• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Financial Results

Levy himself (years ago) in an interview with garth crooks, said we are always up for sale. The price has to be right though.
Everything is up for sale if the price is right, that's different from being actively looking for a sale.

So if EBITDA was £112m, and we made a £50m loss - that’s a net -£162m in depreciation, amortisation, player trading, interest and taxation.

We sold KWP for £12m, so that leaves -£174m in depreciation, amortisation, interest and taxation.

Last year amortisation was -£74m, depreciation was -£72m (mostly the stadium I believe), and interest was -£37m > £183m in total, which is pretty close to £174m.

Edit: So I think it’s mostly the stadium depreciation and interest that’s causing the loss.

Last edited:
So if EBITDA was £112m, and we made a £50m loss - that’s a net -£162m in depreciation, amortisation, player trading, interest and taxation.

We sold KWP for £12m, so that leaves -£174m in depreciation, amortisation, interest and taxation.

Last year amortisation was -£74m, depreciation was -£72m (mostly the stadium I believe), and interest was -£37m > £183m in total, which is pretty close to £174m.

Edit: So I think it’s mostly the stadium depreciation and interest that’s causing the loss.

How do we prevent a repeat of these losses in future years as they are not sustainable if they keep happening obviously.

Did you not wade through this pdf? https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/media/4hodwa2a/tottenham-hotspur-limited-300622-signed.pdf
There are pages upon pages of explanation and detail.

This is why I find accounting so unintuitive, compared to cash! I guess we might be choosing to depreciate the stadium quicker than we actually have to pay all the loans back.

It's not cash losses. See the vid i posted. We made an operating profit.

I watched the video and whilst it was interesting I can’t say I learned anything, although that is more down to me no doubt.

It would be good to have a summary (if you time) for accounting dummies like me (I’m sure I am not the only one!) as at the moment I am rather confused as to what kind of health we are in financially. No doubt a good one but personally I like to understand the intricacies.

Would be great to know how we compare with our rivals too.

I watched the video and whilst it was interesting I can’t say I learned anything, although that is more down to me no doubt.

It would be good to have a summary (if you time) for accounting dummies like me (I’m sure I am not the only one!) as at the moment I am rather confused as to what kind of health we are in financially. No doubt a good one but personally I like to understand the intricacies.
How can you understand the intricacies if you don't understand finance?

Would be great to know how we compare with our rivals too.

Swissramble should do a breakdown on monday. Will post that then.

And how does that tally with building a winning team?
You get rid of those that are not good enough for as much money as you can to recoup the "loss"

That's why when some fans say "ohh why can't we just get rid for nothing" or similar, they are talking out their arse

There are obviously times to cut your losses but ultimately you have to balance by getting as much money back on the fringe as you can whilst reinvesting on better

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/tottenham-hotspur-finances-202122

Sure sure, but those pre season tournaments would have been done in the previous financial year as well, along with the stadium tour and skywalks I think? Although probably under Covid restrictions.

Was just trying to rationalize the £31m increase compared to July 2020 - June 2021 accts ? The difference would be these non footballing events I think?
FWIW my question on what made up the increase in commercial rev is answered here:
Other income (the non footballing events) 17m
Sponsorships 12m
Merchandizing 3m

“Commercial Revenue

Tottenham’s commercial revenue rose £32m (21%) from £152m to a club record £184m, driven by sponsorships growing £12m (11%) from £114m to £126m and other income more than doubling from £15m to £32m, while merchandising was also up £3m (13%) from £22m to £25m.

The sponsorship increase was due to new training wear partner Getir (£7.5m a year), a full year of sleeve sponsor Cinch (£10m a year) plus other new partners.

The substantial rise in other income was because the new stadium was open to major revenue-generating events, such as the heavyweight fight between Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk, the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final and a Rugby Union match between Saracens and Bristol Bears.

The 10-year NFL deal apparently allows Spurs to keep catering income, though not the gate receipts.”

Back