• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ex-managers: I'm pining for the past and cannot move on

Which Ex-Manager?

• Martin Jol

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Juande Ramos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Redknapp

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Andre Villas Boas

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Tim Sherwood

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
Re: Which Ex-Manager?

Of the 5 in the poll, all proved themselves ultimately inept - that's why they were sacked.

- Jol motivation but no tactics

- Ramos tactics but no motivation

- Redknapp motivation but no tactics

- AVB tactics but no motivation

- Sherwood no motivation and no tactics

So the question is akin to - who would you want back: a) Nethercott, b) Cundy, c) Vega or d) Bunjecevic

As usual I disagree with you....
Redknapp gave us both motivation and tactics - we had a clear gameplan and identity and that gameplan was also occasionally adapted depending on the opposition.
AVB gave us 'bad' tactics and no motivation.
Sherwood must've given us either motivation or tactics otherwise how on earth did he produce better results than our current manager with the same players? Unless you are saying something extremely derogatory about Pochettino (who you were always a big advocate of).

He didn't engineer the situation with England,he didn't ask terry to say what he said,he didn't ask capello to throw his toys out of his pram,if the fa told him straight off he wasn't in the running then things may have been different,PERHAPS,......who knows.....why shouldn't he ask for a new contract on his past record with us,no different from a player asking for new terms in their contract whose scored 20+ goals in the last three seasons,don't understand why that is so wrong. Didn't help that the goons went on a amazing run that year plus the debacle of the wba v goons game.

Since everyone assumes on most things on what happened around that period,i assume Levy and Lewis regret what they did a year or two later and even now of showing Harry the door.

Re: Which Ex-Manager?

Oi young laddie, I'm not that old!

Fair enough, Harry. T'riffic.

These cheeky whippersnappers are merely jealous of the fact that we are old enough to remember when Spurs were the undisputed kings of the FA Cup \o/

Whilst they have to live with the knowledge that Spurs have won precisely as much major silverware over the past 2 decades as lowly Leicester City!

He didn't engineer the situation with England,he didn't ask terry to say what he said,he didn't ask capello to throw his toys out of his pram,if the fa told him straight off he wasn't in the running then things may have been different,PERHAPS,......who knows.....why shouldn't he ask for a new contract on his past record with us,no different from a player asking for new terms in their contract whose scored 20+ goals in the last three seasons,don't understand why that is so wrong. Didn't help that the goons went on a amazing run that year plus the debacle of the wba v goons game.

Since everyone assumes on most things on what happened around that period,i assume Levy and Lewis regret what they did a year or two later and even now of showing Harry the door.
Approaching Rodgers when we played Swansea and asking him if he would join the England set up, does suggest that his mind was not completely on the job in hand.

Think who I voted for may be a touch obvious...with BMJ a close second.

Although if Burkinshaw was on there I would be changing my vote

I miss the time when we had less expectation, far fewer whingeing cun75, a bit of unity of purpose and a lot more fun.

[video=youtube;j2ZHSu6a__g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ZHSu6a__g[/video]

Re: So, the big elephant in the room...

I think things were a lot more complicated behind the scenes. There's a difference between showing interest and openly flirting. With the court case prior to that and the way he conducted himself in public, no, I don't think Levy could've handled things differently.

Yes, I can understand Harry wanting the England job and in all fairness he probably deserved it. But at the same time, we deserved more from him. Since the 5-0 trashing of Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home in February (3 days earlier Harry's court case was settled), we picked up 18 points out of a possible 39, eventually costing us a place in the Champions League. During that time the England rumours were in overdrive.

The club stood by Harry during his court case but when the England rumours started flying, he handled things poorly. Always expressing interest but never really saying he wanted the job. Who knows what went on behind the scenes, but our form crashed and rumours circled that Harry's head had been turned. Admittedly, only rumours, but our league form doesn't lie.

Maybe Levy also got tired of our usual late season slump. The same thing happened the season before. 18 points out of a possible 39 in our last 13 games (Not that that's a valid measurement of any kind, could've been 15 or 12 games for that matter...).

For me Harry was a good manager. We played brilliant football at times under him and were in and around the Champions League. He had his limitations and maybe (a BIG maybe) never would've been able to take us further. At times I miss having him as manager, but in the end I think this was the only possible solution when you figure in everything that went on during those final months of his last season.

So he made some mistakes, we all do. I think part of the problem is people expect a perfect manager, but they don't exist. There is always going to be part of any manager we don't rate, and personally I'll take mouthing off to the press over dull football any day.
As for Poch, he's making mistakes now, but we can either support him so he can learn from his mistakes, or we can use them to hang him out to dry.

I miss the time when we had less expectation, far fewer whingeing cun75, a bit of unity of purpose and a lot more fun.

[video=youtube;j2ZHSu6a__g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ZHSu6a__g[/video]

Jol made going to the Lane fun again and started the ball rolling with turning us around. For that I will be eternally grateful. Turning us around was probably the hardest job of the lot too.

Redknapp achieved the most. Two top four finishes and that Champions League campaign were huge achievements.

It was right for both to go though, as it was the other managers in the poll.

I'm happy with one up front, it's getting support for that player and numbers in the box which we need.

Of course sacking harry was a mistake, look where we are now and where were then, anyone who says different is either called Daniel, was totally sucked in by money ball (even though it has never proven a success in football) or in complete denial (sticking to their guns even though they are out of bullets).

Sacking him was a huge **** up, not even sure if there is a debate to be had there. The debate is around whether sacking Sherwood was a **** up as well.

Indeed, there is no debate to be had. Harry had only himself to blame.

Don't bother mate, I've tried saying the same thing on here many times and am constantly ignored.

A bloke coming towards the end of his career sees an opportunity of his dream job and people are aghast that he had the temerity to show interest.

Nothing wrong with Harry chasing his dream job.

But you can't have it both ways.

Because there's equally nothing wrong with his employers at the time being less than enamoured with his failure to show any loyalty, at least in public.

Especially after the way in which Spurs had supported him to the hilt during his trying court battle with HMRC.

Demanding a new contract the moment Hodgson was appointed rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way too.

Mate...sadly, if people continue to revisit Harry Redknapp here, we will end up in a decade with the most saintly and successful Spurs manager of all-time who was shockingly turned away just after he'd delivered his finest-ever managerial effort. But some will always know ;-)

FFS seriously? Why? I don't see the need to merge at all?

My thread wasn't intended as a 'pining for the past', it was more a question of considering where the club is now and how we're performing was it a mistake to get rid of Redknapp? IE: Are we in the mess we're in now due to Redknapp being sacked? Would we be in this state if Redknapp hadn't been sacked?

I thought each of the threads were bringing up some great conversations, now it's just a mish-mash mess.

Absolutely no need.

No. We are arguably in the mess we're in now due to Redknapp. I know that earlier you said something about people begrudging him wanting the England job. No. Not even close.

I have repeatedly said that my biggest single gripe with Redknapp is that he took his eye off the ball for two half-seasons running (court case one year, England job and court case the next) when even 80% of his focus in the final 3 months would've comfortably seen us in 4th and 3rd and thus CL. I can break this down if you really want me to, but the facts are out there. Oh, I also did not like the fact that he tried to absolve himself of any responsibility whatsoever. It was everyone else's fault.

So, IF yo believe what I believe, then yes, he cost us big-time.

You don't think Levy should have given him a telling off (once the England job had gone, and not for wanting the England job, but for taking his eye off the Spurs ball) and a new contract (which Harry wanted) with a buy-out clause to prevent it happening again?

I think it went deeper than merely Harry's behaviour re the England job and taking his eye off the ball at Spurs.

Another contributing factor was Harry's constant undermining of Levy in the media - the worst and highest profile incident being Harry's failure to toe the party line during the Modric saga in summer 2011. Levy had taken the rare step of speaking to the media and categorically ruling out any sale. The media wouldn't let the story go, of course, but all Harry had to do was refer back to Levy's comments. But no........he couldn't keep his fat gob shut. After a few weeks, he openly stated that Spurs ought to sell. It was an appalling public betrayal of both his chairman and the club. It enraged me and most other fans at the time. I can only imagine how angry it must have made Levy. To rub salt into the wounds, later that season, Harry typically tried to claim credit for Modric not having been sold! It really beggars belief.

The final straw was likely Harry going to see Levy about a new contract immediately after he failed to land the England job. But not in a humble, somewhat contrite way. No, he and his newly appointed agent, Paul Stretford, tried to play hardball with Levy, aggressively demanding a massive pay rise. Not a clever move in the light of what had happened over the previous four months. It was especially insensitive for Harry to have behaved thus during the week that Levy was still observing the Jewish period of mourning for his late mother.

Mate...sadly, if people continue to revisit Harry Redknapp here, we will end up in a decade with the most saintly and successful Spurs manager of all-time who was shockingly turned away just after he'd delivered his finest-ever managerial effort. But some will always know ;-)

So we just carry on burying our heads in the sand and keep changing managers every fourth Wednesday after a new moon is that it?

Back