• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

I wonder if this league, if it goes ahead, will have rebranding like Super League Rugby did or like US Football, so we might see

Barcelona Dragons
Emirates Marketing Project Chiefs
Liverpool Steelers (see what i did there?)
Chelsea Cheetahs (and there?)
Real Madrid Raiders
and depending if we end up in bed with a US Football team, Tottenham Hotspur Titans or Jaguars

Surely we'd be the Tottenham Bottlers, the arse could be Greenwich Meme Time.

Chelsea and City would both be the Oilers.

Sky about to wheel out the Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish to eat his own words live on television.

Protests already

I'm not sure if that would be enough. If you look at carrot and stick approaches to stopping it:

- stick: I think there would need to be massive demonstrations, marches etc to stop it. Empty stadium next year (not from covid!) perhaps, assuming next season happens. A few hundred fans outside grounds I dont think will make a difference.
- carrot: this is where it would have to be - UEFA will need to cave and negotiate some different entry rights or protection to try to stop them creating this league. I dont see the clubs being able to be bullied by UEFA

I'm still not getting the principle?

One commercial/overbranded competition that does nothing for us as a club vs. another commercial/overbranded one that protects us?

The trust/supporters want to protect UEFA and the FA? (the same FA that has repeatedly not helped us, especially with the stadium?), is that principle?

There is a principle of not making something already not ideal, even worse. Yes the new set-up works for us because we are in it, but I can't see right now how it's good for the clubs left behind. You can argue that's not our problem, and maybe it won't be, but we'd be viewing this differently if we were one of the many clubs not included, and whilst Tottenham Hotspur Football Club is my one true football love, I still love other aspects of the game which I believe will be lost or at least weakened because of this move. I don't think, as you suggest, that the fan Trusts are explicitly wanting to protect UEFA or the FA - organisations they have long battled with. They just want to protect the ideal of football (whatever that might be) from becoming even more a mere plaything for the moneymen.
I've said elsewhere it's good for Tottenham and it's better to be in than out, but let's not pretend it's good for English football as a whole.
And that was my point - fans, including the Trust, have a choice to make - fight against the whole thing, or accept it's happening and work on the detail of how fans can be best treated. I'd happily protest against the whole concept, but if it is going to happen, I'm not sure I am altruistic enough to protest against my club being a part of it. I know that makes me a huge hypocrite, and I hate myself for it, and I am really not sure where my head is on the whole thing right now.

I wonder if there is another PL team potentially involved, Everton or Leicester maybe?
There is this thing about the 14 clubs can pass a motion in the Prem, which I think was supposed to insulate against a super league. So I guess if this does cause an issue we just invite the next ranked team who will side with the founders, which will provide some amusing turnarounds given the examples I’ve seen shared by self righteous fans of clubs not playing involved protesting today!

A dumbed down description of this is that the top-6 would be pursuing their own commercial interests via a private tournament, which wouldn’t leave enough schedule to partake in UEFAs European competitions.

So I guess the question is does this break PL rules? Will the PL and government bring in rules to disqualify teams that do this? Should they?

I think the gov getting involved is laughable (they are most likely worried about streaming costs being via Google rather than Sky UK working class rip off), but should it be the PL remit to tell clubs what they can do outside of the PL?

A dumbed down description of this is that the top-6 would be pursuing their own commercial interests via a private tournament, which wouldn’t leave enough schedule to partake in UEFAs European competitions.

So I guess the question is does this break PL rules? Will the PL and government bring in rules to disqualify teams that do this? Should they?

I think the gov getting involved is laughable (they are most likely worried about streaming costs being via Google rather than Sky UK working class rip off), but should it be the PL remit to tell clubs what they can do outside of the PL?

there is no logic for any government involvement here, its just an excuse to try and win a few votes

Back