• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Financial Results

Convert to longer-term maturities, problem goes away forever.

Unless you think our plan is to generate 100 million pound profits per year to pay the loan off in six years? Which would be pretty amusing, considering that a large chunk of them (I believe) comes due in three years, so it isn't even possible at that rate unless Levy starts selling off everything that moves. :p

What would you like to know?
Everything you know that supports the views that you regularly air on here regarding club finances and player trading.

Everything you know that supports the views that you regularly air on here regarding club finances and player trading.

Things I've already discussed, a million times?

Generally goes nowhere. I say my piece, ten people blow their tops and utterly rage about it, I try responding to them all, they all double down....

I'd rather not. But to win things, we need to stop fudging setting world records for the longest time spent not signing anyone, or posting the biggest profits ever while the weakened team routinely falls at the final hurdle and the best manager we've had in 50 years begs for us to buy him sofas, not chairs.

Things I've already discussed, a million times?

Generally goes nowhere. I say my piece, ten people blow their tops and utterly rage about it, I try responding to them all, they all double down....

I'd rather not. But to win things, we need to stop fudging setting world records for the longest time spent not signing anyone, or posting the biggest profits ever while the weakened team routinely falls at the final hurdle and the best manager we've had in 50 years begs for us to buy him sofas, not chairs.

I think there is a balance somewhere, fans like us tend not to be good at.

A few years ago we simply didn't have the revenue or line of sight to the revenue to "pay whatever is needed"
I could see in the last two years the club being ultra cautious with the unknowns that are inevitable with a project of this size (stadium).
Now, the ability to calculate what the total cost, expected payments (they will refinance) and revenue including non football income, would look like.

Today, I have more a view in line with your historical one, this summer the club needs to spend (and not net spend zero), we need to put out even if it means very little or no profit next year to push on.

But Poch also needs to be careful what he asks for, with net zero spending people are ok with top 4 and good cup runs. If we go out and spend 100-200M, then that requires a return, we need to win something,

I think there is a balance somewhere, fans like us tend not to be good at.

A few years ago we simply didn't have the revenue or line of sight to the revenue to "pay whatever is needed"
I could see in the last two years the club being ultra cautious with the unknowns that are inevitable with a project of this size (stadium).
Now, the ability to calculate what the total cost, expected payments (they will refinance) and revenue including non football income, would look like.

Today, I have more a view in line with your historical one, this summer the club needs to spend (and not net spend zero), we need to put out even if it means very little or no profit next year to push on.

But Poch also needs to be careful what he asks for, with net zero spending people are ok with top 4 and good cup runs. If we go out and spend 100-200M, then that requires a return, we need to win something,

I don't even think the club needs to spend 100M-200M. But we need to stop being utterly obsessed with zero net spend, and with cheaping out every single time - to the extent that we're happy to go 18 yawning, increasingly threadbare months without signing anyone because we either didn't want to spend a single cent or didn't want to take a single cent of loss on moving unwanted players on quickly to make space.

The problem with zero net spend is that it's usually one in, one out. And the one in is usually worse than the one out, at least when he comes in. So regression is the norm - constant transition, as players take time to bed in, which never allows the club to challenge for anything because, well, zero net spend is the aim, not trophies.

I think Eriksen will leave. I think Toby will leave. I hope Wanyama, Trippier, Janssen, GKN et al are moved on.

There is easily 150M-200M in that lot. 75M for Eriksen, 25M for Toby, 15M for Wanyama, 22.5M for Trippier, 5M for Janssen, 7.5M for GKN...that's 150M right there.

Throw in a bit of money, and push on for once. Replace Eriksen with quality. Replace Toby with quality. Upgrade on Wanyama. Upgrade on Trippier. 40M-50M each should get you four damn good players, and the core of a new era, if spent right.

proactively improve the side - instead of remaining a pygmy terrified of slipping back into the 90s, an era twenty years past. That's all I want to see.

And for GHod's sake, don't end up signing no one again. That we committed that dereliction of duty was bad enough - if we miss out on CL, it will be a hammer blow that will express how utterly stupid that was. But either way, don't do that this summer, because it will be utterly fatal to the team's chances - 100% fatal.

Do I think it will happen? No. Old habits die hard, especially in the case of our owners. But I live in eternal hope.

It's probably a good thing that agents do get paid for contract renewals otherwise team continuity would be impossible.
What is required is a third party organisation, staffed by ex-players, approved by Fifa, that acts for all the players in a particular league, but on a standard flat fee basis. Perhaps.

It's probably a good thing that agents do get paid for contract renewals otherwise team continuity would be impossible.
What is required is a third party organisation, staffed by ex-players, approved by Fifa, that acts for all the players in a particular league, but on a standard flat fee basis. Perhaps.

Hmm. Trouble is this is a player’s livelihood (albeit at top level way beyond anything us lesser mortals would dream of). I would want to know I had a good negotiator working on my behalf, not an ex-player.
Not against more regulation around the fees of course.

IThrow in a bit of money, and push on for once. Replace Eriksen with quality. Replace Toby with quality. Upgrade on Wanyama. Upgrade on Trippier. 40M-50M each should get you four damn good players, and the core of a new era, if spent right.

40m is the new 15m really.

To really get proper quality in for those positions it would cost: Isco - £100m, De Ligt - £75m, Ndombélé - £70m, Wan-Bissaka £50m

What I can see the club doing instead is pushing the wages way up to 250k+

I don't even think the club needs to spend 100M-200M. But we need to stop being utterly obsessed with zero net spend, and with cheaping out every single time - to the extent that we're happy to go 18 yawning, increasingly threadbare months without signing anyone because we either didn't want to spend a single cent or didn't want to take a single cent of loss on moving unwanted players on quickly to make space.

The problem with zero net spend is that it's usually one in, one out. And the one in is usually worse than the one out, at least when he comes in. So regression is the norm - constant transition, as players take time to bed in, which never allows the club to challenge for anything because, well, zero net spend is the aim, not trophies.

I think Eriksen will leave. I think Toby will leave. I hope Wanyama, Trippier, Janssen, GKN et al are moved on.

There is easily 150M-200M in that lot. 75M for Eriksen, 25M for Toby, 15M for Wanyama, 22.5M for Trippier, 5M for Janssen, 7.5M for GKN...that's 150M right there.

Throw in a bit of money, and push on for once. Replace Eriksen with quality. Replace Toby with quality. Upgrade on Wanyama. Upgrade on Trippier. 40M-50M each should get you four damn good players, and the core of a new era, if spent right.

proactively improve the side - instead of remaining a pygmy terrified of slipping back into the 90s, an era twenty years past. That's all I want to see.

And for GHod's sake, don't end up signing no one again. That we committed that dereliction of duty was bad enough - if we miss out on CL, it will be a hammer blow that will express how utterly stupid that was. But either way, don't do that this summer, because it will be utterly fatal to the team's chances - 400% fatal.

Do I think it will happen? No. Old habits die hard, especially in the case of our owners. But I live in eternal hope.

I think you’re actually going to be pleasantly surprised by what we do this summer.

40m is the new 15m really.

To really get proper quality in for those positions it would cost: Isco - £100m, De Ligt - £75m, Ndombélé - £70m, Wan-Bissaka £50m

What I can see the club doing instead is pushing the wages way up to 250k+

£50m for AWB would be crazy for a kid after one season playing in a lower level team

Similarly no one will pay £100m for Isco as he isn’t in that top tier (not consistent enough)

De Ligt would be the value you say AWB he have proven himself in the CL now

Similarly NDombele would too imo

£50m for AWB would be crazy for a kid after one season playing in a lower level team

Similarly no one will pay £100m for Isco as he isn’t in that top tier (not consistent enough)

De Ligt would be the value you say AWB he have proven himself in the CL now

Similarly NDombele would too imo

Palace will charge that much, though. 50m is actually on the low side - I imagine they'd want 60+.

Just the way the market is in England.

I agree with you on Isco - he isn't going for 100m, not even close. Might be less than 50.

De Ligt will likely go for whatever Frenkie De Jong went for - 75m-ish, I think.

N'Dombele will likely be in the 60-70M price range. He had a barnstorming start to the season, but lately he's fallen off, and Lyon are apparently pretty tinkled off at him for a lack of effort.

Palace will charge that much, though. 50m is actually on the low side - I imagine they'd want 60+.

Just the way the market is in England.

I agree with you on Isco - he isn't going for 100m, not even close. Might be less than 50.

De Ligt will likely go for whatever Frenkie De Jong went for - 75m-ish, I think.

N'Dombele will likely be in the 60-70M price range. He had a barnstorming start to the season, but lately he's fallen off, and Lyon are apparently pretty tinkled off at him for a lack of effort.

It’s an issue but is a good thing too with the prem

Clubs have so much money they don’t have to sell so can ask bonkers prices.... similarly that stops players from moving a truly developing and reaching their potential

I’ve said before for me Aaron’s is the better player, would be cheaper and has more of an all round game. The key for us is no one knows of him as much

Back