• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ghosts

It definitely sounds like something that could happen during sleep paralysis (I've had several similar experiences during sleep paralysis), but that would have course mean he would have to have fallen asleep before this happened. So, was he getting ready for bed, or was he in bed trying to sleep? If he was standing up brushing his teeth or something, it's highly unlikely that his experience had anything to do with sleep paralysis.

Can a hypnagogic hallucination be proven? Or just postulated ?

If he'd been in a sleep clinic and wired up for a multiple sleep latency test, it probably would have shown that he went straight into REM sleep without the normal period of non-REM sleep first.

That's a great analysis, makes sense. But how does that explain the others in the house saying 'he's a regular visitor?' Is sleep paralysis or the hypoallergenic what-have-you hereditary

A hypnagogic hallucination happens the exact moment sleep washes over you and often jolts you awake. If it doesn't, it turns into a prolonged episode of Sleep Paralysis that can go on for up to an hour. You remain conscious and perceive that your eyes are open but they probably aren't, and what you see is generally the room you were lying in, but somehow distorted and there's always an air of malevolence. Kind of like when Frodo puts the ring on. They really are very unpleasant.

I imagine rural India is quite a superstitious place and most communities probably have their spirit stories. The experience described sounds like a variation of the Incubus type of episode - a sense of an intruder, something constricting your breathing, a feeling of malevolence. The last one I had, a couple of years ago, there was a girl like the one in the Les Miserables poster standing at the end of my bed, and the window was open with the curtain rustling - something also often present in such episodes.

It can be symptom of an underlying condition such as narcolepsy. I have a lot of sleep issues related to another condition. I wouldn't worry about it too much though unless it starts happening regularly.

If he'd been in a sleep clinic and wired up for a multiple sleep latency test, it probably would have shown that he went straight into REM sleep without the normal period of non-REM sleep first.

A hypnagogic hallucination happens the exact moment sleep washes over you and often jolts you awake. If it doesn't, it turns into a prolonged episode of Sleep Paralysis that can go on for up to an hour. You remain conscious and perceive that your eyes are open but they probably aren't, and what you see is generally the room you were lying in, but somehow distorted and there's always an air of malevolence. Kind of like when Frodo puts the ring on. They really are very unpleasant.

I imagine rural India is quite a superstitious place and most communities probably have their spirit stories. The experience described sounds like a variation of the Incubus type of episode - a sense of an intruder, something constricting your breathing, a feeling of malevolence. The last one I had, a couple of years ago, there was a girl like the one in the Les Miserables poster standing at the end of my bed, and the window was open with the curtain rustling - something also often present in such episodes.

It can be symptom of an underlying condition such as narcolepsy. I have a lot of sleep issues related to another condition. I wouldn't worry about it too much though unless it starts happening regularly.

Hmmm. Thanks for explaining. It's good to know because I have had times when I've 'woken up' and felt something or someone pushing my head down so I couldn't move, also the hands around the throat scenario. Plus hallucinations of some sort. I've never bothered to get it checked out, just assumed it had something to do with me being in a state of limbo between sleep and being awake. Much to my other half's amusement, I also on occasions start spasming or jolting as I'm about to fall asleep, like an involuntary full body reaction which feels like it is starting in my lower back area. Could just have a dodgy back though!

Hmmm. Thanks for explaining. It's good to know because I have had times when I've 'woken up' and felt something or someone pushing my head down so I couldn't move, also the hands around the throat scenario. Plus hallucinations of some sort. I've never bothered to get it checked out, just assumed it had something to do with me being in a state of limbo between sleep and being awake. Much to my other half's amusement, I also on occasions start spasming or jolting as I'm about to fall asleep, like an involuntary full body reaction which feels like it is starting in my lower back area. Could just have a dodgy back though!

Sardar Ji, You need a couple of Johny Walker shots before you go to bed. :-"

It definitely sounds like something that could happen during sleep paralysis (I've had several similar experiences during sleep paralysis), but that would have course mean he would have to have fallen asleep before this happened. So, was he getting ready for bed, or was he in bed trying to sleep? If he was standing up brushing his teeth or something, it's highly unlikely that his experience had anything to do with sleep paralysis.

He's adamant he was wide awake, standing by his bed and getting ready to put his pjs on. He was still in his 'day clothes' when it happened. From what i've read though, this wouldn't necessarily preclude SP?

He's adamant he was wide awake, standing by his bed and getting ready to put his pjs on. He was still in his 'day clothes' when it happened. From what i've read though, this wouldn't necessarily preclude SP?

He was probably just trying to make sense of it and rationalize it, and was in fact lying in bed. If it happens again he'll be more aware of what is going on and understand it better. It really does feel completely real.

I'm beginning to think that might actually be the problem, too much of that bhenchod before bed :ross:

LOL

That swear, it is so Punjabi (my roots), it means sister f****er. I have an uncle who uses it in pretty much every sentence, I remember once he called his son one in the presence of his daughter, my aunt went mad!

When I was younger and about to do something stupid my dead granddad turned himself into a cat and followed me down the street and clawed at my hands until I went home. Ever since I have believed in "chosen" ones being there to help us.

Hadn't seen that before. Excellent isn't it?
Really good. I only saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago after reading about a comic of it that has been released.

Whilst no where near as witty, it helped clear up why I rarely get invited back a second time to dinner parties.

Nothing to do with ghosts or sleep disorders.

But has anyone been to a place for the FIRST time in your life and felt familiar with the place.

I have traveled extensively, been to over 40 countries, and 180 cities. Some of the countries like the UK or US I have been like 100 and 25 times respectively.

However, on three occasions, when I have been in a city for the first time ever, I have felt that I have been there before. On each occasion, it has been in daytime, with friends, work colleagues or family . And each time I have not had a drink, jet lag, stress, lack of sleep etc.

1. First time time in Dayton Ohio, US.

We are driving on the highway with some work mates. I somehow seem to know what is coming up next. The guys suggest we stop for a drink and a meal. Everyone wants a grill place. I just tell the guy driving, who is a Dayton resident, to take the next turn, and we will find a great steak house. Nobody believes me but I insist. Lo & behold, a mile after we turn off we find a GREAT steak house. Not only that, I "know" where the restrooms are etc.

2. I am in Munich, Germany, for my first visit.

With friends including a local German Munich resident. As we are walking down a street, I can tell what the next shop is going to be. One of the guys wants to buy some German beer tankards. Again, I suggest we walk another 500 meters and there will be a shop there. And it was there. The ONLY one on that street.

3. In KL, Malaysia. My first visit.

I am with the wife and our 2 very young kids. Again I feel that I know the street we are on very well. Suddenly, my son wants to go for a pee.
We can't see any toilets around. I tell the wife to look after the daughter, as I know where the toilets are. And sure enough they were where I thought they were.

These are very strange happenings. I don't understand how. I have NO hereditary relationship to any of these 3 places.

Anyone else had such an experience ?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that video Milo, it was good. Reminded me of Scaramanga talking to those Aura bullshippers like Gifter, but more entertaining.

Tim Minchin also went up in my estimation - as he is a musical poet type that doesn't wear socks and shoes, I had lazily assumed he was more towards aura than science on the famous aura-science scale.

Nothing to do with ghosts or sleep disorders.

But has anyone been to a place for the FIRST time in your life and felt familiar with the place.

I have traveled extensively, been to over 40 countries, and 180 cities. Some of the countries like the UK or US I have been like 100 and 25 times respectively.

However, on three occasions, when I have been in a city for the first time ever, I have felt that I have been there before. On each occasion, it has been in daytime, with friends, work colleagues or family . And each time I have not had a drink, jet lag, stress, lack of sleep etc.

1. First time time in Dayton Ohio, US.

We are driving on the highway with some work mates. I somehow seem to know what is coming up next. The guys suggest we stop for a drink and a meal. Everyone wants a grill place. I just tell the guy driving, who is a Dayton resident, to take the next turn, and we will find a great steak house. Nobody believes me but I insist. Lo & behold, a mile after we turn off we find a GREAT steak house. Not only that, I "know" where the restrooms are etc.

2. I am in Munich, Germany, for my first visit.

With friends including a local German Munich resident. As we are walking down a street, I can tell what the next shop is going to be. One of the guys wants to buy some German beer tankards. Again, I suggest we walk another 500 meters and there will be a shop there. And it was there. The ONLY one on that street.

3. In KL, Malaysia. My first visit.

I am with the wife and our 2 very young kids. Again I feel that I know the street we are on very well. Suddenly, my son wants to go for a pee.
We can't see any toilets around. I tell the wife to look after the daughter, as I know where the toilets are. And sure enough they were where I thought they were.

These are very strange happenings. I don't understand how. I have NO hereditary relationship to any of these 3 places.

Anyone else had such an experience ?

I have these sorts of experiences all the time. but best not to divulge because Scara will bore us to death with another lecture about why he's better than everyone else and knows best ;)

Last edited:
Back