• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fraser Forster

Solid backup and think he’s good to have at the club…but I do worry that he’s nothing like Vicario, so any injury there and we’re in trouble. Tough to find a ball playing backup goalkeeper though.

Solid backup and think he’s good to have at the club…but I do worry that he’s nothing like Vicario, so any injury there and we’re in trouble. Tough to find a ball playing backup goalkeeper though.

I'm not sure both of those points can be simultaneously accurate!

Seems a bit of an odd one, I'd rather have a 2nd choice that is either capable of mounting a challenge for the shirt or is at least suited to our game plan. Fraser seems like a good bloke to have around and a consummate professional but not sure he ticks either of the above boxes.

Also, not to be a dingdong about it but if we want to be a successful cup team then he can't be anywhere near penalties, if the opponent gets it on target then it's in because he's so slow to ground.....

If he's third choice and we have some real talent coming through then fair enough but it's not a hugely inspiring choice. Along with CB it's a position where one injury has a massive impact on the way we play.

I'm not sure both of those points can be simultaneously accurate!

Seems a bit of an odd one, I'd rather have a 2nd choice that is either capable of mounting a challenge for the shirt or is at least suited to our game plan. Fraser seems like a good bloke to have around and a consummate professional but not sure he ticks either of the above boxes.

Also, not to be a dingdong about it but if we want to be a successful cup team then he can't be anywhere near penalties, if the opponent gets it on target then it's in because he's so slow to ground.....

If he's third choice and we have some real talent coming through then fair enough but it's not a hugely inspiring choice. Along with CB it's a position where one injury has a massive impact on the way we play.

It's hard

- Young keepers are very rarely any good (consistently)
- Anyone close to Vicario in ability will want playing time (might be more doable in a season with 3 cup runs)
- See Arsenal, you really don't want to be swapping keepers in/out, you have a number 1

I think it's a prioritization issue at this point (i.e. your perspective makes sense, but in the list of priorities we have, just not high enough on the list for now when we can just carry on with Forster for another year)

This summer window -> Dier, Sess, Skipp (loan?), Ndombele (anywhere/how), Lloris, Perisic with questions around Richi, Gil, Veliz (Loan?) & GLC (Gio I think is more up to him), so 9+ potentially out. CB (or two), LB, Winger, Striker required incoming, so 5+ incoming with potentially one or two being expensive/first team challenging. Just don't see backup GK as priority in that .. (and yes, it's a gamble)

It's hard

- Young keepers are very rarely any good (consistently)
- Anyone close to Vicario in ability will want playing time (might be more doable in a season with 3 cup runs)
- See Arsenal, you really don't want to be swapping keepers in/out, you have a number 1

I think it's a prioritization issue at this point (i.e. your perspective makes sense, but in the list of priorities we have, just not high enough on the list for now when we can just carry on with Forster for another year)

This summer window -> Dier, Sess, Skipp (loan?), Ndombele (anywhere/how), Lloris, Perisic with questions around Richi, Gil, Veliz (Loan?) & GLC (Gio I think is more up to him), so 9+ potentially out. CB (or two), LB, Winger, Striker required incoming, so 5+ incoming with potentially one or two being expensive/first team challenging. Just don't see backup GK as priority in that .. (and yes, it's a gamble)

I just hope that prioritization doesn't cost us, I completely appreciate that it's a tricky position to fill and if we go the experience route then it's usually short term because players are older. The way we're going injury wise it seems like one to Vicario is inevitable and most would agree that there's a bit too much of a drop off in quality there. Forward wise I think there's potential for players to step up and GLC is shoving my misgivings right back in my face so midfield looks better, CB and back up for GK would be the highest on my list but I'm not in charge for a reason!

I think they can, because of my last statement. It's hard to find someone that would be more like Vicario.

To get someone to match all of his attributes if sure would be difficult, but I do think a solid back up would be able to replicate at least some of the key strengths in Vic ie quick off the line and comfortable with the ball. Maybe there is a suitable young prospect who does have the potential to step up, that's my hope.

I've been banging this drum for a while but giving Ange the tools he needs to have a competitive squad that doesn't need all the stars to align and the gods to be in our favor in terms of injuries to be able to pull something off. If we start Fraser to keep him fresh in the FA cup this season and we go out due to him I think there's fair reason to be tinkley about that.

I just hope that prioritization doesn't cost us, I completely appreciate that it's a tricky position to fill and if we go the experience route then it's usually short term because players are older. The way we're going injury wise it seems like one to Vicario is inevitable and most would agree that there's a bit too much of a drop off in quality there. Forward wise I think there's potential for players to step up and GLC is shoving my misgivings right back in my face so midfield looks better, CB and back up for GK would be the highest on my list but I'm not in charge for a reason!

To get someone to match all of his attributes if sure would be difficult, but I do think a solid back up would be able to replicate at least some of the key strengths in Vic ie quick off the line and comfortable with the ball. Maybe there is a suitable young prospect who does have the potential to step up, that's my hope.

I've been banging this drum for a while but giving Ange the tools he needs to have a competitive squad that doesn't need all the stars to align and the gods to be in our favor in terms of injuries to be able to pull something off. If we start Fraser to keep him fresh in the FA cup this season and we go out due to him I think there's fair reason to be tinkley about that.

Agree on both ..

He's English, he's a good keeper, not great but good, and he's good around the place. He's also won quite a lot and we're not exactly flush with those sorts. Our young keepers have all been around the squad for a while without really pulling up trees, so best to have some experienced back up for the day we're Hugo-less soon.

Was a bit surprised by the new contract but not overly disappointed. Will hard to get too many people interested when we have the established number 1. I’d imagine one of Whiteman or Austin will be off in the summer. The other as 3rd choice. Could really do with getting anyone younger that we think might be any good out on loan.

Agree with all of the above. Maybe they think one of our other keepers will slot into #2 in the summer.
Maybe Forster is only on £10kpw or something.

Think id rather see Austin, Whiteman or Keeley if Vicario got injured. At least they can get off their line and reach the bottom half of the goal

Back