• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

GG posters who play or coach

Grew up playing for a great Youth team, won everything there was to win and all of us at one point or another were either looked at or given a trial by a pro team. The only one that 'made it' though was a guy called Jonny Steele who now plays for New York Red bulls.

Played for my county and was a fairly decent player up until I broke my leg badly at 17. Never really the same player when I came back but played amateur league up until last year. Just had a little girl so taking some time out and trying to work out whether I should go back or not. Put my boots on the other day and really missed kicking a ball to be honest.

Still play 6 a side once a week and the occasional 11 a side vets game.

I'm 53 btw. Anyone older still playing? I need a target to aim for.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fapatalk

My girlfriend is Czech so I am over four or five times a year visiting her family. They are not in Prague but we have friends there and we visit them quite often.

Ah okay cool, I been in Prague for the majority of my stay here so far, need to see a bit more of the country. Hopefully going to Cesky Krumlov for the weekend in a few weeks, heard good things about the city.

Ah okay cool, I been in Prague for the majority of my stay here so far, need to see a bit more of the country. Hopefully going to Cesky Krumlov for the weekend in a few weeks, heard good things about the city.

Cesky Krumlov is beautiful.

Never, hated football when i was a kid and most the the Jocks that played it. I was more the aspiring hippy type that also played rugby!

Then in uni i only played as more of a Bob Marley style of football.

Div 1 five a side in Melbourne. Generally in defence. We're struggling this season, div 2 is more our level. Average age in our squad of 8 is 33 and when we're up against lads in their 20's it's evident that we're less agile.

I manage 2 kids teams, my eldest son U14's and my youngest son U7's I'm also Youth vice chairman for my hometown team. It takes alot of my time, but has alot of enjoyable moments. The highlight being taking 3 teams on a football tour to Holland two years ago. Proud to say myself and the then youth chairman put everything in place to get our local club Charter Standard accreditation which has raised the bar on childrens football development.

I play 6 a side on a Monday and have a kick about with a few of the lads on a Friday night. I also Coach an under 11's football team.

Mumorn, who did you play semi pro for?
I started at Barnet ( I'm a Barnet boy ) had trials at Leyton Orient, Southampton and Chelsea ( when they were **** ) and played semi pro here and in Malaysia and Australia, be interested to here your experiences, if you had a trial at the bees in 2011 your considerably younger than me,

Mumorn, who did you play semi pro for?
I started at Barnet ( I'm a Barnet boy ) had trials at Leyton Orient, Southampton and Chelsea ( when they were **** ) and played semi pro here and in Malaysia and Australia, be interested to here your experiences, if you had a trial at the bees in 2011 your considerably younger than me,
Posted that by accident before I was finished.
I packed up 10 years ago when my knees did, just wondering how the semi pro stuff is now, when I played in the UK it was filthy but a completely different game in Malaysia and Australia, anyway I'd be interested to here about your experiences.

amateur level in this country is disgraceful, I was a keeper and got beaten up every week

can't comment on semi pro level as I wasn't good enough for that

I'm considering giving vets a go now but not sure it won't just be more of the same

amateur level in this country is disgraceful, I was a keeper and got beaten up every week

can't comment on semi pro level as I wasn't good enough for that

I'm considering giving vets a go now but not sure it won't just be more of the same

Mentioned in this thread before I was an 11-a-side keeper and had to put up a pretence of being a bit mental (nothing could be further from the truth), otherwise, as when I first started playing, I was battered to bits at set pieces into the box, 50-50 one-on-ones etc.

I remember clearly one time, long ball into the box, opposition striker chasing, gathered it up with the striker at least 12 yards away. He continued his 'run', slid in and two-footed studded up straight into my ankle. Had the ****ing nerve to get up, call me a 'play-acting ****' and protest innocence to the ref.

plenty of cnuts like that around sadly, I was playing against a bbc team once and took a low cross into my body, didn't stop one of theirs booting me in the back of the head and telling the ref the ball was there to be won

plenty of cnuts like that around sadly, I was playing against a bbc team once and took a low cross into my body, didn't stop one of theirs booting me in the back of the head and telling the ref the ball was there to be won
I had my ACL done by some clogger when I was 17, decided he'd put one on the youngster, welcome me to the game. I didn't play for 2 years after that, I was devastated and the **** in question didn't even get a booking.
I was never quite the same again and am now waiting for a knee replacement.

ive played as a ringer a few times for a local amateur club. and my experience is the same as the posters above. its absolutely incomparable to my experiences when playing school football (up to 18 years old) and university football.

some of the players that play in these leagues are crazy. i would advise anyone that hasn't played in england before to just watch out and be careful.

i think the problems stem from the refereeing tbh. the refs just never want to hand out any cards. and seem to have the howard webb attitude of "if i can diffuse a situation, then there's no need to book players, and i've done well to keep all 22 players on the pitch (regardless of what the actual rules)". and because of this, players get away with murder. having said this, i do feel for the refs. i wouldn't be surprised if some of them are scared to book players. i know i certainly would be.

* i've probably played 10 or so games in the past 18 months in the regional district league and i've never seen even a yellow card handed out in this time.

Last edited:
I had my ACL done by some clogger when I was 17, decided he'd put one on the youngster, welcome me to the game. I didn't play for 2 years after that, I was devastated and the **** in question didn't even get a booking.
I was never quite the same again and am now waiting for a knee replacement.

That's awful mate, sorry to hear that.

ive played as a ringer a few times for a local amateur club. and my experience is the same as the posters above. its absolutely incomparable to my experiences when playing school football (up to 18 years old) and university football.

some of the players that play in these leagues are crazy. i would advise anyone that hasn't played in england before to just watch out and be careful.

i think the problems stem from the refereeing tbh. the refs just never want to hand out any cards. and seem to have the howard webb attitude of "if i can diffuse a situation, then there's no need to book players, and i've done well to keep all 22 players on the pitch (regardless of what the actual rules)". and because of this, players get away with murder. having said this, i do feel for the refs. i wouldn't be surprised if some of them are scared to book players. i know i certainly would be.

* i've probably played 10 or so games in the past 18 months in the regional district league and i've never seen even a yellow card handed out in this time.

Maybe that was just the leagues you were playing in. I saw plenty of cards shown when I was playing Sunday league.

The amount of abuse and intimidation that refs get from players and supporters though is unreal and I could understand if one wanted to try and keep the peace. I've filled in as a ref a couple of times in Sunday league games and found it incredibly stressful and not very enjoyable.

Back