• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ex-managers: I'm pining for the past and cannot move on

Which Ex-Manager?

• Martin Jol

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Juande Ramos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Redknapp

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Andre Villas Boas

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Tim Sherwood

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
Re: So, the big elephant in the room...

Would have bought some players that know how to play football in England.

Phil Neville and Charlie Adam?

Redknapp's short-termism always leaves his clubs in a mess after he departs. It's worth remembering that the only two players signed during his 8 windows with us who survived him to any notable degree were Walker and Sandro.

Would have bought some players that know how to play football in England.

What.....you mean like Sigurdsson, Dembele, Dempsey and Adebayor?

Not to mention that the two bought from abroad, Lloris and Vertonghen, didn't exactly have bad seasons. ;)

It was the following season that Spurs bought too many untested players from abroad.

Redknapp's short-termism always leaves his clubs in a mess after he departs. It's worth remembering that the only two players signed during his 8 windows with us who survived him to any notable degree were Walker and Sandro.

You really need to stop saying this. For the last time, he wanted Cahill, Hazard, Vertonghen, Tevez and Remy among others. He left us in 4th place, hardly a mess.

In fact, I don't even know why I am bothering, your views are far from balanced when it comes to Redknapp. I am genuinely surprised you don't blame for him for us being bottom when he arrived, you blame him for everything else that went wrong the last 5 years.

How many of the jokers Baldini signed will still be here in 2 years time?

You really need to stop saying this. For the last time, he wanted Cahill, Hazard, Vertonghen, Tevez and Remy among others. He left us in 4th place, hardly a mess.

In fact, I don't even know why I am bothering, your views are far from balanced when it comes to Redknapp. I am genuinely surprised you don't blame for him for us being bottom when he arrived, you blame him for everything else that went wrong the last 5 years.

and how many will actually turn out to be really good, only time will tell

Why are Baldinis boys always brought up? How was Commolis first 12 months with the club? And were his signings in that time?

While it wouldn't have been a fashionable signing Phil Neville would've been a good option for us that January. It's not always about signing the youngest, sexiest, most technically brilliant dribbler. It is about looking at what the group is lacking (and sometimes it is character or nastyness as opposed to talent). Phil Neville was the only right back I saw who managed to mark Bale out of the game in the season under Harry when he exploded through as a superstar. Granted he did it in an experienced, niggly, fouling sort of way - but he did the job and nullified a brilliant player. I think it is these sorts of qualities that you don't consider. You'd have us with a team full of skillful foreigners who would get kicked up in the air and trounced every week.

Hopefully only 2 (Ericksen and Lamela).... Although both of those need to seriously pull their socks up for me to want that!

Which ones out of interest mate?

The point I was making was GB acts like HR only wants to sign geriatric old has beens and ignores the younget players he wanted to sign.

Wanting to sign and signing are different things - you can't deny the overall trend for players we signed under Redknapp were older players who were at their peak and it's this trend which meant when he left we were left with a squad which needed a lot of patching up as the squad players were no longer at their peak and there was no potential WC players coming through. I don't blame Redknapp for not thinking further down the line, that's who he is and it works for him (and it worked for us whilst he was here)

Why are Baldinis boys always brought up? How was Commolis first 12 months with the club? And were his signings in that time?

definitely took a while to appreciate some of his signings, I'm sure I was as guilty of that as anyone, Benni, Bale, Modric all got criticism at various points

I don't think we can blame redknapp for his first team policy, someone else at the club should have been thinking ahead though

definitely took a while to appreciate some of his signings, I'm sure I was as guilty of that as anyone, Benni, Bale, Modric all got criticism at various points

I imagine the negativity towards Baldini is down to the price of his signings as opposed to actual ability.

Arnesen was still the man though!

Because GB is determind to rubbish all of Redknapp's buys and acts like everything is hunky dory now i.e. the signings from the last 18 months have all hit the ground running.

Wanting to sign and signing are different things - you can't deny the overall trend for players we signed under Redknapp were older players who were at their peak and it's this trend which meant when he left we were left with a squad which needed a lot of patching up as the squad players were no longer at their peak and there was no potential WC players coming through. I don't blame Redknapp for not thinking further down the line, that's who he is and it works for him (and it worked for us whilst he was here)

I don't deny he signed older players, I also don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, but you need a balance.

What can he do if he wants younger players, but the chairman can't deliver (sometimes through no fault of the chairman)? Vertonghen was a Redknapp signing or was suggested to him and he did not disagree. Remy was a target for years and he signed him at QPR. Cahill was a target. Ageuro was a target, no matter how outlandish it was, it's not much more unrealistic than AVB wanting to sign Hulk and Moutinho, AVB gets support for wanting to sign those players and the chairman not delivering. That overall trend you mention is far less lopsided if some of those names I mentioned are signed. I'm honestly just a bit sick and tired of the likes of GB perpetuating the myth that Redknapp only wanted to sign Phil Neville, it's boring and it's factually wrong more than anything.

I don't deny he signed older players, I also don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, but you need a balance.

What can he do if he wants younger players, but the chairman can't deliver (sometimes through no fault of the chairman)? Vertonghen was a Redknapp signing or was suggested to him and he did not disagree. Remy was a target for years and he signed him at QPR. Cahill was a target. Ageuro was a target, no matter how outlandish it was, it's not much more unrealistic than AVB wanting to sign Hulk and Moutinho, AVB gets support for wanting to sign those players and the chairman not delivering. That overall trend you mention is far less lopsided if some of those names I mentioned are signed. I'm honestly just a bit sick and tired of the likes of GB perpetuating the myth that Redknapp only wanted to sign Phil Neville, it's boring and it's factually wrong more than anything.

I don't think so - signing young players with potential is a very key part of Levys plan for the club, so i see no reason why he'd stop backing a manager when he wants those types of players whilst at the same time spending on the types of players which go against his ideas - just doesn't add up to me. I think it's a possibility that he pressed Redknapp to sign younger players with potential - hence the links to Aguero, Suarez etc but HR dallied around or didn't give the ok

I don't think so - signing young players with potential is a very key part of Levys plan for the club, so i see no reason why he'd stop backing a manager when he wants those types of players whilst at the same time spending on the types of players which go against his ideas - just doesn't add up to me. I think it's a possibility that he pressed Redknapp to sign younger players with potential - hence the links to Aguero, Suarez etc but HR dallied around or didn't give the ok

I don't deny it's Levy's plan, but it's not out of the realms of possibilities to suggest it was partly Redknapp's too, hence the signings of Walker, Naughton, Palacios, Bassong and various others that were mooted.

Because GB is determind to rubbish all of Redknapp's buys and acts like everything is hunky dory now i.e. the signings from the last 18 months have all hit the ground running.

*** for tat arguments really ruin threads and take discussions OT. Why not just point out why GB is making a rubbish point?

Back