they do then decide to merge, the Rangers precedent will still be a 'new' and relatively 'big' case, and thus its staying power would thus be considerable when convincing a sceptical legal audience.

Last edited:

Like Swansea, or Cardiff perhaps?

Who have both been in the English league system for 100 years. Slightly different to a club wanting to switch leagues today because they don't make enough money in their current one.

Not for much longer, if Alex Salmond gets his way.

That's looking very unlikely. If Scotland votes for independence that would probably kill off any chance of Rangers joining the PL as they could no longer use their main argument, the Welsh clubs.

Would also mean I wouldn't have to put up with the Andy Murray love-fest in Random. What are the chances of Scotland suceding before the Aus Open final?

According to Alex Salmond's claimed legal advice about 50-50, but its just possible this is slightly less than true.

According to Alex Salmond's claimed legal advice about 50-50, but its just possible this is slightly less than true.

I think that it would be best if we kept detailed discussion on the ins and outs of Scottish independence to Random

Specifically in terms of football, no, they wouldn't still be playing in the same country. The Sots have always been insistent upon ferociously emphasising and guarding their footballing independence.

If Rangers or Celtic came into the PL Id stop watching football

Who have both been in the English league system for 100 years. Slightly different to a club wanting to switch leagues today because they don't make enough money in their current one.

This is where I stand also.

There is certainly a good argument for making Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham and Merthyr to return to Wales.

But we have to look at the current politics and make a judgment now, not 100 years ago.

When Wimbledon thought about moving to Dublin, they were rightly told they couldnt play in the English lge.

If a Welsh side tried to join the lge now, they would be told no.

And so it should be for rangers.
The UK make up is a united kingdom comprising of 4 sovereignties. That equals 4 seperate lge's.

The alternative is a gb lge, which is a good idea but not practicable imho

Back