• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

I don't quite see how this relates to the points I made about work permits.

Not a fan of the 3rd party ownership at all, but I think there are situations a lot closer to slavery outside football.

Clubs (and unfortunately 3rd party owners) give these kids a chance to make it as professional footballers, when they don't make it quite a few of them are left with nothing. This is unfortunate, but no different to what would have happened had they not been given that chance. I have no more sympathy for them than for some other kid from some third world nation that had even less footballing talent and is left with nothing.

From a broader perspective it's somewhat relevant. Clubs and agents are taking advantage of these young kids in the hope of making money. Why not fund more academies in their home countries? Instead they're stowed away at some small club in Belgium, then kicked out two or three years later, with no money and nowhere to go to, if they're not good enough.

There's a natural chain of progression for most players (unless they're super talented) that channels money down through the leagues. With the already mega rich clubs trying to bypass this to line their own and the agent's pockets they are killing the small clubs.

FIFA should just take over the agents role.
You know, bypass the middleman using the internet.
Players can list themselves on a linkedin type portal and can opt for contracts or permanent roles just like the rest of us.

Given the scope for backhanders and other corruption in the world of agents, I'm not sure getting FIFA involved is a good idea. Blatter might feel otherwise, though.

Given the scope for backhanders and other corruption in the world of agents, I'm not sure getting FIFA involved is a good idea. Blatter might feel otherwise, though.

Well FIFA would want a piece of the action of course but it principle it is a better system than what is there now. They can probably just rip the interface from FIFA 13 or some other game.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/7001806/fifa-seeks-web-based-transfer-system-players

Edit: Um...Baldini's great.

Any chance of someone posting about Baldini?
I've only skim read the last few pages but I think the gist is that Baldi has a secret stash of Brazilian wunderkinds at a Belgian 3rd division outfit primed and ready to go. Unless they're brick then they can fudge off.

Something like that anyway, close enough.

There was talk of this last summer, so at least they're looking at it. The sooner the find ways of limiting the roles of agents, the better IMO.

i think LEGITIMATE agents would agree! Third party/dodgy agents are absolute trouble for them as much as anyone...

Anyone knows more about baldini beyond a few high profile roles and a successful "project" for roma e.g. new training centre and even sponsorships :)

48190318ZY_0039PE.jpg

Some more probing questions:
- why he moved from Roma in what seems as a very short time for a GM
- what he actually did for capello for England - it wasn't actually plain sailing plus there was the odd player revolt
- and at roma he was general manager - not the same as a DOF is it?

Last edited:
Last edited:
The Roma fans blame Baldini for their failure to qualify for Europe, so I think at best the jury is out. Roma made no attempt to keep hold of him, happy to release him from a two year contract with no compensation payment.
He's certainly got some work to do to rebuild his reputation. This could work out well, but I'm not expecting miracles.
I hope he lets the coaches get on with what they are already doing, last years successes with the U21s and nextgen teams would suggest they are doing a fantastic job.

right. so levy's idea is that we're the second chance saloon. not saying its bad but just calling it as it is, afterall it turned out well with AVB.

If Baldini was responsible for the hiring of managers in Roma then i can see why they're opinion of him is negative. In terms of player recruitment though, he's done well there imo.

The Roma fans blame Baldini for their failure to qualify for Europe, so I think at best the jury is out. Roma made no attempt to keep hold of him, happy to release him from a two year contract with no compensation payment.
He's certainly got some work to do to rebuild his reputation. This could work out well, but I'm not expecting miracles.
I hope he lets the coaches get on with what they are already doing, last years successes with the U21s and nextgen teams would suggest they are doing a fantastic job.

Bit of a one-sided view here, devoid of a lot of context and key facts.

What actually happened is that Baldini was in a role where he found decent players and thought they could recreate Barcelona with Luis Enrique in charge. Didn't really work out. The new American owners also had players they wanted signed, and were. The team became a mix of two different visions. And then they hired another sporting director, further diluting Baldini's influence. Sabatini is still there. They got rid of Luis Enrique quite quickly.

In fairness, the managerial choices of Baldini were bad in hindsight and not the right fit for the club at all - however, the club itself did a number on his job and pretty much forced him out long before he left.

In our situation, we have a very good manager so no need for that. The manager knows a lot of players, and Baldini is there to smooth the way to getting them. It'll all be about using contacts and getting closer to the players Spurs want. As for jury still out and rebuilding reputation, what rubbish. 2nd only to Porto's sporting director in the eyes of most around the football world.

Seems spot on Danners!

Hully: Are there any technical directors or DoFs you think we could have signed that couldn't be described as "the jury is out on them".

Seems spot on Danners!

Hully: Are there any technical directors or DoFs you think we could have signed that couldn't be described as "the jury is out on them".

I think it's something about signing for Spurs that makes anyone inherently brick...

Back