• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FAO Andorid Disciples

Settings...accounts...add account

Out of interest and as a sidenote - why do you think Android (Google) haven't yet developed / introduced some kind of intermediate software which would take care off all these items similar to iTunes for example. Is it a matter of principle?

surely her blackberry calendar is syncing with exchange as well?

if you can get the exchange account on the tablet you are sorted

Out of interest and as a sidenote - why do you think Android (Google) haven't yet developed / introduced some kind of intermediate software which would take care off all these items similar to iTunes for example. Is it a matter of principle?

Because us Google disciples don't want bloatware, and we don't want to be locked in to anything

I wan't my Android to do everything, but disconnected from a money making lock down like iTunes

Apple have clearly taking it to the ultimate extreme, but Microsoft are also doing it with Zune

That is why I love Android

Because us Google disciples don't want bloatware, and we don't want to be locked in to anything

I wan't my Android to do everything, but disconnected from a money making lock down like iTunes

Apple have clearly taking it to the ultimate extreme, but Microsoft are also doing it with Zune

That is why I love Android

You put that so much more eloquently and politely than my first thought* when I read Arcy's post.

(*iTunes is brick and for c@nts the reason I do not buy Apple products.)

Last edited:
He didn't say iTunes. He said why don't they make their own software similar to it?

And if iTunes is the reason you don't buy Apple products...then that's kinda sad. I think the software is rubbish overall, but it does a job.

He didn't say iTunes. He said why don't they make their own software similar to it?

And if iTunes is the reason you don't buy Apple products...then that's kinda sad. I think the software is rubbish overall, but it does a job.

I know he didn't, something similar, as you say, but why would anyone want to mimic dreadful software?

As regards being sad because iTunes have put me off Apple products I'm not entirely sure if you mean I'm sad or it's a sad state of affairs but I don't feel having used it that it's user friendly at all, quite the opposite.

I know he didn't, something similar, as you say, but why would anyone want to mimic dreadful software?

As regards being sad because iTunes have put me off Apple products I'm not entirely sure if you mean I'm sad or it's a sad state of affairs but I don't feel having used it that it's user friendly at all, quite the opposite.

No I agree, it's pretty crap software. There is far too much to it and it is completely inconsistent with the rest of the Apple world. However, now that iPhones and iPads can sync over WiFi, you don't really have to interact with iTunes too much after the initial setup. So what I meant was, you shouldn't be put off Apple products just thanks to iTunes. No I don't expect to change your mind either :)

No I agree, it's pretty crap software. There is far too much to it and it is completely inconsistent with the rest of the Apple world. However, now that iPhones and iPads can sync over WiFi, you don't really have to interact with iTunes too much after the initial setup. So what I meant was, you shouldn't be put off Apple products just thanks to iTunes. No I don't expect to change your mind either :)

Owning an iPhone for a week (before selling it on) about a year ago put me off them but I'd never cut my own nose off to spite my face (however much it would improve it). ;)

I hate iTunes, but I can't see why anyone would avoid Apple purely because of it. I almost never use the gui for anything.

Dump all your music in the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder, plug in your iPhone, done. Can't see why people consider it an issue.

I hate iTunes, but I can't see why anyone would avoid Apple purely because of it. I almost never use the gui for anything.

Dump all your music in the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder, plug in your iPhone, done. Can't see why people consider it an issue.

iTunes is not the only pain the in arse though is it

Just about all my devices use Micro USB now (chargers, USB cables, in-car chargers)

I only need one set of cables for HTC, TomTom, Samsung, Kindle etc

I'm f*cked if I'm going to shell out for a load of proprietary brick from Apple

The lack of HDMI and memory card slots is also very frustrating

And iOS whilst slick, still lacks basic features I need on a mobile:

- proper email attachments
- flash support
- smart dialling
- social networking links
- double tab zoom/resize browser
- decent video support
- change resolution (camera)
- 3G ON/OFF

All these work perfectly on Android (and have done for 2.5 years). For advanced users, Android is always one step ahead (as proved by multi-tasking, wifi hotspot etc)

I don't want to wait months or years for basic features, whilst Apple tinkle about with useless crap like Siri

- proper email attachments - Debatable
- flash support - No need
- smart dialling - Que?
- social networking links - Possible
- double tab zoom/resize browser - Wrong. Supported
- decent video support - Not true
- change resolution (camera) - No need - you do it when you attach the image to whatever email
- 3G ON/OFF - Wrong. Supported

Southstand - why don't they introduce a similar bridging software who would be much better than iTunes. Doesn't have to be the exact same thing

Southstand - why don't they introduce a similar bridging software who would be much better than iTunes. Doesn't have to be the exact same thing

Because when you plug in Android you can simply mount it as a disk drive (and copy your videos etc)

Plus the hardware vendors provide their own sync software (e.g. HTC sync will synchronise your bookmarks, contacts and calendar)

ss1882 once answered more eloquently than I could a few lines previously.

Copy and paste some music, vids and pictures onto the phone then and look/listen to them.....Oh and while you're there move some music over from the phone to your pc. I dare ya...

Copy and paste some music, vids and pictures onto the phone then and look/listen to them.....Oh and while you're there move some music over from the phone to your pc. I dare ya...

That's at least one more step than just chucking it all into one folder and plugging in my phone - again, I'm not sticking up for iTunes as it's brick but there's nothing out there that does the basic stuff faster or better.

Equally, do people really put music on their phones much now? I just stream mine from my PC at home no matter where I am.

If you travel abroad a lot, as I do, you need it in your pocket.

I can see that, yeah. Fortunately my company just buys massive voice and data packs when I go abroad. Downside is that I'm never really out of the office.

People dissapear up their own arses about iTunes and iPhone in general. What most people forget is that it is designed to be intuative and easy to use for people that do not find technology intuative and easy to use.

"Just drag and drop" I hear you all clamour... But the fact is that there are still thousands and thousands of people that find technology intimidating and the idea of using one machine to update a different machine is a daunting task. Having everything wrapped up in a single client with minimal button pushes, whilst believing you are in a "safe" environment where you cannot go wrong is important.

Personally I want to be able to get into my wifi router and set my own rules, create static IPs etc. So for that, I'm going to go out and find the router that's right for me, it doesn't mean I'm going to sledge BT or any other ISP that sends out an idiot proof box to their customers so that they have the least amount of problems possible. I don't see why people hammer the iPhone so much. You want to spend days and days modding your phone so that it'll vibrate "Rule Brittania" when your dear old mum phones and play a live walkpaper of some Hentai Marge Simpson using a telephone as a dildo as you accept the call, happy days, get a fudging Android. But at the same time, get over yourself!

Anyway, all my phone music is on Spotify now and I use my Touchpad for movies. I can't remember using iTunes last.

Back