• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ex-managers: I'm pining for the past and cannot move on

Which Ex-Manager?

• Martin Jol

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Juande Ramos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Redknapp

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Andre Villas Boas

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Tim Sherwood

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
definitely took a while to appreciate some of his signings, I'm sure I was as guilty of that as anyone, Benni, Bale, Modric all got criticism at various points

Comolli was very hit and miss with little inbetween. He got in Bale and Modric, two fabulous buys but also got Bentley and GDS (forgot all about him till just now) who were dreadful.

I can also find quotes stating he wanted Cahill, Aguero, Remy and Samba. I can also find pictures of us signing Walker and Naughton too if you wish?
You'll find quotes from him flapping his gums out the window of his Range Rover like a bulldog on a motorway about most players. I'm sure you can find quotes of him talking up Ronaldo if you look hard enough.

Fact is, of the choices that were realistic to a club like us, the options were pretty poor.

Comolli was very hit and miss with little inbetween. He got in Bale and Modric, two fabulous buys but also got Bentley and GDS (forgot all about him till just now) who were dreadful.

I read somewhere that the only player he signed for us that he discovered was BAE. I can't remember where I read though, it was a while ago.

You'll find quotes from him flapping his gums out the window of his Range Rover like a bulldog on a motorway about most players. I'm sure you can find quotes of him talking up Ronaldo if you look hard enough.

Fact is, of the choices that were realistic to a club like us, the options were pretty poor.

So when he talks about Neville it's 100% the truth, when he talks about Cahill or under one sub 30 it's *******s, cracked it.

So when he talks about Neville it's 100% the truth, when he talks about Cahill or under one sub 30 it's *******s, cracked it.
Nope. When he talks about realistic options like Neville/Downing/Cole it's true and when he talks about players that went to City and Chelsea it's true.

He just listed two types of players - awful ones and ones we couldn't ever get. Somewhere in the middle there's the likes of Berbatov, Modric and Bale who he thoroughly failed to identify.

True.

However, many people aren't aware these days that winning the FA Cup used to be considered to be as big a deal as winning the league.

I recall the FA Cup final day being a huge event back when we last won it in 1991 but am not old enough to remember the days when it was as glorious an achievement as becoming league champions... just hope I live long enough to see Spurs win either of those major trophies again [-o<

Btk1g-fIYAA8aI8.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/thfcnostalgia/status/493484479043076096

B2etYYnCYAEAsVq.png:large

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/533585715787870209

Last edited:
So the votes are in, and the verdict is (excluding Interim Tim):

Old school pie and chips managers - 40 votes

New school tapas and paella managers - 14 votes

Nope. When he talks about realistic options like Neville/Downing/Cole it's true and when he talks about players that went to City and Chelsea it's true.

He just listed two types of players - awful ones and ones we couldn't ever get. Somewhere in the middle there's the likes of Berbatov, Modric and Bale who he thoroughly failed to identify.

You mean we couldn't get players like Remy and Cahill? One of them played for Bolton FFS!

I'm not quite sure what your point is regarding the second paragraph. Are you saying he should have signed Bale, Modric and Berbatov whilst he was at Portsmouth? I'm not entirely sure why any of those players would ever want to play for Portsmouth whether Steve Kean is the manager or Rafa Benitez.

IIRC we had a deal in place for Cahill on deadline day in of the August 2011 window, but pulled out at the last minute because we couldn't agree a suitable fee to sell Bassong with whoever it was. It was considered that King, Kaboul, Dawson, Gallas, Bassong and Cahill was a bit much.

Really regret that one now.

Yeah I agree but Chelsea weren't interested in him as long as we were as far as I recall.

How would you or any of us know how long any club is interested in any player before making a move? All we know is that when Spurs finally made a move for Cahill, Chelsea immediately followed suit (or perhaps even made their move just before us).

Besides all which, in the specific context of whether signing Cahill would have meant qualifying for the Champions League in 2011-12 (which is what this discussion is about, after all), it's arguable that Ryan Nelsen was no less dependable and capable an addition to the squad than Cahill would have been. Of course, Cahill had relative youth on his side and has since matured into an excellent Premier League central defender. But at the time, there was little to choose between them.

IIRC we had a deal in place for Cahill on deadline day in of the August 2011 window, but pulled out at the last minute because we couldn't agree a suitable fee to sell Bassong with whoever it was. It was considered that King, Kaboul, Dawson, Gallas, Bassong and Cahill was a bit much.

Really regret that one now.

Bassong was really good that season we first finished 4th, such a shame he seemed to peter out in to nothing

How would you or any of us know how long any club is interested in any player before making a move? All we know is that when Spurs finally made a move for Cahill, Chelsea immediately followed suit (or perhaps even made their move just before us).

Besides all which, in the specific context of whether signing Cahill would have meant qualifying for the Champions League in 2011-12 (which is what this discussion is about, after all), it's arguable that Ryan Nelsen was no less dependable and capable an addition to the squad than Cahill would have been. Of course, Cahill had relative youth on his side and has since matured into an excellent Premier League central defender. But at the time, there was little to choose between them.

That really isn't the point. Scara talked about players we had no chance of signing, players from Bolton shouldn't fit in to that list. We have managed to beat both Liverpool and Arsenal to numerous signings. All I know is, we were linked with Cahill in the press long before Chelsea.

Back