• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

You'll always be a LILYWHITE mate :) can't change that its in your blood

But your experience as a fan may well change and not for the best

Well for the first time in decades i will no longer be a ST holder, i would never go and see us become another Chelsea or City.

Well for the first time in decades i will no longer be a ST holder, i would never go and see us become another Chelsea or City.

Yeah and I kind of know where you are coming from. I've been a fan for 30 years, I get to go once a month (though a little less at the moment with a new born on the scene) and to be honest every game is a treat for me, regardless of who we play. I've always thought if we got relegated down to League 1 like Leicester or Coventry then it would still be as enjoyable, well maybe it's true if we got bought out and were in a title race with loads of oil money? Though I do look at City and whilst I don't begrudge their fans the success - they're due a bit of luck in a way - I don't know how much satisfaction they can draw. Compare us and them since 2004 and we have both been on the rise, but our stories are different and ours just seems more genuine.

Bringing it back to Bale I suppose.... One thing I have found being a Spurs fan is that we often have a decent team with one real megastar player who really lifts us. A player who really shouldn't be in a team outside of the top three but they appreciate the way things are done at Tottenham and, while they may not stay and give a career, it almost certainly proves to be a glorious time for them and memorable for the club. Over my lifetime - Hoddle, Waddle, Gascoigne, Lineker, Klinsmann, Ginola, Berbatov, Modric, now Bale. It's just the Tottenham way ;)

I don't think the players or the football writers choose who has been the best player every season. Instead, I think they vote for who has been the most exciting player to watch every season. That's how Ginola won the award in 1999, I think. So, I think Bale has every chance to win it.

Indeed, Ginola won both awards even though Man Utd won the treble

Yeah and I kind of know where you are coming from. I've been a fan for 30 years, I get to go once a month (though a little less at the moment with a new born on the scene) and to be honest every game is a treat for me, regardless of who we play. I've always thought if we got relegated down to League 1 like Leicester or Coventry then it would still be as enjoyable, well maybe it's true if we got bought out and were in a title race with loads of oil money? Though I do look at City and whilst I don't begrudge their fans the success - they're due a bit of luck in a way - I don't know how much satisfaction they can draw. Compare us and them since 2004 and we have both been on the rise, but our stories are different and ours just seems more genuine.

One of my favourite seasons following Spurs was the year after we got relegated, i only missed one game that season and seeing football on the other side was a experience. I would do that again ( if it ever happens) but buying trophies ( like Chelsea and City) would kill it for me.

The title is there next season - I think but it depends on how much Levy wants it and how much we are and can be prepared to pay. I think three top quality players and we can challenge for the title. We need to make signings this summer that shows we mean business.

I dont want us to be so reliant on Bale next season

Yeah, I think we have to spend money on a striker in the summer, A) because we need to upgrade our strikeforce; and B) As a show of intent to players like Bale and Lloris. Our squad really doesn't need too much tinkering, just a striker and a right back IMO.

Indeed, Ginola won both awards even though Man Utd won the treble

It was argued that he won because he was the best of the rest. Manchester United had so many candidates that votes were split between a number of players and so Ginola collected the accolade.

I think Bale will win PFA Player of the Season.

especially those who have no idea how lucky they are, they don't remember the days we'd be sat there hoping that Andy Sinton or Ruel Fox would do something, or all those years when we would worry whether or not Iversen would be fit enough to start

its funny how we all love bale now, but the second he tries to engineer a move you guys will turn on him so fast .....

I will be gutted if the Madrid thing happens but he has always conducted himself superbly. No press badgering, no association with dodgy agents and he signed the new contract to ensure fair market price should the dirty deed happen. In recent years only Berba and Keano fudged me off, and I forgave one of them!

I've been an advocate for Bale as a Striker for about 10 months. I feel the team suffers and loses rhythm when Bale plays inside too much. THFC has been fortunate that he has scored the goals for us in 2013. The fallure to get a striker yet again is amazing and unacceptable by Levy and Co.

Now back to my point as Bale as a striker. 1) There are none quicker, he can finish, and he wants to play inside more than wide these days. 2) the team will have more balance with someone else playing wide. Anyone will stay wide better than Bale has most of the season. 3) giving him a striker role will help keep him around WHL for another season or two. 4) THFC can find several LW players at a reasonable cost before we find a striker/player that can finish for us at a rate Bale has.

I wish we didn't loan out Townsend or reup Rose's loan. I believe the squad would be more consistant with one of them on the wing and Bale in one of the center striker roles.

He has been a joy to watch yet I still find Bale goes missing for periods of the game and more importantly the team looks lost too often.

Lennon, Park, Dem, LW
Holtby
Bale

I've been an advocate for Bale as a Striker for about 10 months. I feel the team suffers and loses rhythm when Bale plays inside too much. THFC has been fortunate that he has scored the goals for us in 2013. The fallure to get a striker yet again is amazing and unacceptable by Levy and Co.

Now back to my point as Bale as a striker. 1) There are none quicker, he can finish, and he wants to play inside more than wide these days. 2) the team will have more balance with someone else playing wide. Anyone will stay wide better than Bale has most of the season. 3) giving him a striker role will help keep him around WHL for another season or two. 4) THFC can find several LW players at a reasonable cost before we find a striker/player that can finish for us at a rate Bale has.

I wish we didn't loan out Townsend or reup Rose's loan. I believe the squad would be more consistant with one of them on the wing and Bale in one of the center striker roles.

He has been a joy to watch yet I still find Bale goes missing for periods of the game and more importantly the team looks lost too often.

Lennon, Park, Dem, LW
Holtby
Bale

I agree. Bale is our best finisher, I believe, and he is getting to Van Pervie like levels of striking ability from anywhere in or outside the box with his left foot. He's much more dangerous now around the area rather than getting crosses in. IMHO, he would play best in a 4-4-2 with someone like Ade for him to feed off flickons and knockdowns. We could play Holtby at LM and go for the Wonky again. Holtby does lots of work in defence too, so it would be like having an insanely gifted Tainio out on the left.

its funny how we all love bale now, but the second he tries to engineer a move you guys will turn on him so fast .....

As long as he is professional on his way out ala Carrick and VDV, then I will wish him all the best. If he behaves like Modric or Berbatov, then he'll lose my respect.

I will be gutted if the Madrid thing happens but he has always conducted himself superbly. No press badgering, no association with dodgy agents and he signed the new contract to ensure fair market price should the dirty deed happen. In recent years only Berba and Keano fudged me off, and I forgave one of them!

short memory again. he did it this summer just gone or close to the end of last season

short memory again. he did it this summer just gone or close to the end of last season

Bale?
No mate.
The only thing I've ever heard him say is that one day he would like to play abroad and it's flattering when clubs like Madrid ask. But 'badgering' the club via the press for a move? No mate. Has not happened.

He was on BBC football focus I think basically saying if we don't get CL then he's gone. Can't remember how long ago that was exactly.

No offence mate but thats a silly statement - its akin to saying... its funny how you love your wife but the minute she cheats on you you will turn on her fast. ERRR HELL fudging YEAH.

You live for today you appreciate today you cant predict whether he will be a **** in the summer or two - if he is yeah I will fudgein turn because its a lack of respect to us fans and the club who nurtured him and helped him become the 50-60m player he is today.

Its not fickle - its called supporting a player... if Bale leaves with graciousness etc then no one will turn on him. Ultimately its not if or when they leave its HOW.

I can't see Bale leaving with graciousness. Levy and AVB won't want to entertain bids for Bale unless they are World Record BIG. If Bale wants to be elsewhere then he'll have to make a big fuss about it.

He was on BBC football focus I think basically saying if we don't get CL then he's gone. Can't remember how long ago that was exactly.

Never saw it.
I will look it up and see if I can find it. Even by what you're saying it's not engineering a move though. Indeed, I thought his quick no-fuss signing of a new deal and schtum in the summer when Modric was off and the club was in relative upheaval was total class. He could've pushed for a move through his agent then, instead some gentlemanly discussions behind closed doors. I know his family and Levy get on very well, they feel Levy made sure he was steered through a very rocky patch of his early Spurs career and are grateful to him for that...

Back