• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

As far as I understand, it’s not so much where a company/business/organisation is based but rather if that organisation, regardless of location, conducts any business inside the EU, then it has to abide by EU competition law.

Yes. If fifa held a competition in the us they would have to abide by us law not eu law (in regards to that competition). But as both uefa and fifa are based in switerland (which uses eu law) if the ecj ordered their break up, unless they moved they'd be broken up.

Well at least with the Juventus board resigning that might mean it’s just two clubs left hanging on.

All 12 are hanging on. Just not officially.

Court decison in the next couple of weeks. Then it may come up again (obviously not in the same format as originally proposed).

Wonder what happens to barca, juve and madrid now? Guessing the presidents of the 2 spanish clubs will have to resign. See what the clubs punishments are.

Anything that greasy, scheming Agnelli fcukwit wanted, I wanted nowt to do with. Good riddance.

Load 'em all into trebuchets and fire 'em over the horizon.

Maybe not as dead as first thought.

A release from the court stated: “While ESLC (European Super League Company) is free to set up its own independent football competition outside the UEFA and FIFA ecosystem, it cannot however, in parallel with the creation of such a competition, continue to participate in the football competitions organised by FIFA and UEFA without the prior authorisation of those federations.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...uropean-court-justice-uefa-fifa-b1047391.html

A release from the court stated: “While ESLC (European Super League Company) is free to set up its own independent football competition outside the UEFA and FIFA ecosystem, it cannot however, in parallel with the creation of such a competition, continue to participate in the football competitions organised by FIFA and UEFA without the prior authorisation of those federations.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...uropean-court-justice-uefa-fifa-b1047391.html
Those clubs would then need to evaluate if a super League was financially beneficial enough to be worth abandoning participation in their existing competitions and the flack and potential loss of prestige in doing so.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Which makes sense. UEFA/FIFA couldn't stop an alternative league being set up, but are in their rights to say you can't participate in our competitions if you participate in the new one. Which then potentially makes clubs in a new super league less attractive to players* if those players can't participate in a World Cup for example, and how do the national FAs deal with this? Then again, FIFA risks making its own competition less attractive if the best players can't participate.

[*$$$ might help ease the pain.]

I still believe it will happen eventually, it's just a question of format.

Those clubs would then need to evaluate if a super League was financially beneficial enough to be worth abandoning participation in their existing competitions and the flack and potential loss of prestige in doing so.

That might be another courtcase as the esl would not be in direct competition with their domestic leagues. Also would la liga really kick out real, atletico and barca? Or serie a juve, milan and inter?

Which makes sense. UEFA/FIFA couldn't stop an alternative league being set up, but are in their rights to say you can't participate in our competitions if you participate in the new one. Which then potentially makes clubs in a new super league less attractive to players* if those players can't participate in a World Cup for example, and how do the national FAs deal with this? Then again, FIFA risks making its own competition less attractive if the best players can't participate.

[*$$$ might help ease the pain.]

I still believe it will happen eventually, it's just a question of format.

If uefa did ban players from their competitions fifa could then launch the world cup every 2 years and let them play.

I can't see a league with the same superclubs playing each other year after year lasting more than a few seasons as long as the CL still exists. It will be really boring and the fans and sponsors won't give them as much money as they think they'll get

I can't see a league with the same superclubs playing each other year after year lasting more than a few seasons as long as the CL still exists. It will be really boring and the fans and sponsors won't give them as much money as they think they'll get

It won't be in the format originally proposed. Guessing they'd change the format to make it more appealing.

It won't be in the format originally proposed. Guessing they'd change the format to make it more appealing.

It would still be a permanent pool of superclubs with a few specially invited guests each season. It will suck.

It would still be a permanent pool of superclubs with a few specially invited guests each season. It will suck.

Not necessarily. They can redraw the plans anyway they want. Have seperate divisions with promotion and relegation. Their own cup competitions etc...

Back