• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

I think it does as their abilities rely on the superior attributes and game of an Eriksen. Dele being a prime example. You need an Eriksen to get the best out of a Dele, given that we don't have an Eriksen the AMs we do have have to do and they don't as evidenced by the last couple of years.

An Eriksen or player of his ilk assuming we don't go down the dual GLC and Ndombele CM roles is vitally important. Otherwise we will always come up against poorer teams that we can't break down and better teams that we can't live with or create against.
Have we had problems breaking down poor teams this season? I feel as though typically we have created a decent number of chances against the poor teams, just not taken those chances and then reverted to Mourinho's wonderful low block in the second half trying to hold on to 1 goal leads?

I think it does as their abilities rely on the superior attributes and game of an Eriksen. Dele being a prime example. You need an Eriksen to get the best out of a Dele, given that we don't have an Eriksen the AMs we do have have to do and they don't as evidenced by the last couple of years.

An Eriksen or player of his ilk assuming we don't go down the dual GLC and Ndombele CM roles is vitally important. Otherwise we will always come up against poorer teams that we can't break down and better teams that we can't live with or create against.

Yep, (if we want to play that way), we need a CM who does a few things -> keep possession, change the tempo (quick passing), can be the guy to assist the assist (see's the runs, short/long passing).

If we have that guy, all of our AM's become more viable, if we don't, they will often not get enough of the ball, we won't have enough possession and we default to relying on counters (which doesn't work if team sits back, and is tough is we are being aggressively pressed)

Have we had problems breaking down poor teams this season? I feel as though typically we have created a decent number of chances against the poor teams, just not taken those chances and then reverted to Mourinho's wonderful low block in the second half trying to hold on to 1 goal leads?

Our shots per game has steadily decreased over the years and the quality of the chances created is much lower. A lot of the goals and chances we do get are self created by either Kane or Son, we haven't created much in the way of team goals for quite a while.

Our shots per game has steadily decreased over the years and the quality of the chances created is much lower. A lot of the goals and chances we do get are self created by either Kane or Son, we haven't created much in the way of team goals for quite a while.
Was that just because Mourinho had us playing low block counter attack though? Under Mason we've been creating chances. My perception (could be wrong) was that we created chances under Jose too when we were drawing games, it's just that after we went 1 up we went into his horrible, small club shape.

We have/do lack the creative player in CM and i am not sure that Tanguy is the answer, i know many will disagree with this but i have kept a good watch on Lo Celso over the last two games and he has impressed with his movement off the ball and those little round the corner passes that Eriksen was so good at. Just to be clear i am not saying he will or is as good as Eriksen who was a special player but IF we can keep him fit i do believe he could be a top player for us.

We have/do lack the creative player in CM and i am not sure that Tanguy is the answer, i know many will disagree with this but i have kept a good watch on Lo Celso over the last two games and he has impressed with his movement off the ball and those little round the corner passes that Eriksen was so good at. Just to be clear i am not saying he will or is as good as Eriksen who was a special player but IF we can keep him fit i do believe he could be a top player for us.

Always said we needed someone with a bit of Eriksen and a bit of lamela.
Guile and dirty, Lo celso is close to it, not as guile as Eriksen and not as dirty as lamela, but he adds something neither have and in the right system could be very good.

I think its a tough call. Bale is a loan, assume zero fee, but £10m say in wages

If we sign a younger guy, say 21-24 years old, we might spend £30m on the fee plus say £5m in wages. However this guy has a re-sale value

Even if only say half that fee is paid up-front, we have a higher outlay in year 1 for the younger guy, when cash is tight.

Bale's impact has been up and down, and people will target his lack of back-tracking, so we'd need to have to work out how to cover it

also obviously need to see whether the new guy plays with wingers. A 3-at-the-back manager wouldnt have the need for Bale
I thought Tanganga's reluctance to commit forward in tandem with Bale's reluctance to track back (he did occasionally to be fair) worked well and look more balanced than usual down that side.

Consistently outperforming Son on the other side now whenever they both play.
There's no way he won't be back here next season.

Son has just been that bad, doesn’t make Bale worth keeping.

In a side that dominates the opposition and retains the ball, Bale could do a job, but we’re terrible at controlling games and Bale is just not interested in chasing back which exposes his side, Son whilst in poor form does at least track back.

I wonder if he has been holding back for the Euros and is scared of missing out? Maybe after the Euros (or once he is there) he will forget about any potential injuries and play a bit more aggressive etc.

Yeah I know its doubtful, but we know the thought of playing in the Euros with Wales is huge for him and maybe he is doing everything to not get injured. Once next season starts he'll probably run around like a mad man first game and do a hamstring

I wonder if he has been holding back for the Euros and is scared of missing out? Maybe after the Euros (or once he is there) he will forget about any potential injuries and play a bit more aggressive etc.

Yeah I know its doubtful, but we know the thought of playing in the Euros with Wales is huge for him and maybe he is doing everything to not get injured. Once next season starts he'll probably run around like a mad man first game and do a hamstring

So we are paying £200k a week for him to tune himself to play in the Euro's.
Fudge that.
Bale and Jose have been like Levy getting his youthful crushes at a school reunion.

Back