• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

Which makes sense. UEFA/FIFA couldn't stop an alternative league being set up, but are in their rights to say you can't participate in our competitions if you participate in the new one. Which then potentially makes clubs in a new super league less attractive to players* if those players can't participate in a World Cup for example, and how do the national FAs deal with this? Then again, FIFA risks making its own competition less attractive if the best players can't participate.

[*$$$ might help ease the pain.]

I still believe it will happen eventually, it's just a question of format.

I think this will be the last FIFA world cup, whatever happens. They are so toxic as an organisation now, it's only a matter of time before the breakaway starts

If I've got this right, have the courts just found in favour of FIFA-UEFA and blocked the breakaway on anti-competition laws, even though FIFA-UEFA are monopolies?

It reminds me of the brilliant Monster Raving Looney Party policy to split up the Monopolies Commission.

If I've got this right, have the courts just found in favour of FIFA-UEFA and blocked the breakaway on anti-competition laws, even though FIFA-UEFA are monopolies?

It reminds me of the brilliant Monster Raving Looney Party policy to split up the Monopolies Commission.

No.

The clubs can set up their own competition (esl) but uefa and fifa can stop them playing in the champions league and other competitions they run.

It would still be a permanent pool of superclubs with a few specially invited guests each season. It will suck.
Just about every new format of a competition has the masses claiming it will be rubbish etc before the thing has started. Fast forward a few years and it is just part of every day life and no one bats an eyelid. Take the Europa League for example, even the new Conference League has generated excitement. When the ESL happens, and it will - there will be mass outrage like we saw previously, and then within a couple of years it will just be the status quo. There might be some adjustments to be made, but it will be here to stay….

Am i missing something? Media are saying this spells the end for the esl. But that is not what the judgement said. Just that they they can't play in both esl and uefa competitions. Which they weren't going to anyway.

Am i missing something? Media are saying this spells the end for the esl. But that is not what the judgement said. Just that they they can't play in both esl and uefa competitions. Which they weren't going to anyway.
The idea is that the domestic leagues are not going to allow their clubs to join a league that ultimately devalues their own competition further. An league format will eventually become the defacto competition, it is not in the PL, La Liga, Seria A etc's interest to support the formation of a Super League that will eventually replace them.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

The idea is that the domestic leagues are not going to allow their clubs to join a league that ultimately devalues their own competition further. An league format will eventually become the defacto competition, it is not in the PL, La Liga, Seria A etc's interest to support the formation of a Super League that will eventually replace them.

This ruling has nothing to do with domestic leagues though. The esl would be in competition with the cl. The clubs would still compete in their domestic leagues.

If there is more money from ESL than CL clubs they wont give a brick, the TV companies will love it as clubs with armchair fans will buy it. UEFA will be back track as they lose revenue and strain their relationship with FIFA. FIFA and EUFA might try banning players from international competitons but they will give them more legal problems.

It's only ever going to be a midweek league though. Teams just playing the same amount of games as if they get to the latter stages of the CL/EL.

So it shouldn't really effect domestic leagues and cups

It's only ever going to be a midweek league though. Teams just playing the same amount of games as if they get to the latter stages of the CL/EL.

So it shouldn't really effect domestic leagues and cups

Only if it's a closed shop. Then there will be further courtcases.

This ruling has nothing to do with domestic leagues though. The esl would be in competition with the cl. The clubs would still compete in their domestic leagues.
You're misunderstanding what I was saying. I know the ruling is not about the domestic leagues. Those who think this kills off the super League are those that think the Super League would eventually replace the domestic league in terms of importance and eventually participation and therefore the domestic leagues would not allow their teams to join. Whether that analysis is accurate remains to be seen.

This has to go back to the madrid court that brought the case for the final ruling.

Obviously that judge is on madrids side, hence bringing it up in the first place. So we'll see what they say.

You're misunderstanding what I was saying. I know the ruling is not about the domestic leagues. Those who think this kills off the super League are those that think the Super League would eventually replace the domestic league in terms of importance and eventually participation and therefore the domestic leagues would not allow their teams to join. Whether that analysis is accurate remains to be seen.

That was what i was asking. Why are the media saying this ruling kills the super league? It doesn't.

Not necessarily. They can redraw the plans anyway they want. Have seperate divisions with promotion and relegation. Their own cup competitions etc...

The reason it will get boring is because after a bit the inevitable hype dies down and what are you left with? The leagues remain relevant because fans can easily travel to games, they have ties to areas, lots of work gossip and banter etc about games. You won't get all of that with the ESL, it would just get dull really quickly and you'd end up in the same spiral where the elite of the elite earn even more money and the poorer of the elite have less money and worse squads.

But if they then qualified for a European competition they wouldn't be eligible to enter - that undermines the league as a competition.

I would be surprised if it isn't a requirement on entry to the league already that you agree to participate in the UEFA competition if selected (IE by league position or any alternative oddity created - remember when teams go in for having the least cards?!). If it's not, it quickly would be.
UEFA could also take the route that a club that doesn't supply teams based suitably on merit wouldn't be allowed to compete - no country association would risk that.

That was what i was asking. Why are the media saying this ruling kills the super league? It doesn't.
Maybe not legally. But it does practically and it also increases the risk of alienation, and probably an existential risk, if you join the Super Lge and it doesn't go well.

Once the dust has settled down, another 18 months or so would be my guess, the tv companies when get on board, respin it as something else and milk the fans.
Fifa/eufa
The tv companies
The really big clubs
In that order all want more money, national leagues are sacrosanct but the CL is coming to the end of its life cycle.
A deal will be worked out and the ordinary punters squeezed.

Not necessarily. They can redraw the plans anyway they want. Have seperate divisions with promotion and relegation. Their own cup competitions etc...
That's my thinking too, and with the state of FIFA right now, I think a new football organisation could gain traction if done properly.

But if they then qualified for a European competition they wouldn't be eligible to enter - that undermines the league as a competition.

I would be surprised if it isn't a requirement on entry to the league already that you agree to participate in the UEFA competition if selected (IE by league position or any alternative oddity created - remember when teams go in for having the least cards?!). If it's not, it quickly would be.
UEFA could also take the route that a club that doesn't supply teams based suitably on merit wouldn't be allowed to compete - no country association would risk that.

Then they are their own court cases and challenges. Not to do with this one.

Back