• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FA Cup 2016/17

Lots of "which season would you prefer" questions after this match. For me, as much as I'd love to win a cup, I've genuinely enjoyed and looked forward to every match this season. It has been truly enjoyable. Arsenal, however, had a largely miserable season; think back to their match at Palace and the pure pessimism around the club at that time.

A cup goes a long way to overcome that for their fans but in no way can it diminish what we've done.

I also think it will make fudge all difference to them keeping Sanchez.

I would rather come 4th and win any cup than 2nd in the league

I'll remember! And that is what truly matters, like when Gascoigne scored against Arsenal in the semi final back in 1991 .....it's my memory and I do not give a rats arse about what other teams fans think.

That Gazza goal is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I wasn't even old enough for primary school when it happened, and yet it's a beautiful, compelling story like no other in my eyes - part of the fabric of our story, a highlight, a moment that drew everyone together in transcendental joy and added a proud chapter to our long history of winning cups and overcoming the odds.

For some future Spurs fan presently in diapers, the 2016-2017 season won't be nearly as much of a signal moment - it will be a remarkable benchmark that shattered records and set a formidable tally for future team's to emulate, but there was no fairytale ending at the end of it, no triumph against the odds that ended in a moment of glory.

Arsenal won a trophy - they have won the most FA Cups in history, and Wenger has won almost as many FA Cups on his own as we have won as a club since 1882. United won two trophies and the Charity Shield. Chelsea won the league.

And we put the pressure on.

Hard to spin those cold facts.

Lots of "which season would you prefer" questions after this match. For me, as much as I'd love to win a cup, I've genuinely enjoyed and looked forward to every match this season. It has been truly enjoyable. Arsenal, however, had a largely miserable season; think back to their match at Palace and the pure pessimism around the club at that time.

A cup goes a long way to overcome that for their fans but in no way can it diminish what we've done.

I also think it will make fudge all difference to them keeping Sanchez.
This is going to be key for me this summer, surely Sanchez is going to want to move to a club that challenges for league titles... would be gutted if he decides to stay and they actually build a side around him.

That Gazza goal is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I wasn't even old enough for primary school when it happened, and yet it's a beautiful, compelling story like no other in my eyes - part of the fabric of our story, a highlight, a moment that drew everyone together in transcendental joy and added a proud chapter to our long history of winning cups and overcoming the odds.

For some future Spurs fan presently in diapers, the 2016-2017 season won't be nearly as much of a signal moment - it will be a remarkable benchmark that shattered records and set a formidable tally for future team's to emulate, but there was no fairytale ending at the end of it, no triumph against the odds that ended in a moment of glory.

Arsenal won a trophy - they have won the most FA Cups in history, and Wenger has won almost as many FA Cups on his own as we have won as a club since 1882. United won two trophies and the Charity Shield. Chelsea won the league.

And we put the pressure on.

Hard to spin those cold facts.
Or another way to spin the facts is that in Poch's 3 seasons we have finished 5th, 3rd and 2nd - on an upward trajectory. We collected 86 points this season which shows we are now considered not just challengers for top 4 but serious challengers for the title - the most important trophy. We are Spurs fans, the eternal pessimists and glass half empty people. I can understand we would like some cup success but we are in the best shape we have been for years and punching above our weight even against Arsenal. I am tired of this denigration of our season. This team is forged in the true image of Bill Nick. We aimed for the highest trophy - not the Europa League, not the League Cup, not the FA cup. We failed this season but our failure had in it an echo of glory. That's what Tottenham Hotspur FC is about. Come on you pessimists have a bit of faith.

Eh. I wouldn't. I would have before they won it. Now that they have, I would have theirs, I guess.

I guess we just won't agree. Taking their cup win in isolation- yeah, it's good for them and difficult for us to swallow. But you can't take it in isolation. They are a club in disarray and - hopefully - decline. Key players wanting to leave. Fans protesting against their manager and arguing amongst themselves. Often playing to a half empty stadium. A hostile attempt to oust the current majority shareholder. Finishing the league season below expectations. Out of the CL for the first time in GHod knows how many years. And an FA Cup as a consolation prize. And that's a season you would rather have over ours? No offence, but no thanks.
I want us to win silverware. But not as a consolation for everything else going wrong.

I guess we just won't agree. Taking their cup win in isolation- yeah, it's good for them and difficult for us to swallow. But you can't take it in isolation. They are a club in disarray and - hopefully - decline. Key players wanting to leave. Fans protesting against their manager and arguing amongst themselves. Often playing to a half empty stadium. A hostile attempt to oust the current majority shareholder. Finishing the league season below expectations. Out of the CL for the first time in GHod knows how many years. And an FA Cup as a consolation prize. And that's a season you would rather have over ours? No offence, but no thanks.
I want us to win silverware. But not as a consolation for everything else going wrong.
Indeed that's how we have won silverware in the past and one of the reasons we have failed to build on it.

I would rather come 4th and win any cup than 2nd in the league
I suppose this is a question that only the older members of this forum can answer, which do they remember more fondly:

a) 86/87 season - 3rd in First Division, FA Cup runners-up, League Cup semi-finalists (Clive Allen scoring a club record 49 goals).

b) 83/84 season - 8th in First Division, UEFA Cup winners.

c) 81/82 season - 4th in First Division, FA Cup winners, League Cup runners-up, Cup Winners Cup semi-finalist.

d) 80/81 season - 10th in First Division, FA Cup winners (Ricky Villa wonder goal).

Why didn't we win any Fa cups as consolations during our barren years with plenty of disarray, decline, stagnation.

Why is it that they are in such trouble and decline but still manage to beat Emirates Marketing Project in the semi and the league champions in the final......They have wanted Wenger out for the last 4 years and have won 3 Fa cups during the time

I loved us finishing 2nd but it's infuriating to be so good and not win something. When we are rubbish we don't win trophies, when we are sublime we fail to win trophies. :confused:

a dreadful final for a tottenham fan to endure but probably the best result, this cements a new contract for Wenger who will NEVER win them another league title and takes a little gloss off chelsea, disappointing we can't play in a chair shield, I would still take our season over the Goons but two league cups since 1991 aint much to crow about.

I suppose this is a question that only the older members of this forum can answer, which do they remember more fondly:

a) 86/87 season - 3rd in First Division, FA Cup runners-up, League Cup semi-finalists (Clive Allen scoring a club record 49 goals).

b) 83/84 season - 8th in First Division, UEFA Cup winners.

c) 81/82 season - 4th in First Division, FA Cup winners, League Cup runners-up, Cup Winners Cup semi-finalist.

d) 80/81 season - 10th in First Division, FA Cup winners (Ricky Villa wonder goal).

I remember a) and d) equally well.

Or another way to spin the facts is that in Poch's 3 seasons we have finished 5th, 3rd and 2nd - on an upward trajectory. We collected 86 points this season which shows we are now considered not just challengers for top 4 but serious challengers for the title - the most important trophy. We are Spurs fans, the eternal pessimists and glass half empty people. I can understand we would like some cup success but we are in the best shape we have been for years and punching above our weight even against Arsenal. I am tired of this denigration of our season. This team is forged in the true image of Bill Nick. We aimed for the highest trophy - not the Europa League, not the League Cup, not the FA cup. We failed this season but our failure had in it an echo of glory. That's what Tottenham Hotspur FC is about. Come on you pessimists have a bit of faith.

That's the thing - I don't think failure having an echo of glory in it equates to finishing a season trophyless runners up without even a shot at a community shield to show for it. I don't think that's what Bill Nick meant - even though we had an admirable, excellent league season, we are trophyless and sitting on our hands watching United, Chelsea and Arsenal caress their respective pieces of silverware at the end of it. I don't think that's what Bill Nick had in mind when he talked about glory - and, correspondingly, I think a season finshing tenth but with a trophy would mean more to him than finishing 2nd without one would.

We take the tinkle out of Arsenal failing and stumbling under Wenger, mock royally at their decline and suggest that they're in for a terrible time if they have the temerity to keep him on - but for all that, in the past four years he has won three FA Cups. Even in numerical terms, that's more than Poch, AVB, Harry, Ramos, Jol, Hoddle, Graham, Gross, Francis and Ossie combined. In the past four years. And this is decline, apparently. This is what we're supposed to laugh at them for.

I dunno, I guess I'm just bummed out that we finish another year as nearly men. No longer bottlers or soft Spurs, but nearly men nonetheless, bridesmaids yet again. And that, even when we finish above them, that lot can outdo us by winning something we couldn't for two and half decades.

This team needs to win something. Fast. Next season, even. It will be a capital crime if it is allowed to disband without winning anything, or if Poch leaves trophyless at the end of all this promise and 'upward movement'. We cannot be called winners if we have never won anything.

This has been the narrative for four seasons now. In those four seasons, they have won three FA Cups. I wonder how many more trophies they'll win in their seasons of supposed decline while we crow about our glorious upward momentum without any silverware to show for it?

If winning trophy after trophy and becoming record-holders (the most FA Cups in England now) is being in disarray and decline, I'll take the disarray and decline every day of the week, mate - definitely that over finishing 4th all the time like a mid-2000s Arsenal but without even the recent success that allowed Wenger to ride out those years. Not saying that's what you're advocating, of course - not saying that's where we're headed, either. But that's what it feels like to me when someone prioritizes 'building' over trophies. We are 25 years into 'building' since our last FA Cup. In that time, we have become utter nobodies in a competition that was once so thoroughly 'Spurs' that other teams couldn't get a look in when we rolled into town. Now Arsenal are the record FA Cup winners, and we still have nothing to show for two and a half decades of building, flailing and everything else since our last big pot.

The game is about winning things, not coming 4th and playing Traktor Partizan in a preliminary round competition. We need to take allthe cups seriously, as we are not yet at a stage where our club can play a team of kids in the 5th round of the FA Cup. Chelsea can, but not us.

This has been the narrative for four seasons now. In those four seasons, they have won three FA Cups. I wonder how many more trophies they'll win in their seasons of supposed decline while we crow about our glorious upward momentum without any silverware to show for it?

If winning trophy after trophy and becoming record-holders (the most FA Cups in England now) is being in disarray and decline, I'll take the disarray and decline every day of the week, mate - definitely that over finishing 4th all the time like a mid-2000s Arsenal but without even the recent success that allowed Wenger to ride out those years. Not saying that's what you're advocating, of course - not saying that's where we're headed, either. But that's what it feels like to me when someone prioritizes 'building' over trophies. We are 25 years into 'building' since our last FA Cup. In that time, we have become utter nobodies in a competition that was once so thoroughly 'Spurs' that other teams couldn't get a look in when we rolled into town. Now Arsenal are the record FA Cup winners, and we still have nothing to show for two and a half decades of building, flailing and everything else since our last big pot.
Dubai..like all about what you have written..I dunno it's all too much to take in.what multi universe are we in.Obviously the wrong one ..that must explain it..eh..anyway..

What was that thread about the worst thing that can happen! Lol.

That's the thing - I don't think failure having an echo of glory in it equates to finishing a season trophyless runners up without even a shot at a community shield to show for it. I don't think that's what Bill Nick meant - even though we had an admirable, excellent league season, we are trophyless and sitting on our hands watching United, Chelsea and Arsenal caress their respective pieces of silverware at the end of it. I don't think that's what Bill Nick had in mind when he talked about glory - and, correspondingly, I think a season finshing tenth but with a trophy would mean more to him than finishing 2nd without one would.

We take the tinkle out of Arsenal failing and stumbling under Wenger, mock royally at their decline and suggest that they're in for a terrible time if they have the temerity to keep him on - but for all that, in the past four years he has won three FA Cups. Even in numerical terms, that's more than Poch, AVB, Harry, Ramos, Jol, Hoddle, Graham, Gross, Francis and Ossie combined. In the past four years. And this is decline, apparently. This is what we're supposed to laugh at them for.

I dunno, I guess I'm just bummed out that we finish another year as nearly men. No longer bottlers or soft Spurs, but nearly men nonetheless, bridesmaids yet again. And that, even when we finish above them, that lot can outdo us by winning something we couldn't for two and half decades.

This team needs to win something. Fast. Next season, even. It will be a capital crime if it is allowed to disband without winning anything, or if Poch leaves trophyless at the end of all this promise and 'upward movement'. We cannot be called winners if we have never won anything.

Going for the title Dubai, even though we failed, was aiming high. When in our life time have we done that? Arsenal were not even close and they are supposed to be ahead of us in terms of their team development remember. They have paid for their stadium, are no longer under the financial constraints we are under and can afford to bring in better players. Yet they have not sustained a title challenge for years. What Spurs achieved last season was the very essence of Bill Nick's Spurs. Finishing 10th and winning a trophy to paper over cracks - that wouldn't be aiming high. Don't let the disappointment of watching the goons win a trophy cloud your perspective.

Was hoping we could play Chelsea in the Charity Shield next season if Chelsea win the FA Cup. Really annoyed that they have let Arsenal win the FA Cup for a record 13th time. But at least Arsenal stopped Chelsea from winning it for the 8th time and equal our record. There is a reason why Arsenal have won the FA Cup 7 times and ManU 5 times since we last won it in 1991 : experience and stability ! Arsenal have won it all under Wenger while ManU mostly under Ferguson. In contrast, we have had some 18 managers during that time, mostly inexperienced or shyte ones !

The problem is that we haven't been building in any true sense. We've been starting to build, knocking it down and starting to build again, over and over.
For the first time in ages it feels that we are now have some stability and are getting somewhere special. And if this current era of building means going last season, this season and maybe even next season (although I really, really hope not) without a trophy but still title challenging and hopefully going further in the CL I think I can live with that, albeit with an element of disappointment. Beyond that, and going into our new stadium, yes, we need to start winning something.
(And don't be surprised next year when Poch heavily rotates his team selections in the domestic cups again, because I am sure he will be 100% focused on going for the title).

Look, there's no right or wrong answer to this. We all want the best for our club. There are just different definitions for each person as to what that "best" looks like at the end of this season.

Back