• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

GG posters who play or coach

Sunday league refs must be mental! I couldn't do it.
I remember a story a few years back, I think it was hackney marshes, ref sent this bloke off, he went home and came back with an air rifle.

*Details are a bit sketchy, but it was something like that.

Sunday league refs must be mental! I couldn't do it.
I remember a story a few years back, I think it was hackney marshes, ref sent this bloke off, he went home and came back with an air rifle.

*Details are a bit sketchy, but it was something like that.

A mate of mine was shot with an air riffle during a game. Some kids were taking pot shots from a house over looking the pitch. To be fair, it was bloody funny.

The Ryman league has its moments, some teams/players dirtier than others. Depends on how the game is going for the team in question. I saw a player fiven a straight red for calling the ref a ****, and they had about six players booked for dirty play too.

Used to play at a decent level. Was at Gravesend but then uni made more sense.

At uni I focused on the track. 400 metres was my event, but after a couple of years the nightlife got me

playing on tour in Ireland once and a bunch of kids set a load of fireworks across the pitch, luckily no one was hurt

tallaght iirc, funny little place

I know a story from round my way of a referee getting head butted (not a Pardew butt a proper one) after sending off some lad. The player in question is banned from all football in the area now.

Working in the medical field though I've seen a lot of lads come in who have had broken tibia's and/or fibula's from over zealous challenges, or from thugs who take exception to being played off the park.

That's awful mate, sorry to hear that.
Cheers mate. Playing was my life, and I remember Eddie Stein ( those who know Barnet will know Eddie ) who was a sort of mentor to me, saying at an awards dinner when he saw me on crutches, that at my young age it was probably over, I still had some hopes of playing lower league full time pro football.
When you hear it from a pro, it was like a kick in the balls.
I do competitive cycling now but nothing comes close to the beauty and freedom of expression a silly round ball gives you.

The Ryman league has its moments, some teams/players dirtier than others. Depends on how the game is going for the team in question. I saw a player fiven a straight red for calling the ref a ****, and they had about six players booked for dirty play too.
I got sent off for swearing at myself!!
Was having an off day, miss placed a pass and gave myself a bit of a gonad*ing, ref warned me, I didn't think much of it. Did the same thing a couple of minutes later " oh ffs sort it out "
straight red.
I've never met anyone else who has been sent off for being ****ed off with themselves. I was livid.

A mate of mine was shot with an air riffle during a game. Some kids were taking pot shots from a house over looking the pitch. To be fair, it was bloody funny.
I don't know why, but that does sound quite funny. Infact it might have improved performance, I know I would have been running a lot faster, or hiding behind a big CB.

Cheers mate. Playing was my life, and I remember Eddie Stein ( those who know Barnet will know Eddie ) who was a sort of mentor to me, saying at an awards dinner when he saw me on crutches, that at my young age it was probably over, I still had some hopes of playing lower league full time pro football.
When you hear it from a pro, it was like a kick in the balls.
I do competitive cycling now but nothing comes close to the beauty and freedom of expression a silly round ball gives you.

I do know Eddie Stein, being a Barnet boy myself! That must have been an emotional moment mate, I can only imagine how crushed you must have felt. At least you have the 'enjoyment' of being a Spurs fan to make up for it ;)

It is quite ridiculous how chasing after a ball can bring such happiness to millions of people around the world!

I got sent off for swearing at myself!!
Was having an off day, miss placed a pass and gave myself a bit of a gonad*ing, ref warned me, I didn't think much of it. Did the same thing a couple of minutes later " oh ffs sort it out "
straight red.
I've never met anyone else who has been sent off for being ****ed off with themselves. I was livid.

:ross:

I do know Eddie Stein, being a Barnet boy myself! That must have been an emotional moment mate, I can only imagine how crushed you must have felt. At least you have the 'enjoyment' of being a Spurs fan to make up for it ;)

It is quite ridiculous how chasing after a ball can bring such happiness to millions of people around the world!
It is ridiculous. I do a fair bit of backpacking and always keep a ball at the top of my bag. Although my knees limit me to what I can do football wise, It's amazing what a few tricks and flicks can bring out in young and old,
I was in the Philippines about 6-7 years ago and everybody plays Basketball, I was in a village of a couple of hundred, got a football out and did a couple of tricks for some local kids, spent the rest of the afternoon teaching half the village to catch a ball on the back of your neck, it was fantastic, it puts things in perspective when I think how ****ty the pro game is ,I remember the simple pleasure and the friends I've made with just a football.

Used to play at a decent level. Was at Gravesend but then uni made more sense.

At uni I focused on the track. 400 metres was my event, but after a couple of years the nightlife got me

Used to do the 400, It's the track equivalent of being a goalkeeeper , you have to be nuts to do it. The only thing worse must be the 4 hurdles, Ed Moses probably one of the top 4 or 5 athletes of all time, a beast!!

My first season finished about 3 weeks ago and we finished 4th out of 7 which i'm happy with as there was two exceptional teams in the league.

In June i've got presentation day to worry about and July I have my module 2 and to top it off one of the players has asked me to go into their school as part of health week and give a talk in front of the whole year about why playing football keeps you healthy. To say this is massively out of my comfort zone would be a huge understatement and i'm not scared to admit im ****ting myself. :lol:

It is ridiculous. I do a fair bit of backpacking and always keep a ball at the top of my bag. Although my knees limit me to what I can do football wise, It's amazing what a few tricks and flicks can bring out in young and old,
I was in the Philippines about 6-7 years ago and everybody plays Basketball, I was in a village of a couple of hundred, got a football out and did a couple of tricks for some local kids, spent the rest of the afternoon teaching half the village to catch a ball on the back of your neck, it was fantastic, it puts things in perspective when I think how ****ty the pro game is ,I remember the simple pleasure and the friends I've made with just a football.

Funny, had the same experience myself at a bus stop in Guatemala whilst waiting for about 3 hours for a bus. Me and a mate doing keep-ups between each other and flicks and tricks to pass the time, next thing about 20 kids from the local village have us surrounded and are cheering and shouting for every trick.

I used to play at very low amateur level but have coached at Southend United's (then) Centre of Excellence - not sure what eppp grading they have now. It was mainly the younger age groups but a few that I coached have now been signed on young pro contracts so hoping to see a couple make first team in next couple of years.

These days I am now a referee, again only at amateur level, but enjoy doing this.

Saturday football in the leagues iplay in are very well refed and the afa run it very well if clubs fail to keep players under control they get fined if it keeps happening clubs kick them out and leagues refuse registration so don't come across much trouble. All teams are marked after game by opposing captains on spirit of football etc and if the club keep getting low marks they get in trouble

Played amateur football in Goal, had trials at Colchester United but decided I would never oust Walker (Mike not Ian), gave up playing after breaking my ankle. Took up refereeing until my knees and patience gave out.

Used to play at a reasonable standard. Not quite semi-pro but close. County-level.

These days (28), play evening 11s for my work side on 4g down at bacon's college.

And a lot of 5-aside - one a kickabout with mate and one competitive over at David Beckham soccerdome at North Greenwich.

ive played as a ringer a few times for a local amateur club. and my experience is the same as the posters above. its absolutely incomparable to my experiences when playing school football (up to 18 years old) and university football.

some of the players that play in these leagues are crazy. i would advise anyone that hasn't played in england before to just watch out and be careful.

i think the problems stem from the refereeing tbh. the refs just never want to hand out any cards. and seem to have the howard webb attitude of "if i can diffuse a situation, then there's no need to book players, and i've done well to keep all 22 players on the pitch (regardless of what the actual rules)". and because of this, players get away with murder. having said this, i do feel for the refs. i wouldn't be surprised if some of them are scared to book players. i know i certainly would be.

* i've probably played 10 or so games in the past 18 months in the regional district league and i've never seen even a yellow card handed out in this time.

I agree with your conclusions. I think ultimately the blame lays with the macarons who play football at modest levels and act like absolute f**king animals. I don't blame refs really - the amount of vitriol and sometimes physical abuse they get is farcial... can't really blame them for sometimes bottling the decisions.

A guy I went to uni with is rising the ranks of reffing around SE/East London - he's taken some of my matches. He's doing well as he takes a strong line against dirty ***ts - doesn't stand for verbal abuse or bad challenges.

Just the other week he sent off a player who tried to re-enact the Ramires challenge against Villa. It was a proper leaping through the air both feet off the floor style leg breaker. All day a red card, but same as most of you guys I've seen enough of those type of challenges go unpunished down the years. Anyway, ref makes the big call, rightly sends off the player. The player goes absolutely ballistic, effin and blinding, eventually leaves the field after about 5 minutes of threatening to kill the ref, do him in the car park after, etc. The whole game is stopped for 10 minutes.

Anyway... 5 mins to go in the game... ANOTHER player in this team makes a similarly bad challenge. Ref sends him off too. Repeat scenario, the pplayer goes mental. But this time.. as he walks past the ref he sucker-punches him!! Lamps him one right in the face. Our captain steps in (doesn't even touch him, just says 'whoaaaa' and tries to defuse the situation), this t**t whacks him one too! Right in the ear. Catches an ear drum and both the ref and captain have to go to hospital.

No word of a lie, this played out a few weeks ago, in a corporate after work league!! I mean seriously. That's the type of crap that refs (and players) have to put up with... so I don't blame refs especially. Imagine finishing work to ref a kick around (cos I mean fundamentally that's all it is - a kick around) just to get physically and verbally abused?? I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
Used to play at a reasonable standard. Not quite semi-pro but close. County-level.

These days (28), play evening 11s for my work side on 4g down at bacon's college.

And a lot of 5-aside - one a kickabout with mate and one competitive over at David Beckham soccerdome at North Greenwich.

I agree with your conclusions. I think ultimately the blame lays with the macarons who play football at modest levels and act like absolute f**king animals. I don't blame refs really - the amount of vitriol and sometimes physical abuse they get is farcial... can't really blame them for sometimes bottling the decisions.

A guy I went to uni with is rising the ranks of reffing around SE/East London - he's taken some of my matches. He's doing well as he takes a strong line against dirty ***ts - doesn't stand for verbal abuse or bad challenges.

Just the other week he sent off a player who tried to re-enact the Ramires challenge against Villa. It was a proper leaping through the air both feet off the floor style leg breaker. All day a red card, but same as most of you guys I've seen enough of those type of challenges go unpunished down the years. Anyway, ref makes the big call, rightly sends off the player. The player goes absolutely ballistic, effin and blinding, eventually leaves the field after about 5 minutes of threatening to kill the ref, do him in the car park after, etc. The whole game is stopped for 10 minutes.

Anyway... 5 mins to go in the game... ANOTHER player in this team makes a similarly bad challenge. Ref sends him off too. Repeat scenario, the pplayer goes mental. But this time.. as he walks past the ref he sucker-punches him!! Lamps him one right in the face. Our captain steps in (doesn't even touch him, just says 'whoaaaa' and tries to defuse the situation), this t**t whacks him one too! Right in the ear. Catches an ear drum and both the ref and captain have to go to hospital.

No word of a lie, this played out a few weeks ago, in a corporate after work league!! I mean seriously. That's the type of crap that refs (and players) have to put up with... so I don't blame refs especially. Imagine finishing work to ref a kick around (cos I mean fundamentally that's all it is - a kick around) just to get physically and verbally abused?? I wouldn't do it.

Were the police called in?

Back