• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

GG posters who play or coach

One other bit of training advice...I'd take a few yoga classes to get into decent stretching/flexibility, but most of all, make sure that if you really want to get into some sort of shape you do light weight training, nothing major, light weights, high reps and keep your quads, calves, hamstrings in good nick via the machines...it reallydoes make a diff if you have any age on to at all! I'm 45...I need every ounce of help I can get...

One other bit of training advice...I'd take a few yoga classes to get into decent stretching/flexibility, but most of all, make sure that if you really want to get into some sort of shape you do light weight training, nothing major, light weights, high reps and keep your quads, calves, hamstrings in good nick via the machines...it reallydoes make a diff if you have any age on to at all! I'm 45...I need every ounce of help I can get...

Steff YOURE 45? I was under the impression youre like in your twenties.

Steff- Always wanted to try a bit of yoga, never got round to it though...

Played again yesterday, less people so there was much more space to be working with and was generally happy with how I played. Keeping the passing simple apart from a few through balls when was needed. I did find myself allowing the striker to drift goalside though, bad habit that I need to get out of.

After two weeks of playing football and regularly going for runs my stamina is much improved, hopefully I can continue on this path as I felt very comfortable playing yesterday and have no major aches and pains this morning. Long may that continue...

With regards to talking - you can also consider the aspect of 'chirping' your opponents which is (in my view) considered low life and scummy. Others however regard upon it as essential aspect of the mental war. Your choice

With regards to talking - you can also consider the aspect of 'chirping' your opponents which is (in my view) considered low life and scummy. Others however regard upon it as essential aspect of the mental war. Your choice
I do it all the time - give them nicknames etc. It's a bit like 'sledging' in cricket; something that is quite enjoyable and can help you distract someone. Off the ball I always make a point of shoving the nearest player around a bit just to disrupt their game and focus more on myself rather than the ball and their teammates.

Steff YOURE 45? I was under the impression youre like in your twenties.

You love!!!

Nah mate, auld(ish) fecker...Wembley veteran of 81/82 and proud attendee of 84 Uefa Cup Final 2nd Leg...a lot of games between too, and a lot thereafter...

Yes mate, 45!!!!

I'm awful in the sense that I bark at my co-defenders 'he's looking inside, cut him off' knowing full well it deals him a couple of seconds longer...I'm also really big on geeing my teammates up, lots of 'good stuff let's keep it going boys!' and if someone has a dire miss, shout at them that it's all good, they were there to miss it, next time, got them on the ropes, etc, etc'...

My biggest thing when I was coaching, and still when playing, is to impress upon everyone the need for simply, crisp, concise football for much of the time, for forwards to constantly move and drift off their markers, and for people to NOT be afraid to switch the play quickly; something I have sadly learnt most people cannot do, as most people cannot play a 30-40 yard cross field pass with any degree of accuracy...

I love playing still, even though I wish I was fitter myself!!!

Started off as a right back now i'm a right footed left winger. I used to be a sprinter in school so i use my pace and trickery to beat people. My big problem though is lack of fitness. After a surging run i'm pretty much out of the game for the next few mins. So i've had to play smarter to allow myself to track back and defend. So lately i'v tended to be less attacking and more supportive of my full back. It's pretty annoying but for the life of me i simply can't find the time to do cardio work to get my fitness up.

I play in a Saturday Morning league which is actually affiliated to a church system where the rep and captain have to be church goers. Been playing in the league for 10 years now - 7 years for one team and 3 years for my current one and the league has got so much stronger in that time. I am primarily a Right Back but can play centre half or Right Midfield. Pace and reading off the game was always a strong point which has always kept me in good stead in any of those positions although the fitness levels have dropped a bit over the years due to age and lifestyle etc but still in reasonably good shape.

Im not at all religious but having that sort of influence within the league means generally the game is played in the correct spirit with virtually no stupidity apart from the odd incident. Pretty decent standard overall with a number of players who have played at a high level of non league playing in the system due to all the matches being played in the same part of Wanstead Flats every saturday.

So even an away game is in the same place which makes it easy for all of those players in the different teams who have to get to Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea afterwards as is the case in my squad. We have literally just clinched the title with 5 games to go after a fantastic run which saw us lose our first and only game so far in late February. We have 17 teams in the league and after everyone has played eachother once the league splits in half with the top 9 playing in one and the bottom 8 in another with the Cup thrown in for good measure. 24 league games with 5 cup games if you go all the way makes for a quite nice and lengthy season.

Anyone possibly interested in playing and living in North/East London or Essex should have a look at the league website - teams around this time of the year are always looking for players to bolster their squads in the summer ready for the new campaign although it seems as though the website is currently down. www.idcfl.co.uk/

I used to play for Queens Park community school. Played defensive midfield throughout my playing time there (around 3 years). Our biggest rivals were Wilesden High who were captained by future spurs right back Phil Ifil (he played Centre mid back then though). Our boss used to get us to target him whenever we played as physically he wasn't very strong back then. He was a terrific player though who was always destined for some sort of football related career. Won the Brent cup once and were seen as one of the better teams in Brent borough.

Just come back from my game, we won 5-0! I played centre-back again, so I'm over the moon with the clean sheet. anyone else had a game today? Always nice to play in the sunshine and get the tan started!

Lost 4-3 yesterday in a friendly, in a purely selfish way I'm pleased with my performance and my fitness levels are improving massively ! Fook the rest of the team :D

Who out there is playing regularly, which position do you play, how are your team doing this season?

Re: GG posters who play football

I play 5's every week, mostly in nets. It's a friendly league and the players get mixed up depending on who's available so we don't keep count.

Play 11s for my company 4/5 times a year, again in goal. 2 and 2 last year.

I play 5s once a week and we are doing very well in the league.

Play Saturday football for a side in the amateur combination I change between 1st team and 2nd team 1st doing very well 2nd not so much.

I'm a centre half and always have been love playing Saturdays but all this rain has seen my side not play since 14 of December.

Amateur combination is a huge league with a good amount of clubs and 26 divs split between North and South London and surrounding .

I don't play but I manage an U10s team. Got my Youth Module 1 next month which i'm looking forward to and on Tuesday the FA are sending Marianne Spacey (Ex England) to the club to take two 1 hour training sessions to promote the Youth Module 1.

I'm knackered but working with the physio to sort myself out. Hopefully I'll be playing again in the summer, if my knee goes again then it's likely time for surgery

Had trials with Barnet and Charlton. Used to play semi professionally but only really play occasionally now as a central midfielder.

Back