• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football and Homophobia

I don't think you get the point. I say Milo is entitled to be offended. And he was. So he punished me. It supports the view that what matters is not my intention but how offended he was. And he clearly was. Even though I had no intention of insult him or indeed any one else.

I wasn't offended. The site rules aren't there to protect my sensitive soul. They are there to stop the board descending into petty arguments and those arguments getting in the way of decent discussion.

I jumped the gun earlier, I apologise for that.

I wasn't offended. The site rules aren't there to protect my sensitive soul. They are there to stop the board descending into petty arguments and those arguments getting in the way of decent discussion.

Oh come on, you've just pulled the rug from under his argument right there.

You could say your shot load early.

Page after page after page of low level homophobia, occasionally tinged with an undercurrent of racism and the good people of this board watch on in silence.

No one challenges this.

Milo - what does that say about your board? That there are no good people? Or that they are too worried to speak out?

If i was a young Spurs fan reading this I would learn from posts here that a little homophobic abuse is acceptable, that some people have gay friends that like homophobic slurs, that homophobic slurs are ok if you do not mean it, that people who complain are oversensitive, homophobia is ok if you are a good right back, 70s comedians some of whom were gay used homophobic phrases so that makes homophobia ok in 2017, that Britain has a long and proud history of low level homophobia and it is an important part of our culture, homophobic slurs are ok because they can have another meaning, homophobia is allowed under the First Amendment, Stephen Fry says homophobia is ok.

And if I were a young gay person I am not sure I would feel comfortable or welcome here. But not to worry, as someone posted here, if they didn't like it, they could go and support "Rainbow united" (presumably Arsenal).

Last edited:
Page after page after page of low level homophobia, occasionally tinged with an undercurrent of racism and the good people of this board watch on in silence.

No one challenges this.

Including you because you haven't reported a single post for breaking the site rules.

If you are not familiar with them, here they are:

1. - Personal Attacks
While you have the right to disagree strongly with any poster on any point, personal attacks will not be tolerated. This includes replying to call another poster an obscene name, posting hostile rumours about a person, targeting a poster with numerous negative comments, posting pictures of a poster which cause offence to the person in question and anything else agreed upon by a majority of administrators as constituting a personal attack.

Please note banter between posters is fine, the aim here is to prevent unwelcome attacks which add a negative and hostile environment to the board and any individual poster. If a thread is locked because it's got out of hand please do not carry on your arguments into another one. This is a forum for everyone, not your own personal battleground.

Also we will not tolerate any attacks regarding race, creed, colour, religion or sexual orientation. Any infringements of this kind will be treated as a major violation.

2. Libellous Statements
Remarks which could cause Scaramanga or the admin team to be the recipient of a libel lawsuit will not be tolerated. Accusations which are made without facts or evidence have previously resulted in contact from legal teams on behalf of those accused and could lead to the forum being sued for damages. We like to think that we promote free speech here, but recent changes in UK law have led to libel suits being taken out against forums and we do not want this repeated with Glory Glory - it would mean the end of the site. Defamatory or damaging remarks are the responsibility of the poster and the admin team so please think before you post - we are monitored by clubs, media monitoring companies, PR agencies and agents so your harmless banter could easily end up viewed by the wrong people and we are legally required to provide details which would make you traceable by the authorities.

3. - Avatars
This site is a site open for use to Spurs supporters of all ages including children. It is also used extensively by people in the workplace. For these reasons avatars are not allowed to contain nudity or obscene/sexually explicit content. This includes cartoons.

Provocative avatars which may lead to arguments on the board or result in threads going off topic are not permitted.

Complaints about unsuitable avatars should be PM'd to an admin who will decide what further action to take. If an avatar is agreed to be unsuitable the member in question will be asked to change the avatar, if the avatar remains unchanged then avatars will be disabled for that member.

4. - Links To Streaming Sites
We have been informed by the club that it is illegal for us to promote/advertise links to streams for games. It is against the site rules to post or request links to streaming sites. If anyone sees it please mention it to an admin and they will delete the thread.

5. - WUM and trolls
The admin team regularly receive complaints about people seeking to winding up other posters, repeatedly posting the same thing across multiple threads or posting unsubstantiated inflammatory comments/opinions. This ruins the enjoyment of this board for many. If you suspect that a poster is acting as a wind up merchant or trolling then please report examples to the admin team. The admin team will consider the matter and if the majority agree then they will PM the poster and warn them about their future conduct. Failure to comply with this warning will result in the poster being put on post moderation. Acts of trolling are designated as such by the opinion of the admins. These are not open to debate and if your behaviour is continually detrimental to the quality of the board we will take action.

6. - Adverts/Scams/Affiliate schemes/etc
There is no place for any of this in our forums. Please do not post anything to do with the above without the explicit permission of an admin. If anyone sees it please mention it to an admin and they will delete the thread.

7. - Tickets.
The resale of tickets to football matches is an offence under section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. The club monitor this site to ensure that we do not breach this law. Please do not offer to sell, lend, swap or give tickets, membership or season tickets on this site. It is also against the forum rules to ask if people have tickets, season tickets or membership that you can borrow, buy or swap.

8. - Abuse of Post Reporting
Genuine reports of posts which break site rules are welcomed by the admin team but the abuse or frivolous use of the tool is against site rules. It wastes the admin team's time and is in effect spamming the board.

9. - Complaints about an Admin's Actions
We as administrators are not perfect. However, if you feel that you have been harshly treated the public forums are not to be treated as your personal venting space to attack a single admin or the admin as a whole.

Complaints about an admin's actions should be PM'd to another admin who will decide what further action is required. If an administrator agrees that the action taken was unfair then the admin in question will be warned and a public apology issued. Continued unnecessary actions from the admin will result in a removal of admin status.

Including you because you haven't reported a single post for breaking the site rules.

If you are not familiar with them, here they are:

1. - Personal Attacks
While you have the right to disagree strongly with any poster on any point, personal attacks will not be tolerated. This includes replying to call another poster an obscene name, posting hostile rumours about a person, targeting a poster with numerous negative comments, posting pictures of a poster which cause offence to the person in question and anything else agreed upon by a majority of administrators as constituting a personal attack.

Please note banter between posters is fine, the aim here is to prevent unwelcome attacks which add a negative and hostile environment to the board and any individual poster. If a thread is locked because it's got out of hand please do not carry on your arguments into another one. This is a forum for everyone, not your own personal battleground.

Also we will not tolerate any attacks regarding race, creed, colour, religion or sexual orientation. Any infringements of this kind will be treated as a major violation.

2. Libellous Statements
Remarks which could cause Scaramanga or the admin team to be the recipient of a libel lawsuit will not be tolerated. Accusations which are made without facts or evidence have previously resulted in contact from legal teams on behalf of those accused and could lead to the forum being sued for damages. We like to think that we promote free speech here, but recent changes in UK law have led to libel suits being taken out against forums and we do not want this repeated with Glory Glory - it would mean the end of the site. Defamatory or damaging remarks are the responsibility of the poster and the admin team so please think before you post - we are monitored by clubs, media monitoring companies, PR agencies and agents so your harmless banter could easily end up viewed by the wrong people and we are legally required to provide details which would make you traceable by the authorities.

3. - Avatars
This site is a site open for use to Spurs supporters of all ages including children. It is also used extensively by people in the workplace. For these reasons avatars are not allowed to contain nudity or obscene/sexually explicit content. This includes cartoons.

Provocative avatars which may lead to arguments on the board or result in threads going off topic are not permitted.

Complaints about unsuitable avatars should be PM'd to an admin who will decide what further action to take. If an avatar is agreed to be unsuitable the member in question will be asked to change the avatar, if the avatar remains unchanged then avatars will be disabled for that member.

4. - Links To Streaming Sites
We have been informed by the club that it is illegal for us to promote/advertise links to bodies of running water for games. It is against the site rules to post or request links to streaming sites. If anyone sees it please mention it to an admin and they will delete the thread.

5. - WUM and trolls
The admin team regularly receive complaints about people seeking to winding up other posters, repeatedly posting the same thing across multiple threads or posting unsubstantiated inflammatory comments/opinions. This ruins the enjoyment of this board for many. If you suspect that a poster is acting as a wind up merchant or trolling then please report examples to the admin team. The admin team will consider the matter and if the majority agree then they will PM the poster and warn them about their future conduct. Failure to comply with this warning will result in the poster being put on post moderation. Acts of trolling are designated as such by the opinion of the admins. These are not open to debate and if your behaviour is continually detrimental to the quality of the board we will take action.

6. - Adverts/Scams/Affiliate schemes/etc
There is no place for any of this in our forums. Please do not post anything to do with the above without the explicit permission of an admin. If anyone sees it please mention it to an admin and they will delete the thread.

7. - Tickets.
The resale of tickets to football matches is an offence under section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. The club monitor this site to ensure that we do not breach this law. Please do not offer to sell, lend, swap or give tickets, membership or season tickets on this site. It is also against the forum rules to ask if people have tickets, season tickets or membership that you can borrow, buy or swap.

8. - Abuse of Post Reporting
Genuine reports of posts which break site rules are welcomed by the admin team but the abuse or frivolous use of the tool is against site rules. It wastes the admin team's time and is in effect spamming the board.

9. - Complaints about an Admin's Actions
We as administrators are not perfect. However, if you feel that you have been harshly treated the public forums are not to be treated as your personal venting space to attack a single admin or the admin as a whole.

Complaints about an admin's actions should be PM'd to another admin who will decide what further action is required. If an administrator agrees that the action taken was unfair then the admin in question will be warned and a public apology issued. Continued unnecessary actions from the admin will result in a removal of admin status.

Milo - are you suggesting I have not complained about homophobia on this board?

The tone of this board comes from you. And your response suggests you don't see a problem.

Take my post above as a formal complaint.

Do something about it. Or don't. It's your board.

Last edited:

The tone of this board comes from you. And your response suggests you don't see a problem.

you see that "REPORT" thing at the bottom of the post - have you tried using this?

You haven't reported a single post. There is a report button under every post, if you click it, you can let us know when you think someone has broken the site rules.

I haven't read all of this thread, my wife is about to go into labour and I have been in and out of hospital over the last couple of days.

If you think that a post has broken the rules, report it and all of the mods can look at it and come to a decision.

He is accusing us all of being homophobes supporting slurs against LGBT because we havent all raised our pitchforks against Aurier signing.

Instead, we have actually pointed out there are a lot of factors involved in what makes a "slur", as it were, and that this one isnt entirely clear cut. Also that ignorance isnt the same as any ...ism and that education is key.

As well as, in general, offence really needs to be intended in order to be taken.

Essentially, one party has taken an absolute, extreme, binary view on it, while the other has tried to discuss with reason.

The first party has now worked themselves into such a lather they are looking for validation from their friends while broadly slating the entire board population as homophobic, while also playing the victim.

Its all rather strange.

Let's hear from Serge Aurier, who has just had his move from PSG to Tottenham confirmed.

He said: “This is a huge and exciting opportunity at a massive football club and I am determined to prove myself as a professional both on and off the pitch.

"This is a fresh start for me and I will do everything to make the Spurs fanbase, which is huge and diverse, proud of me. The fans are the most important people at any club and I am looking forward to showing them and everyone at Spurs the real Serge Aurier.”

Carefully worded. Well enough that I think he might deserve a chance.

Proud Lilywhites statement:

A number of LGBT+ and ally fans, bloggers and media have asked us for comment on the signing of Serge Aurier given his well-publicised history.

We were initially unhappy with the signing, but given our positive dialogue with the Club we would like to use this as an opportunity to build bridges and make lasting change.

Football has the power to transform individuals’ lives and entire communities. At its best, it doesn’t merely delight us: it can provide us with a chance to transcend geographical boundaries and learn to work and play and celebrate together. Players, Clubs and the Football Authorities need to take this responsibility seriously, so what happens when players such as Serge Aurier who have been openly homophobic in the past join a new Club and have a fresh start? It actually gives us an opportunity to talk about the kind of game we want to see, players we want to support; the kind of Clubs we want to be and make effective and deep-rooted change.

We started the Proud Lilywhites in 2014 because we wanted to ensure that every Spurs fan, regardless of their sexuality or gender identity felt safe to enjoy watching their football team, knew they had a community with which to watch it and felt that they belonged. Our flag, which stood tall at White Hart Lane, became a testament to this. We wanted to be at the forefront of social and cultural transformation via football — changing hearts and minds – being part of creating the conditions that ensure all LGBT+ fans and staff feel safe and welcome in the football family.

But this is a journey – we don’t want to recriminate. One of our main tools for change is education, so we’d like to see engagement with LGBT+ fans is at the top of Serge’s list. We’ve already done great work with Stewards, Club staff and fans and look forward to working with the Club and other supporters, to show Serge Aurier that Spurs fans are incredibly diverse, welcoming and loyal.

We all love this game and we want to win matches and trophies, but not at any cost. Homophobic language, when unchallenged, can have consequences: we have to be the change we want to see. Making change, player by player, even fan by fan if necessary, is why we’re here and we won’t rest until we’ve done it.

Welcome to the famous Tottenham Hotspur Serge, we look forward to you getting to know us.

Chris Paouros and Simon Gray – Co-Chairs, Proud Lilywhites

For more information, follow us on twitter @spurslgbt or get in touch via this form

https://proudlilywhites.wordpress.com/2017/08/31/serge-aurier/

So these guys took issue with his statement, but instead of going hysterical they have taken a very fair and progressive response.

The starting point for that positive statement was an acceptance by everyone that Aurier's words were homophobic. The Proud Lilywhites, the Club, Stonewall and presumably Aurier himself all acknowledge that his words were homophobic.

On this board, I can't see any acknowledgement of the homophobic nature of his words. So deep rooted is the belief that his words were not homophobic, I see posts suggesting that the Clubs statement was a only PR exercise to head off potential criticism.

There is a problem with homophobia on this board.

have you seen a different statement than myself?

Aurier said: “This is a huge and exciting opportunity at a massive football club and I am determined to prove myself as a professional both on and off the pitch. This is a fresh start for me and I will do everything to make the Spurs fanbase, which is huge and diverse, proud of me. The fans are the most important people at any club and I am looking forward to showing them and everyone at Spurs the real Serge Aurier.”

Back