• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ghosts

Thanks for posting that video Milo, it was good. Reminded me of Scaramanga talking to those Aura bullshippers like Gifter, but more entertaining.

Tim Minchin also went up in my estimation - as he is a musical poet type that doesn't wear socks and shoes, I had lazily assumed he was more towards aura than science on the famous aura-science scale.

He's very sound on rationality and science. He's been a guest on the Infinite Monkey Cage a few times and has been good value.

Tim Minchin is a dude. There's a YouTube vid of him doing some graduating class speech. Is very good.

I agree that on impressions, with the hair and way he speaks, he comes across as a vegan, tree-hugging, touchy-feely sook. But he's actually a very intelligent guy.

Here it is:

[video=youtube;NyBvbot3emM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyBvbot3emM[/video]

*Thread successfully derailed.

Absolute ****ing **** comedian. Him and Russel Brand have alot to answer for.
When they both sorted of entered the public eye in the mid 00's, it was too much to take.

Last edited:
Absolute ****ing **** comedian. Him and Russel Brand have alot to answer for.
When they both sorted of entered the public eye in the mid 00's, it was too much to take.
Tim's a very intelligent comedian who's mostly correct about the things he says.
Brand does nothing but thesaurus-based comedy and doesn't have the first clue about the things he offers opinions on.

Nothing to do with ghosts or sleep disorders.

But has anyone been to a place for the FIRST time in your life and felt familiar with the place.

I have traveled extensively, been to over 40 countries, and 180 cities. Some of the countries like the UK or US I have been like 100 and 25 times respectively.

However, on three occasions, when I have been in a city for the first time ever, I have felt that I have been there before. On each occasion, it has been in daytime, with friends, work colleagues or family . And each time I have not had a drink, jet lag, stress, lack of sleep etc.

1. First time time in Dayton Ohio, US.

We are driving on the highway with some work mates. I somehow seem to know what is coming up next. The guys suggest we stop for a drink and a meal. Everyone wants a grill place. I just tell the guy driving, who is a Dayton resident, to take the next turn, and we will find a great steak house. Nobody believes me but I insist. Lo & behold, a mile after we turn off we find a GREAT steak house. Not only that, I "know" where the restrooms are etc.

2. I am in Munich, Germany, for my first visit.

With friends including a local German Munich resident. As we are walking down a street, I can tell what the next shop is going to be. One of the guys wants to buy some German beer tankards. Again, I suggest we walk another 500 meters and there will be a shop there. And it was there. The ONLY one on that street.

3. In KL, Malaysia. My first visit.

I am with the wife and our 2 very young kids. Again I feel that I know the street we are on very well. Suddenly, my son wants to go for a pee.
We can't see any toilets around. I tell the wife to look after the daughter, as I know where the toilets are. And sure enough they were where I thought they were.

These are very strange happenings. I don't understand how. I have NO hereditary relationship to any of these 3 places.

Anyone else had such an experience ?

I'm much more inclined to believe in previous lives than the supernatural

But has anyone been to a place for the FIRST time in your life and felt familiar with the place.

I have traveled extensively, been to over 40 countries, and 180 cities. Some of the countries like the UK or US I have been like 100 and 25 times respectively.

However, on three occasions, when I have been in a city for the first time ever, I have felt that I have been there before. On each occasion, it has been in daytime, with friends, work colleagues or family . And each time I have not had a drink, jet lag, stress, lack of sleep etc.

We are driving on the highway with some work mates. I somehow seem to know what is coming up next. The guys suggest we stop for a drink and a meal. Everyone wants a grill place. I just tell the guy driving, who is a Dayton resident, to take the next turn, and we will find a great steak house. Nobody believes me but I insist. Lo & behold, a mile after we turn off we find a GREAT steak house. Not only that, I "know" where the restrooms are etc.

With friends including a local German Munich resident. As we are walking down a street, I can tell what the next shop is going to be. One of the guys wants to buy some German beer tankards. Again, I suggest we walk another 500 meters and there will be a shop there. And it was there. The ONLY one on that street.

I am with the wife and our 2 very young kids. Again I feel that I know the street we are on very well. Suddenly, my son wants to go for a pee.
We can't see any toilets around. I tell the wife to look after the daughter, as I know where the toilets are. And sure enough they were where I thought they were.

These are very strange happenings. I don't understand how. I have NO hereditary relationship to any of these 3 places.

I've had similar experiences (I've also traveled a a fair bit). I've also had similar experiences where I've felt like I've known where something should/would be and been wrong. To me at least confirmation bias explains a lot of it. Perhaps combined with sometimes subconsciously picking up on a sign or something like that. (Not trying to write off your experiences, I obviously don't have your experiences and the explanation for you could be different.)

If this was evidence of a larger effect, some ability we as humans have to actually figure out what's around us without any visual cues to it's existence such a phenomenon should be possible to study scientifically. Scientific evidence has so far remained absent.

So, going by that logic, which I agree with, by the way - all the concepts you're mentioning here (even rationality itself) are also man made concepts. So, how can you say that a man made concept like "ghost" can exist any less than another man made concept, like "rationality" or "interpretation", if everything we experience are just images in our brains?

I don't know about ghosts. I've experienced some strange things myself, and heard stories, but have never really been convinced either way. I think it sounds somewhat far fetched that someone supposedly dead can come back (or stay around) and do stuff in the physical world, but I'm not going to say that it can't happen.

Now, tell us your friend's story, please. :)

What he said was: "Everything you see in the world is not exactly how it truly is, it's just an image created by your brain in order to understand the world."

That's not quite the same as saying that everything we experience are just images in our brains. There is a connection between the real world and our experiences. To verify what is real and what is not, to separate fact from fiction, we use science.

How did I know that would be your reply ;)

Ghosts? I'm not so sure but something out there we haven't figured out yet? Yes.

If there were no more things to figure out science would stop. There's obviously tons of stuff we still don't understand. Based on what's happened so far in history chances are what will be explained will be explained by science.

There might be things that's beyond science to explain, I haven't been convinced that any other methodology can explain those things either though.

I've had similar experiences (I've also traveled a a fair bit). I've also had similar experiences where I've felt like I've known where something should/would be and been wrong. To me at least confirmation bias explains a lot of it. Perhaps combined with sometimes subconsciously picking up on a sign or something like that. (Not trying to write off your experiences, I obviously don't have your experiences and the explanation for you could be different.)

That explains that particular "phenomena" entirely.

Though saying that I had a strange experience the other day. I was in a totally unfamiliar part of London, and I just knew there'd be a McDonalds there. It was weird, I can't explain it, but I just knew it would be there! And I just knew there'd be some Eastern European chick serving me and that the manager would be some Indian fella. Strange.

So you have visited 180 cities. Given that you must have visited several places in many of these, you will have visited hundreds, possibly thousands, of new places. Have you never felt any seemed familiar and been wrong? These three might be memorable because they were the small fraction where you were right. On other occasions, with nothing memorable about the incidents it is easy to forget.

It is not uncommon for us men to insist we know where we are going, perhaps you are just surprised when you really do. ;)

I was diagnosed with coeliac disease, which is incurable. I went to a (very eccentric) kinesiologist. Now I don't have coeliac disease.

But I don't believe in ghosts...

Any chance you could share who it was? Wife has it as well, would love a cure!

Any chance you could share who it was? Wife has it as well, would love a cure!

As someone afflicted by illness I've come across of lot of voodoo doctors offering magical cures and they are all just charlatans.

I don't suffer from it personally, but there is no cure for Coeliac disease. The sufferer's body treats gluten an hostile foreign body and attacks it, which damages the sufferer's intestines - nothing can change that and the only option is abstinence from gluten. As I said earlier, Raoul Duke was probably misdiagnosed with it in the first place and had a false positive blood test for it. The only way to accurately diagnose it is with a biopsy.

That would be the little electrical impulses in your brain that create thoughts.

Precisely. Some folk have more vim. Others tend to drain and such out energy scara. Maybe it's nature's way of topping you up to where the rest of us are.

That would be the little electrical impulses in your brain that create thoughts.

Indeed. I find as I get older I have less and less tolerance for people believing stupid things like the existence of a GHod, fate, an afterlife, a former life, ghosts, a soul. Etc. Etc.

Back