• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

Chelsea bought Alex from PSV in an outright transfer as far as i remember, about 10 mil

what you suggest does happen though, players are bought by clubs and shipped out to countries with workable Work Permit laws and then brought back to their feeder club once they have te correct paperwork. think Arsenal have a club in Belgium they use this for?

there was a panorama about it approx 5-6 years ago. basically it was a company Wenger had interests in who brought the players over, and then Arsenal were paying themselves a 'transfer fee' to get the player in from the Belgian club they 'had a partnership' with, meaning Wenger was getting a cut of the deals. I don't know if it still exists (the relationship) but I know for a while people were angry because Wenger would dump all these potentially talented kids in Belgium and if they didn't make it, well bye-bye and fudge you...i might have bits of that a bit 'off' so would appreciate correction.

EDIT: Ginola 99 has addressed their existance...indeed, make of it what you will!!! The dodgy fudgers...

Is it 2001 again?

Spurs agree partnership deal with Mouscron

3:45PM GMT 20 Dec 2001
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR have signed a partnership deal with the Belgian first division side Excelsior Mouscron.

The White Hart Lane club will now have first option on Mouscron's best players, who include the talented Belgian under-21 international striker Jonathan Blondel.
David Pleat, Spurs' director of football, has already visited the Belgian side with a top-level delegation of directors.
And Mouscron chief executive Gino Gylain, believes the deal will benefit both clubs.
"They (Spurs) liked what they saw, and what we can offer," he said. "Working together with Tottenham will help us expand as a club.
Related Articles
Stylish Spurs on trip down memory lane 16 Dec 2001
"We will be able to exchange players, training ideas and coaching staff with them," he added.
The tie-up with Mouscron, means Spurs are now the second Premiership side to forge a partnership with a Belgian team.
Tottenham's bitter arch-rivals Arsenal are presently negotiating a deal with Beveren, while reigning Premiership champions Manchester United have already worked with Royal Antwerp for the past two years.

Seems like an obvious trick to me, get a host of feeder clubs in Belgium and Croatia etc. and just farm players all over the shop... not sure if there are [enforceable] UEFA rules about that kind of thing

Can we expect statements from Benny's older sibling next about how well Bale would fit into their setup?

We would be able to buy them and then "park them" elsewhere until they show enough promise or have enough international caps to satisfy department work and pensions..

This is what Chelsea did with Alex and sent him out to PSV

Is there an example (other than Alex) of a club doing this and it working out well for the club and player?

Seems to me that even though this option is possible it still puts English clubs at a severe disadvantage. "Yes, we're going to sign you, we're a London PL club, look at our fantastic new training centre where we have top class coaches - oh yeah, by the way, we're going to ship you out on loan to some smaller club in a smaller league somewhere, probably for the first two years of your time here".

I think a lot of clubs are seeing that the scattergun approach to signing youngsters from all over the world isn't as successful as they might have hoped anyway.

Is there an example (other than Alex) of a club doing this and it working out well for the club and player?

Seems to me that even though this option is possible it still puts English clubs at a severe disadvantage. "Yes, we're going to sign you, we're a London PL club, look at our fantastic new training centre where we have top class coaches - oh yeah, by the way, we're going to ship you out on loan to some smaller club in a smaller league somewhere, probably for the first two years of your time here".

I think a lot of clubs are seeing that the scattergun approach to signing youngsters from all over the world isn't as successful as they might have hoped anyway.

That's probably like a dream come true for a lot of African and South American kids. Belgian clubs (and probably other countries as well) are notorious at bringing in 16-17 year olds, then dumping them on the street with no money if they don't develop as hoped.

That's probably like a dream come true for a lot of African and South American kids. Belgian clubs (and probably other countries as well) are notorious at bringing in 16-17 year olds, then dumping them on the street with no money if they don't develop as hoped.

If we're bringing in relatively unknown players in that age group then yes. If we're trying to sign players slightly older players that are closer to first team action and we're competing over their signature with other clubs around Europe then I think there's a real disadvantage.

If we're bringing in relatively unknown players in that age group then yes. If we're trying to sign players slightly older players that are closer to first team action and we're competing over their signature with other clubs around Europe then I think there's a real disadvantage.

That's where agents and 3rd parties come in. It is as close to slavery as you can get IMO. Kids (anyone under 21) are shipped to whatever club will take them in hope that they can all make a nice profit in the future. If not, they're quickly dumped.

Would you be saying the same if we could sell on a percentage of Bale's rights to someone (Real or 3rd party agent) for £40m to invest in the team and keep Bale?

yes I would say the same....i just dont agree with it.

In many cases the agent IS the 3rd party owner as well. Like Bebe happened to be owned by the same agent United have done a lot of deals with from Portugal. Nothing dodgy there. 8-[

That's where agents and 3rd parties come in. It is as close to slavery as you can get IMO. Kids (anyone under 21) are shipped to whatever club will take them in hope that they can all make a nice profit in the future. If not, they're quickly dumped.

I don't quite see how this relates to the points I made about work permits.

Not a fan of the 3rd party ownership at all, but I think there are situations a lot closer to slavery outside football.

Clubs (and unfortunately 3rd party owners) give these kids a chance to make it as professional footballers, when they don't make it quite a few of them are left with nothing. This is unfortunate, but no different to what would have happened had they not been given that chance. I have no more sympathy for them than for some other kid from some third world nation that had even less footballing talent and is left with nothing.

Fair play if you feel that strongly. I wouldn't say I was 100% happy with the arrangements but not totally against it either. It has allowed a lot of the bigger names and better players stay in Brazil or return home in the last couple of years.

Do you both also disagree with joint club player ownership which happens a lot in Italy? What do you make of the supposed help that we might receive from UA regarding Bales wages?

Don't understand how anyone can have the rights to a player - a human being FFS.

Playing rights, marketing rights.. Call it what you will. Its no different than the "rights" that Tottenham currently "own".. or do you not believe in any contracts at all..

FIFA should just take over the agents role.
You know, bypass the middleman using the internet.
Players can list themselves on a linkedin type portal and can opt for contracts or permanent roles just like the rest of us.

FIFA should just take over the agents role.
You know, bypass the middleman using the internet.
Players can list themselves on a linkedin type portal and can opt for contracts or permanent roles just like the rest of us.

There was talk of this last summer, so at least they're looking at it. The sooner the find ways of limiting the roles of agents, the better IMO.

Back