• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

But if they then qualified for a European competition they wouldn't be eligible to enter - that undermines the league as a competition.

I would be surprised if it isn't a requirement on entry to the league already that you agree to participate in the UEFA competition if selected (IE by league position or any alternative oddity created - remember when teams go in for having the least cards?!). If it's not, it quickly would be.
UEFA could also take the route that a club that doesn't supply teams based suitably on merit wouldn't be allowed to compete - no country association would risk that.

As i said they can redraw the plans anyway they want.
Teams in the esl don't go into the uefa competitions.
So then you have the highest after that getting into the cl, after that the el....

Interesting. The premier league statement doesn't mention uefa or fifa at all.

"Further to today’s opinion, the Premier League reiterates its commitment to the principles underpinning the current balance of domestic and European competitions including:

- Open access
- Annual merit-based qualification from domestic leagues for European club competitions
- Weekends reserved for domestic football
- Substantial solidarity funding for football development"

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2985264

Think negotiations will start soon.

As i said they can redraw the plans anyway they want.
Teams in the esl don't go into the uefa competitions.
So then you have the highest after that getting into the cl, after that the el....

You can, yes.
But it's highly unlikely any association would tolerate that as it would undermine the competition.

You asked how this kills the ESL.
The answer is it kills politically, not legally.

You can, yes.
But it's highly unlikely any association would tolerate that as it would undermine the competition.

You asked how this kills the ESL.
The answer is it kills politically, not legally.

How does teams going into the esl instead of another competition undermine the pl?

The pl have released a statement basically outlining what they want the new competition to be.

- Open access
- Annual merit-based qualification from domestic leagues for European club competitions

If the esl matches that they'd agree if the money is right. As would everyone else. Unless they think uefa is some sort of paragon of virtue.

How does teams going into the esl instead of another competition undermine the pl?

The pl have released a statement basically outlining what they want the new competition to be.

- Open access

If the esl matches that they'd agree if the money is right. As would everyone else. Unless they think uefa is some sort of paragon of virtue.
If the ESL matched that then the conversation changes.
As it stands it's a closed shop competition.

If the ESL matched that then the conversation changes.
As it stands it's a closed shop competition.

Which is why i said they can redraw the plans anyway they want. The negotiations will be starting now.

The main problem is that they have to do it fast, cause uefa can ban them from next seasons cl which will hurt. Or they keep it quiet and announce again when everything is in place.

Can’t see this happening anytime soon. Current situation looks like clubs would have to withdraw from their current domestic and continental competitions to set up a new league. Would appear to be a big gamble. Also not helped that one of the 3 hanging on, publicly at least. Appears to be in turmoil with their board having all just resigned.

Can’t see this happening anytime soon. Current situation looks like clubs would have to withdraw from their current domestic and continental competitions to set up a new league. Would appear to be a big gamble. Also not helped that one of the 3 hanging on, publicly at least. Appears to be in turmoil with their board having all just resigned.

You're probably right. A huge amount would have to go into it. Who officiates? Tv/streaming/sponsorship deals. Negotiations with domestic leagues... It's on the table though. There will have to be talks.

I'm not even sure what the ruling means in some respects. Can uefa punish clubs for planning a competition? Or do they have to take part in one (play a game)?

- Open access

So basically a new tier of European football above the CL - or instead of the CL? Merit based qualification is the essence of what the proposed super league ISN'T supposed to be, so I'd be surprised if that happens.

- Open access

The point of the ESL was to guarantee the constituent clubs perpetual entry into a top tier European competition no matter the state of the teams actual performance. They aren't going to change the entry requirements and make it completely merit based as that would make the entire process pointless.

It's basically dead as an elitest competition for the giants of European football.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

The point of the ESL was to guarantee the constituent clubs perpetual entry into a top tier European competition no matter the state of the teams actual performance. They aren't going to change the entry requirements and make it completely merit based as that would make the entire process pointless.

It's basically dead as an elitest competition for the giants of European football.

Yet that is what they are proposing.

Reichart said the revamped Super League project will be more inclusive with "sporting merit applied," which was one of the main criticisms of the initial plan.

"The concept of a fixed [guaranteed] placement is not something that we are currently considering," he added. "Sporting merit will be applied to all members of that Super League."

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uef...ject-is-very-much-alivecould-relaunch-in-2025

So basically a new tier of European football above the CL - or instead of the CL? Merit based qualification is the essence of what the proposed super league ISN'T supposed to be, so I'd be surprised if that happens.

See my post above.

There were many many criticisms of the ESL and the fact they think the idea of introducing relegation is a big deal just highlights how far into the night these people are.

Still waiting as well to see if/when the government will bring in legislation to cover the findings of the fan-led review, one of which would mean fans of a club needing to approve an ESL type move before a club could join.

Yet that is what they are proposing.

Reichart said the revamped Super League project will be more inclusive with "sporting merit applied," which was one of the main criticisms of the initial plan.

"The concept of a fixed [guaranteed] placement is not something that we are currently considering," he added. "Sporting merit will be applied to all members of that Super League."

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uef...ject-is-very-much-alivecould-relaunch-in-2025
But that is what they proposed. That is what caused the furore in the first place. If as I said it's now dead as a concept for exclusively pseudo elite clubs, what's the point? It won't be offering anything different than the overly bloated CL already does.

There were many many criticisms of the ESL and the fact they think the idea of introducing relegation is a big deal just highlights how far into the night these people are.

The old proposal is gone. We still have to see what any new proposal is.

But that is what they proposed. That is what caused the furore in the first place. If as I said it's now dead as a concept for exclusively pseudo elite clubs, what's the point? It won't be offering anything different than the overly bloated CL already does.

More money for the clubs, they have more control, salary cap that is enforced, more competitive games...

The premier league has relegation, but how many of the big 5 that proposed it have been relegated since it's launch?

More money for the clubs, they have more control, salary cap that is enforced, more competitive games...

The premier league has relegation, but how many of the big 5 that proposed it have been relegated since it’s launch?

It’s all short term.

Leeds and Blackburn were top clubs at the outset, overspent, fell into the abyss. Saudi Sportswashing Machine have beaten this path too.

It was always a big two, but with Arsenals success a big three, then Chelsea, now we also have City, Spurs and Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Nothing in England needs to be locked in. There is also scope for powers to emerge from Yorkshire and the Southwest, perhaps Wales.

If anything we should be shaking off the European fleas. Perhaps we could invite the money grubbing clubs to join in the first round of the FA cup.

It’s all short term.

Leeds and Blackburn were top clubs at the outset, overspent, fell into the abyss. Saudi Sportswashing Outfit have beaten this path too.

It was always a big two, but with Arsenals success a big three, then Chelsea, now we also have City, Spurs and Saudi Sportswashing Outfit.

Nothing in England needs to be locked in. There is also scope for powers to emerge from Yorkshire and the Southwest, perhaps Wales.

If anything we should be shaking off the European fleas. Perhaps we could invite the money grubbing clubs to join in the first round of the FA cup.

I don't want the super league. I want the eu to come up with proper rules for football that make it more fair and competitive. But that is unlikely.

I'm just pointing out that this is most likely going to happen.

Back