• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

George Galloway/Israel/Palestine

And with regards to funding, the same oil rich neighbours are happy to do business with Israel as well. Qatar being an obvious name. They are happy to entertain the leader of a terrorist organisation, Hamas, in a protected community in the country and equally as happy to do business with Israel in other areas. War makes money.

Many of these Islamic terror groups seem to have a prominent feature in common. They were created, trained and received much funding from the good ol' US of A.

I would like to see evidence and fact rather than an emotion based accusation about who is funding extremists

Can you point out where anyone in this discussion has sent out a Pro-Hamas message? Also, I have seen on various sites which lean towards 'pro-Palestine' that they are equally condemning the quite frankly disgusting atrocities that ISIS and other militant organisations are committing on a daily basis. The numbers of the dead and the manner in which they are being executed is truly shocking.

I'm not sure any point has been missed? This is a discussion about Israel/Palestine. It's not a competition to gauge who is the least barbaric in their actions, which I find a lot of Pro-Israel supporters attempt to bring the fore with this issue.

Well put my friend. A classic example of 'whataboutery' - i.e. where you attempt to deflect attention from one atrocity or injustice (e.g. Israel's crimes) by drawing attention to another (such as the atrocities committed by ISIS or by Assad's forces in Syria, which no right minded human being would ever do anything but condemn). As you have noted, it's a tactic that seems to find particular favour among Israel's apologists.

In any event, there's actually a rather simple answer as to why people will choose to march in protest against Israel's misdeeds than say, those of ISIS. As has already been pointed out, the governments of the countries where such marches tend to occur (such as Britain and the US) are complicit in Israel's crimes, to the extent that they are the ones responsible for arming Israel and generally refusing to acknowledge the extent of its crimes against the Palestinians (much less consider any sanctions against it). By marching on these governments, the hope is that one may be able to effect some change in their lopsided approach towards Israel. There'd be little point in marching against ISIS or Al Quaeda in say, London, given that the UK government already absolutely condemns the crimes of those organisations and provides no support to them. What would we be marching to change exactly?

As for the laughable and oft repeated sound bite cooked up by its PR machine, that Israel is "the only democracy in the middle east", when you confer rights selectively, based on a person's ethnic background, you are not a democracy but an ethnocracy (for a recent example of such see apartheid South Africa).

Well put my friend. A classic example of 'whataboutery' - i.e. where you attempt to deflect attention from one atrocity or injustice (e.g. Israel's crimes) by drawing attention to another (such as the atrocities committed by ISIS or by Assad's forces in Syria, which no right minded human being would ever do anything but condemn). As you have noted, it's a tactic that seems to find particular favour among Israel's apologists.

In any event, there's actually a rather simple answer as to why people will choose to march in protest against Israel's misdeeds than say, those of ISIS. As has already been pointed out, the governments of the countries where such marches tend to occur (such as Britain and the US) are complicit in Israel's crimes, to the extent that they are the ones responsible for arming Israel and generally refusing to acknowledge the extent of its crimes against the Palestinians (much less consider any sanctions against it). By marching on these governments, the hope is that one may be able to effect some change in their lopsided approach towards Israel. There'd be little point in marching against ISIS or Al Quaeda in say, London, given that the UK government already absolutely condemns the crimes of those organisations and provides no support to them. What would we be marching to change exactly?

As for the laughable and oft repeated sound bite cooked up by its PR machine, that Israel is "the only democracy in the middle east", when you confer rights selectively, based on a person's ethnic background, you are not a democracy but an ethnocracy (for a recent example of such see apartheid South Africa).

What I am about to say/ask has nothing to do with my beliefs about what is currently happening (needless to say I find the Israeli gvnmt's responses to have been tragically wrong and I also find Hamas' behaviour absolutely deplorable - there are no good guys) but what I find even more disturbing is how this issue has been used to polarize people to the point they will say something like you have, in bold. I am shocked mate. IF people REALLY cared about Palestinians, or indeed ANY suffering Middle Eastern people, they would try to lobby for changes which offer them an ALTERNATIVE to protection-by-extremists. And to simply focus your anger on one lot because the other lot 'won't listen' is, IMO, just not good enough. I could go on and on, needless to say I likely will at some point.

As for Israel being an 'apartheid state' I'm just waiting for one really good, solid definition of how that plays out. I believe (and do correct me if I'm wrong - it's possible of course!) that Israel has (depending on your source) anywhere from 1.5 to 2 million Palestinians living in the West bank. I'm not sure that supports them being an 'apartheid state' unless those numbers are not given the same rights/have to use different facilities in public areas, etc, etc.

I understand the anger at what the government has done in hitting civilian targets, and i think it's a deplorable and tragic series of responses, but we must strive to see this situation from ALL angles and, IMO, avoid using 'easy' 'flash' terminology which most-likely does not stand up to even the slightest scrutiny when taken out of it's hot-lit centre-stage place (again I'm happy to be proven wrong)…

In the spirit of discussion and genuine debate (which I think is important here)...

Can you point out where anyone in this discussion has sent out a Pro-Hamas message? Also, I have seen on various sites which lean towards 'pro-Palestine' that they are equally condemning the quite frankly disgusting atrocities that ISIS and other militant organisations are committing on a daily basis. The numbers of the dead and the manner in which they are being executed is truly shocking.

I'm not sure any point has been missed? This is a discussion about Israel/Palestine. It's not a competition to gauge who is the least barbaric in their actions, which I find a lot of Pro-Whatever-Side-They-'Support' supporters attempt to bring the fore with this issue.

Fixed ;)

What I am about to say/ask has nothing to do with my beliefs about what is currently happening (needless to say I find the Israeli gvnmt's responses to have been tragically wrong and I also find Hamas' behaviour absolutely deplorable - there are no good guys) but what I find even more disturbing is how this issue has been used to polarize people to the point they will say something like you have, in bold. I am shocked mate. IF people REALLY cared about Palestinians, or indeed ANY suffering Middle Eastern people, they would try to lobby for changes which offer them an ALTERNATIVE to protection-by-extremists. And to simply focus your anger on one lot because the other lot 'won't listen' is, IMO, just not good enough. I could go on and on, needless to say I likely will at some point.

I'll be honest, I'm actually not sure which particular part of that quote you found shocking. Please do believe me though when I say that I did not intend to offend anyone, but as I acknowledged in my first post, this is an emotionally charged issue on which you will find deeply entrenched views on both sides of the divide (and I've been pretty clear that my own view, based on my knowledge and understanding, is that the root cause of the conflict is Israel's on-going mistreatment and abuses of the Palestinian population). Accordingly, any discussion on the subject can (and more often than not does) lead to heated debate which in turn results in somebody taking offence (even if offence was not intended). It's the reason, as I have said previously, that I tend to avoid getting involved in such discussions and in hindsight, perhaps it would have been wise to have kept to this policy!

I would however, appreciate it if you would allow me to clarify some matters. I am not sure that I have said anything on this thread which could be interpreted as being supportive of Hamas, much less that I regard them as the 'good guys'. To be clear, I absolutely do not and if I have created that impression, I can assure you that it was entirely unintended. The point I have tried to make regarding Hamas (and I have evidently not expressed myself clearly enough on this), is that they are only relevant because of Israel's on-going abuses (the illegal occupation and other actions, measures and policies that I have described previously) against the Palestinian population. Hence my earlier description of Hamas as being a symptom rather than the cause.

If you somehow got rid of Hamas today, without addressing Israel's continued transgressions, then all that would mean is that you have left a vacuum which another (potentially even more extreme) version of 'Hamas' could fill. In other words, in such a scenario, the breeding conditions for another like group to form will remain in situ, and such an eventuality would likely therefore not achieve anything beneficial for the civilians on either side (and may even create an even more volatile and deadly situation than exists presently).

As for Israel being an 'apartheid state' I'm just waiting for one really good, solid definition of how that plays out. I believe (and do correct me if I'm wrong - it's possible of course!) that Israel has (depending on your source) anywhere from 1.5 to 2 million Palestinians living in the West bank. I'm not sure that supports them being an 'apartheid state' unless those numbers are not given the same rights/have to use different facilities in public areas, etc, etc.

I understand the anger at what the government has done in hitting civilian targets, and i think it's a deplorable and tragic series of responses, but we must strive to see this situation from ALL angles and, IMO, avoid using 'easy' 'flash' terminology which most-likely does not stand up to even the slightest scrutiny when taken out of it's hot-lit centre-stage place (again I'm happy to be proven wrong)…

In the spirit of discussion and genuine debate (which I think is important here)...

Again I have in previous posts set out the many ways in which Israel (which for all intents and purposes is the controlling force in Gaza and the West Bank), deprives the Palestinian population of many of the same rights and liberties that the citizens of Israel enjoy (I will not state them all again but let's just take unfettered access to water and food as an example). In my view, if you deprive one group of people the same rights that you confer on another group, that falls squarely within the definition of apartheid state. However, I cannot of course deny that there are many who vehemently argue against this assertion - again, deeply entrenched view on both sides! You have my view, based on my own research, understanding (and to a certain degree, personal experience) but as I have said previously, anybody with the will to do so, is more than capable of doing their own research and forming their own views on the matter.

Last edited:
Replies embedded within, boldfaced for easier reference mate…
[
QUOTE=ShelfLife;589219]I'll be honest, I'm actually not sure which particular part of that quote you found shocking. Please do believe me though when I say that I did not intend to offend anyone, but as I acknowledged in my first post, this is an emotionally charged issue on which you will find deeply entrenched views on both sides of the divide (and I've been pretty clear that my own view, based on my knowledge and understanding, is that the root cause of the conflict is Israel's on-going mistreatment and abuses of the Palestinian population). Accordingly, any discussion on the subject can (and more often than not does) lead to heated debate which in turn results in somebody taking offence (even if offence was not intended). It's the reason, as I have said previously, that I tend to avoid getting involved in such discussions and in hindsight, perhaps it would have been wise to have kept to this policy!

No no, discussion and exchange is great. I wasn't necessarily 'offended' by anything you personally said (you appear a measured and thoughtful poster on these matters TBH) what I was referring to was much more the attitude that there was little point in demonstrating against one lot because nothing can come of it, whereas perhaps demonstrating against the other lot would yield 'a' result. I would personally prefer that there were clear demonstrations against the extremes of both sides. But that is, I understand, fast-becoming idealist thinking.

I would however, appreciate it if you would allow me to clarify some matters. I am not sure that I have said anything on this thread which could be interpreted as being supportive of Hamas, much less that I regard them as the 'good guys'.

I feel you have chosen to take that specific reference far too much to personal heart - it was a general comment designed to encapsulate a growing feeling I'm seeing that one side is the cause of everything thus, by default, leaving a 'good' lot. Perhaps I could've used a better choice of words, although some people I've discussed the issue with have actually said to me that 'it's important to support the people and worry about Hamas later' which, to me, is both ludicrous and cruel as supporting the people would surely mean offering them alternatives to having extremists 'govern' them.

To be clear, I absolutely do not and if I have created that impression, I can assure you that it was entirely unintended. The point I have tried to make regarding Hamas (and I have evidently not expressed myself clearly enough on this), is that they are only relevant because of Israel's on-going abuses (the illegal occupation and other actions, measures and policies that I have described previously) against the Palestinian population. Hence my earlier description of Hamas as being a symptom rather than the cause.

We are in agreement to an extent. I would say that Hamas exist thanks to the west's systematic abuse of the Middle East for decade upon decade. Personally, I feel the beginning of this latest raft of poverty-inducing ****wittery began in the '50s in Persia with the US/UK regime-change that saw Mossadegh removed and replaced by the Shah, before HE was dumped in the 70s in favor of…Saddam. Add Afghanistan into the mix, and there's enough right there to leave desperate people clawing for any shred of hope from the first people to offer it, in this case, sadly, extremists.

If you somehow got rid of Hamas today, without addressing Israel's continued transgressions, then all that would mean is that you have left a vacuum which another (potentially even more extreme) version of 'Hamas' could fill. In other words, in such a scenario, the breeding conditions for another like group to form will remain in situ, and such an eventuality would likely therefore not achieve anything beneficial for the civilians on either side (and may even create an even more volatile and deadly situation than exists presently).

I can guarantee you that this will be the net result right now unless something drastic takes place. It has been a fear of mine for a long time.

Again I have in previous posts set out the many ways in which Israel (which for all intents and purposes is the controlling force in Gaza and the West Bank), deprives the Palestinian population of many of the same rights and liberties that the citizens of Israel enjoy (I will not state them all again but let's just take unfettered access to water and food as an example). In my view, if you deprive one group of people the same rights that you confer on another group, that falls squarely within the definition of apartheid state. However, I cannot of course deny that there are many who vehemently argue against this assertion - again, deeply entrenched view on both sides! You have my view, based on my own research, understanding (and to a certain degree, personal experience) but as I have said previously, anybody with the will to do so, is more than capable of doing their own research and forming their own views on the matter.

Whilst I can put myself in your shoes to see your perspective, I do feel it lacks both detail and context which quickly remove the accuracy of using the word 'apartheid'…I think 'oppressive' is a far better term if you're looking for one. You have to acknowledge that there is an approximately 20% Arab population in Israel which is fully integrated and has the same rights as any Israeli. There is obviously much more to say on all sides of the coin, but forgive me if I stop there for now…

[/QUOTE]

what I was referring to was much more the attitude that there was little point in demonstrating against one lot because nothing can come of it, whereas perhaps demonstrating against the other lot would yield 'a' result. I would personally prefer that there were clear demonstrations against the extremes of both sides. But that is, I understand, fast-becoming idealist thinking.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. However, I do rather think that you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was actually responding to an earlier poster who was angrily querying why there have been so many 'protests' (by which I assumed he was referring to the recent marches) in respect of Israel's action in Gaza, but none against other recent atrocities, specifically mentioning those which have been committed by ISIS. My response on this specific point was that ISIS is already wholly condemned by most, if not all governments, including the British Government. Unlike its relationship with Israel therefore, the British Government does not support or legitimise ISIS in any way. Indeed, according to today's news, it's doing the exact opposite and is following suit on the USA by sending military aid to the Kurds and Yazidis in Iraq. Marching on the British Government in regards to ISIS would therefore, effectively amount to preaching to the choir. I hope this clarifies my intended meaning.

I feel you have chosen to take that specific reference far too much to personal heart - it was a general comment designed to encapsulate a growing feeling I'm seeing that one side is the cause of everything thus, by default, leaving a 'good' lot.

Again, thanks for clarifying.

Whilst I can put myself in your shoes to see your perspective, I do feel it lacks both detail and context which quickly remove the accuracy of using the word 'apartheid'…I think 'oppressive' is a far better term if you're looking for one. You have to acknowledge that there is an approximately 20% Arab population in Israel which is fully integrated and has the same rights as any Israeli. There is obviously much more to say on all sides of the coin, but forgive me if I stop there for now…

I understand that this concept in particular can appear somewhat unpalatable, even for some who are otherwise critical of Israel. However my own view remains that, in view of the two-tiered system of privilege and favouritism towards Jews, including in the main state of Israel (which I'll address in a bit more detail below) the term very much fits.

Dealing firstly with those who live under Israel's military occupation; you have the denial of basic rights and/or intolerable living conditions which closely resemble those which existed in South Africa. I am conscious of the need to avoid repetition in regards to the discriminatory measures that Israel has imposed on this particular part of the populous (i.e the occupied Palestinians), so I will just add to what I have said previously by pointing out that this group also does not have the right to vote for the Israeli government, even though it effectively controls their lives.

As to the segment of the general Israeli population which is comprised of Israeli-Palestinians (or Arabs), whilst it would be true to say that they generally enjoy a better standard of living than their brethren in Gaza and the West Bank, I would have to respectfully take issue with your assertion that they are "fully integrated". Israel describes itself as the 'Jewish State'. This self-identification goes beyond a mere label. According to the Israeli Human Rights organisation, Adalah (http://adalah.org/eng/), there are around 50 state laws which directly discriminate against the minority Palestinian population, or indirectly so (by giving special privileges to the Jewish majority).

For example;

- Israel's 'Law of Return' expressly applies to Jews only (and therefore by definition, excludes the Arab minority);

- Palestinians are unable by law to marry any Jewish citizen and are also expressly prohibited from bringing spouses who reside in the Occupied Territories into the main state of Israel whilst Jewish citizens are free to move between the main state of Israel and the Occupied Territories at they please;

- Around 90 percent of the towns and settlements within Israel are classified as 'Jewish communities', the majority of which, the Arab minority are legally barred from living within (and conversely the Government has not authorised the construction of a single new Arab town since 1948).

As well as the slanted legal system, there is also discrimination in the general treatment the Palestinian minority in matters such as education and employment opportunities.

I'll finish this post by pasting a quote from a report relating to a study undertaken by human rights experts which was commissioned by the South African Government in 2008, the stated aim of which was to examine if Israel was practicing apartheid under the standards of international law (the particular focus of the study was the treatment of Palestinians in the Occupied Territories). The report concluded:

“Israel, since 1967, is the belligerent Occupying Power in occupied Palestinian territory, and that its occupation of these territories has become a colonial enterprise which implements a system of apartheid.”

I'm going to leave it there for now, but if you are interested, I'd be happy to elaborate when I have more time.

Last edited:
No thanks, you've made your viewpoint clear. I disagree with the use of 'apartheid' in this situation; if we are to accept your definition, then we should start to levy the term at many countries with regards to their treatment of a specific ethnic neighbor/member of their population. We might start to wonder about the Middle Eastern countries who themselves operate a, shall we say, low tolerance of Israelis in their lands. Syria…Lebanon…Saudi Arabia…all far far closer to the terms of the word I'd wager.

I must also (with equal respect) point out that Palestinian Arabs in Israel have citizenship, the right to vote, are on the Israeli version of the supreme court whilst also retaining their own heritage. I could go on. I think we might both agree that Rabin was on a great progressive track in continuing the seemless integration of Palestinian Arabs, but alas he isn't steering the ship now so it doesn't really matter today.

Again, if someone wishes to refer to 'oppression' I can accept that in a sense (even though I don't agree wholeheartedly) but I simply do not think the term 'apartheid' can fit. It's similar to the 'war on terror', something that by the very nature of it's definition is an impossibility unless we decide to redefine what 'war' is.

I think it's also worth looking at how this situation came to be at all. The Jews were given Israel by us. We generously decided to carve it out for them, in the process making sure that every people in the region simply had to step aside and put up with it. I'd say this was the start of it all, enormously terrible planning. We gave them this place, and before they'd even had time to have the movers position the three-piece suite, the neighbors were outside with pitchforks telling them to '**** off'; no chance of an afternoon-tea neighbor social there sadly! Too late! And if we're really honest, we continue to support Israel because they're of use to us in the region, we can use them as a pivot point of observation to overlook/maintain a foothold in the region. We have single-handedly ****ed them, the Palestinian people and the Iraqi people just for kick-off, that's before we get into Afghanistan and the like. Thus right now, I see two very very desperate entities fighting for survival whilst their paymasters sit back and hedge their bets this way and that. Qatar could pull funding easily. The US government could pull Israel funding easily too. That neither hasn't should be proof enough that we are witnessing two stooges being used AGAIN, and disgracefully, thousands of innocent people become the cannon-fodder.

Trust me, given my Persian history, no-one feels stronger about the rights of Middle Eastern people to be heard as I do…but equally, I feel people have to try and understand Israel's perspective as otherwise, we will get no closer to peace whatsoever...

More to say but have to go…

p.s. Just to say, again, I have enjoyed this discussion, one of the better ones I've been part of on the internet with regards to this very very sad topic.

No thanks, you've made your viewpoint clear. I disagree with the use of 'apartheid' in this situation; if we are to accept your definition, then we should start to levy the term at many countries with regards to their treatment of a specific ethnic neighbor/member of their population. We might start to wonder about the Middle Eastern countries who themselves operate a, shall we say, low tolerance of Israelis in their lands. Syria…Lebanon…Saudi Arabia…all far far closer to the terms of the word I'd wager.

I must also (with equal respect) point out that Palestinian Arabs in Israel have citizenship, the right to vote, are on the Israeli version of the supreme court whilst also retaining their own heritage. I could go on. I think we might both agree that Rabin was on a great progressive track in continuing the seemless integration of Palestinian Arabs, but alas he isn't steering the ship now so it doesn't really matter today.

Again, if someone wishes to refer to 'oppression' I can accept that in a sense (even though I don't agree wholeheartedly) but I simply do not think the term 'apartheid' can fit. It's similar to the 'war on terror', something that by the very nature of it's definition is an impossibility unless we decide to redefine what 'war' is.

You certainly make your point very well my friend. It's been a pleasure reading your contributions on this subject and I'm not ashamed to say that I've actually learned a few things whilst doing so. I won't push the 'apartheid point' much further, but allow me to just make a few additional points. You're correct that Israeli Arabs have citizenship but Israel is I believe, the only country in the world to distinguish between citizenship and nationality. A feature that human rights experts (including Israeli Jews) in the region have, thus far unsuccessfully, sought to challenge (on more than one occasion) on the basis that this patently discriminates against the non-Jewish citizens of the state. As Israel identifies itself as a Jewish State, we have this absurd situation where the state, whilst recognising many other nationalities (as many Israelis have dual nationalities), actually refuses to recognise the one nationality it's supposed represent (i.e. its own!) when it comes to its non-Jewish citizens.

I believe there is just a single Arab who sits on the Supreme Court (an Arab Christian I think) but may be wrong on this. Considering that Arabs make up 20% of the main population, this is long way short or representative of that population. The same pattern of representation exists in respect of the other more prestigious positions within Israel and within its civil service. I would argue that having a few (effectively) token Arabs in such positions, is not sufficient in itself, to defeat the notion of an apartheid state. Particularly when weighed against the treatment of the wider Arab population, most notably of course (and I apologise for repeating myself) the appalling abuse and denial of rights of those in Gaza/West Bank/Occupied Territories. However, I guess we can agree to disagree on this.

I hear what you say about other regimes in the Arab world, and you certainly won't see me busting a gut to defend those. I'm not sure however (though I'm happy to be corrected), that Saudi's treatment of Israeli citizens is in any way comparable to Israel's towards Palestinians (again, particularly focussing on the Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank). From my knowledge, the relatively few Israelis that do reside in the country are extended the same rights as other foreign nationals/workers and from what I hear, there's a pretty onerous criteria to meet if one seeks to become a fully fledged Saudi citizen - regardless of nationality. I do not have much knowledge about the treatment of Jews in Syria and Libya so will refrain from commenting on this, but again, if they are indeed subjected to the same level of abuses and denial of rights as the majority of Palestinians (though I have to say that this is not something that I have previously heard to be the case), then you may well have a point.

I do agree with you to a point regarding Rabin. Perhaps things would have been markedly different had he not been assassinated, though sadly we'll never know for sure. On a (slightly) side note, I do think Rabin's hand was forced (in signing up to the Oslo Accords) by foreign pressure, once the PLO agreed to recognise Israel's right to exist and to lay down its arms, in exchange for Israel relinquishing its control over the Occupied Territories and agreeing to allow the Palestinians in these regions to self-govern. It's notable of course, that today, Israel rejects a virtually identical peace proposal every time it is put to it by the UN. Also notable is that one of the people that many point to as fanning the flames at the time of Rabin's premiership and possibly inspiring the extremist ideology of his assassin, was one, Benjamin Netanyahu

I think it's also worth looking at how this situation came to be at all. The Jews were given Israel by us. We generously decided to carve it out for them, in the process making sure that every people in the region simply had to step aside and put up with it. I'd say this was the start of it all, enormously terrible planning. We gave them this place, and before they'd even had time to have the movers position the three-piece suite, the neighbors were outside with pitchforks telling them to '**** off'; no chance of an afternoon-tea neighbor social there sadly! Too late! And if we're really honest, we continue to support Israel because they're of use to us in the region, we can use them as a pivot point of observation to overlook/maintain a foothold in the region. We have single-handedly ****ed them, the Palestinian people and the Iraqi people just for kick-off, that's before we get into Afghanistan and the like. Thus right now, I see two very very desperate entities fighting for survival whilst their paymasters sit back and hedge their bets this way and that. Qatar could pull funding easily. The US government could pull Israel funding easily too. That neither hasn't should be proof enough that we are witnessing two stooges being used AGAIN, and disgracefully, thousands of innocent people become the cannon-fodder.

No argument there, and you make a very germane point.

p.s. Just to say, again, I have enjoyed this discussion, one of the better ones I've been part of on the internet with regards to this very very sad topic.

Likewise. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posts.

Last edited:
Absolutely Shelf, I got some great counter-perspective too which can only be helpful. I feel certain we both want the same thing - peace for these people - and here's hoping that somehow it can happen. Again, it's been a pleasure mate...

Absolutely Shelf, I got some great counter-perspective too which can only be helpful. I feel certain we both want the same thing - peace for these people - and here's hoping that somehow it can happen. Again, it's been a pleasure mate...

I too have enjoyed your exchanges, and the others that have participated in this thread as well, especially Scara and elltrev. The bit in bold is how I imagine the vast majority feel. I have to admit, when RC started the thread and I was thinking, 'uh-oh....' (no offence to you RC, great thread just thought it could be a volatile one!) but it has been informative and gives excellent perspectives of varying opinions and viewpoints.

If it wasn't so inappropriate to the discussion I would post a cat picture to really make it an internets winner.

Have to tell you mate, this thread has been the single most civilized I've seen on the whole issue anywhere in intraweb world. A great thing.

Have to tell you mate, this thread has been the single most civilized I've seen on the whole issue anywhere in intraweb world. A great thing.

Spot on! Definitely a good read. I probably come down more on the pro-Palestine side, but there's no right and wrong side, no innocent side, just innocent people in the middle of it all.

For those that identify more on the pro-Israel side:

-What are you thoughts on the settlements? This for me is a big sticking point, and one where I'm yet to see a solid pro-Israel argument being presented in favour of the settlements. I'm pretty close to using the word occupant instead of settler personally. This to me pretty clearly an expansionist policy, attempts to annex lands by changing the culture and religion in those areas. By successfully doing so Israel is at least to some extent "winning", arguably by the only way they can expand.

-What is a reasonable end point to this war? The war, at least the way we traditionally see wars, has been won. Nothing wrong with winning, but I do think continually occupying an area, trying (and succeeding) to shift out the civilians living there to replace them with "your own people" and thus keeping the war going instead of finding peace terms is beyond what should be acceptable. And even clearer it's beyond what should be actively supported by other world powers.

as for why Israel have this hold over us and the US, it's pretty obvious to me, guilt, we stood idly by for half a decade whilst a maniac waged genocide on them, one has to wonder how knowingly as well bearing in mind how early it all started

If guilt played this much of a part in deciding international politics I think we would live in a very different world.

The cynic in me thinks it's quite simply that Israel is a very strong military ally in a region of the world where such allies are very hard to come by for the US. Their ally growing stronger is good for the US, their ally growing weaker is bad for them. A lot of money, resources, manpower, weapons, lives and honor has been wasted trying to secure alliances with outright despicable rulers around the world. In that context Israel is almost somewhat bland, supporting them can at least be intellectually and morally defended.

My simple answer to all of this, and I'd ask you all to think about this before you respond:

If Palestine laid down it's weapons today, there'd be no more war

If Israel laid down it's weapons today, there'd be no Israel tomorrow

Depends on how you use "laid down it's weapons". Sure, if those weapons are destroyed, the entire military might of Israel completely removed and the military support from abroad withdrawn there would be no Israel. It's worth remembering, but it's not likely - nor asked for by anyone I've heard and would consider rational on this subject.

If Israel stopped building new settlements, stopped attacking Palestinian forces and tried seriously to enter into negotiations for a lasting peace with fair borders in a two-state solution Israel would be at absolutely no risk of extinction.

The situation seems entirely locked, as long as the Palestinians are kept in the current situation they will keep doing what they are doing. Israel on the other side seems pretty hell bent on expanding into those occupied territories. If the Palestinians laid down their weapons, would Israel stop their settlements? I'm not convinced about that.

For me one viable solution is for Israel to take a step back from the expansionist policy that seems to me to dictate their actions. Regardless of who started the war the continued attempts at annexation seems unacceptable to me. This seemingly won't happen, and to me the only way to make it happen is to change the way Israel is supported from abroad. That support has to be made contingent on some basic principles, first of all a total stop of any attempts to expand into Palestinian lands - as a starting point. This doesn't mean wiping Israel from the map, not even close. The US keeps a "trip wire force" in South Korea, essentially ensuring that any attack by the North Koreans would put the US directly at war - a war North Korea would have no chance of winning. Similar actions could be taken to support a non-expansionist Israel and the countries surrounding Isreal would similarly have no chance of winning an expansionist war themselves. Weapons can be laid down without rendering them unusable.

Brain Eclipse

If Israel stopped building new settlements, stopped attacking Palestinian forces and tried seriously to enter into negotiations for a lasting peace with fair borders in a two-state solution Israel would be at absolutely no risk of extinction.

The situation seems entirely locked, as long as the Palestinians are kept in the current situation they will keep doing what they are doing. Israel on the other side seems pretty hell bent on expanding into those occupied territories. If the Palestinians laid down their weapons, would Israel stop their settlements? I'm not convinced about that.

For me one viable solution is for Israel to take a step back from the expansionist policy that seems to me to dictate their actions. Regardless of who started the war the continued attempts at annexation seems unacceptable to me. This seemingly won't happen, and to me the only way to make it happen is to change the way Israel is supported from abroad. That support has to be made contingent on some basic principles, first of all a total stop of any attempts to expand into Palestinian lands - as a starting point. This doesn't mean wiping Israel from the map, not even close. The US keeps a "trip wire force" in South Korea, essentially ensuring that any attack by the North Koreans would put the US directly at war - a war North Korea would have no chance of winning. Similar actions could be taken to support a non-expansionist Israel and the countries surrounding Isreal would similarly have no chance of winning an expansionist war themselves. Weapons can be laid down without rendering them unusable.

And in a few paragraphs, you have managed to make the point that I was trying to make (or at least originally set out to make!), but with far more eloquence and brevity than I could muster. Well done sir :)

thfcsteff

Indeed. And at the risk of turning this thread into a right proper love-in, it's shown me that my initial misgivings about joining in were very much misplaced. It's been enlightening. Thank you gents. And here's to a more peaceful tomorrow.

Last edited:
Very happy informative thread

Thanks all.

Agreed.

My thoughts: It's an intractable situation that will continue for the next thousand years.

Israel will always be judged by some, rightly or wrongly, according to First World standards on the way it conducts itself and be criticized accordingly when it doesn't behave in a "civilized" way. But Israel, because of the history of the Jewish people, clearly doesn't give a **** what anyone else thinks, and it clearly wanted to make a statement: If you fire rockets and dig tunnels, we will massacre several thousand of you. Next time it will be multiplied by 10.

Palestinians will always be judged by some, again, rightly or wrongly, according to Third World standards on the way they conduct themselves. I.E. Firing rockets into another state is a perfectly normal thing to do for a child like Third World country. And because of their history, having had their land stolen from under their feet and being shoved into a tiny strip of land that's a prison on all sides, they will just go on firing rockets and digging tunnels.

It will never end.

Regarding George Galloway, I'm certain he converted to Islam many years ago. The clues have always been there, and he'll come out and admit it one day. There is nothing wrong with that. It is not a crime. But it's bound to bias his opinion greatly.

I am pro Palestine on this issue but I think Galloway is a C UNT.

Great thread. I remember participating in the past with Scara and Hootnow. It was always the same debate. This time slightly different. Credit to the articulate and balanced posters.

I don't think it has anything to do with land, nothing to do with occupation. Jihad has been going on in the Middle East for ages now. It's just pure hatred of Jews. If Jews didn't exist it would be someone else. What's the reason to be killing Christians In Iraq? Nothing to do with land. Just hatred. People complicate the situation.

I am a firm believer that both sides just want peace and to live side by side. It's the terrorists that preach hate to kids from a young age. Until that stops they have no hope. Lots of people there are totally brainwashed. Imagine you didn't agree with the regime and walk around Gaza or the West Bank with a banner saying stop suicide bombers, stop using us as human shields. You would get your head chopped off and it will be paraded in the street. People are living in fear, they are oppressed people. Rather than blame the oppressors they are taught that's it's all the Jews fault!

Not really going to get In to this debate, the only thing that I would like to clarify, is the misconception that Muslims some how have some religious/cultural problem with jewish people (see scaras early posts). This is a complete fabrication, while the European continent amongst others were persecuting and killing those of a jewish faith for the 'best part' 2000 years. Muslim lands were welcoming the jewish refugees. From England France Russia and Germany but most notably Spain See specifically the Ottoman Empire. Even in the 20th century, when America was still non comital on the nazis, turkey was fabricating/exaggerating turkish heritage for many jewish citizens of Germany to ensure their safe passage to turkey. Don't take my word for it though read up on history.

Back