• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2020

Great post mate and its good to see that there are some who are thinking about the situation instead of just ranting about their pet hates. WELL Done.
Cheers. Quite a bit easier with me not being a fan I think though.
Definitely a positive future there for England. Experience and imo even age is huge at the end of international tournaments, this England side should only get better in years to come.

Yes but...if the manager can't find a way to play attacking players, all the hard work of the rest is a bit of a red herring.
A great shame that the penalty shoot out allowed racist clams to spout their vile nonsense. I sincerely hope there are very very few people who approved or smiled over that racist tweet. But as for Boris and the "watermelon smiles", the context is one of extreme sarcasm...he is taking the tinkle out of Blair and the idea of deference to a white lord or white Queen. But I appreciate that Boris is a marmite figure....suggest politics is kept away from Glory-Glory as far as possible.
That's true of course.

I think more experience in those attacking players makes it a lot easier to play more of them though.

If Southgate is worried about risk taking, turnovers, defensive work etc more big games at the highest level could/should make those players easier to trust in that regard.

The lack of real creativity, playmaker ability deep in midfield could remain a concern if Southgate stays and no obvious candidate steps up.

It's being said that Southgate has looked to France and Portugal to see what works. He hasn't really emulated or tried to emulate a Pogba or Moutinho role. Perhaps that's just a shortage of options. Perhaps Phillips or Bellingham can step up to take on that task at this level.

I admit I've never really supported England. From East London, black, nobody around here does. I see myself as more a Londoner than English. To us the St George's Cross just represents' skin head hooligans doing their causal racism and smashing brick up. It's a strange feeling to be apart from everyone, you just feel disconnected, I was born and raised here but I know it's not my home. How can a country that elects a man who is racist claim to be a home for all. I know people who were hoping that none of the black players messed up every game cause they knew what would happen.

Anyway, I had started to warm to this particular team, they all seem decent people and no clams, not the greatest team but likeable. No John Terrys.

Then the final whistle went and it all came back to me why I don't support England or feel English. All the clips of violence and the abuse online.

View attachment 12263
Cheers for posting. Don't know what to say other than that. Wish I had something sensible to say other than fudge those people.

If taking the knee is politics then so is the poppy.
Did they boo the intrusion of the british military into football? No. They lapped that up.

They booed it because they are racists.
They should be booing all of those intrusions.

Sports people have an inordinate level of influence compared to their ability to understand and reason political issues. They're in that position because of their sporting prowess, not by will of the electorate.

For those reasons, sports people should not be picking political winners and losers, no matter how good the cause. Imagine if someone as loved as David Beckham started supporting anti-Semitic causes. There would be hundreds of thousands who followed him, if not more.

Plus gesture politics is for clams.

If taking the knee is politics then so is the poppy.
Did they boo the intrusion of the british military into football? No. They lapped that up.

They booed it because they are racists.

And because The Daily Mail and Daily Express implied that they should.

I admit I've never really supported England. From East London, black, nobody around here does. I see myself as more a Londoner than English. To us the St George's Cross just represents' skin head hooligans doing their causal racism and smashing brick up. It's a strange feeling to be apart from everyone, you just feel disconnected, I was born and raised here but I know it's not my home. How can a country that elects a man who is racist claim to be a home for all. I know people who were hoping that none of the black players messed up every game cause they knew what would happen.

Anyway, I had started to warm to this particular team, they all seem decent people and no clams, not the greatest team but likeable. No John Terrys.

Then the final whistle went and it all came back to me why I don't support England or feel English. All the clips of violence and the abuse online.

View attachment 12263

Wow. So very well articulated. Thank you. I actually feel sick reading that - your comments that is, never mind the screen grab which is beyond outrage.
What can I say? You were born here. This absolutely IS your country, every bit as much as it is mine (and I am the child of Irish immigrants, but hey, white, so less of a problem). But I understand why you feel that it isn't. It's shocking. I will call racism out when I come across it, but on the bigger scale, I really don't know what the answer is, apart from the slow route of education.
And for anyone who might think this is sidetracking the thread, I don't apologise because whilst some England so-called fans make it an issue, it's relevant to a Euro thread.

Yeah I didn't mean to derail the thread.

I'm actually lucky I think. Lived in East London for all my 39 years never really experienced the wider English mentality.

I don't know anyone who sees in colour. All of the people I know are full of love. Even on here (even Scaramanga).
I’ve said it a lot lately….
The England team is made up of a lot of players from a lot of different backgrounds and therefore skin colours
If these Neanderthals what to support the team they better start accepting that’s it’s gonna get more and more diverse as these players and the next generation isn’t going away
Social media is a toxic platform as it’s too easy for clams to be clams and get away with it
The companies needs to be made to be accountable and the individuals need to be punished. It’s simple

I'm actually lucky I think. Lived in East London for all my 39 years never really experienced the wider English mentality.

I don't know anyone who sees in colour. All of the people I know are full of love. Even on here (even Scaramanga).
fudge you too ;)

On a positive, I think most on here find the whole jingoistic England thing unpalatable. Just look at the spelling of the England thread ridiculing the whole bandwagon. Similarly, most of the country is not racist (probably not jingoistic either). Social media and camera phones are a blessing and a curse.

Thankfully racist acts are easily recorded and exposed now - that has to be a good thing. But online media also gives a platform to the mugs who used to be left in the shadows.

Similar applies to 'all the violence'. There is probably a lot less violence around football than there used to be. The 70s and 80s saw a whole lot more. There just wasn't someone on hand with a mobile camera unit eager to boost their views on Twitter. These representations do affect people. They affect how society feels. But it isn't always representative.

One thing we can be proud of is Spurs ethics. All teams have idiots, but we seem to have less than some clubs.

It’s just so selective
When we win…. Their English (even if some were Irish not that long who)
When we lose their monkey emojis (which pass a social media filter) or the N word
Or other words that I won’t repeat
And the bell end scummy clams writing it remain hidden or claim they have been hacked
I wish they would have the courage of their convictions and at least admit it. They want to abuse they should face up to their words
We lack accountability in this country more and more. There is too much scope for people to plead ignorant or pass the buck. It has to change. It’s fudging abhorrent and it’s creating a culture of what’s next
Anti social media is being used measure of society when it’s miles form the truth. It needs stopping and deleting basically

It’s just so selective
When we win…. Their English (even if some were Irish not that long who)
When we lose their monkey emojis (which pass a social media filter) or the N word
Or other words that I won’t repeat
And the bell end scummy clams writing it remain hidden or claim they have been hacked
I wish they would have the courage of their convictions and at least admit it. They want to abuse they should face up to their words
We lack accountability in this country more and more. There is too much scope for people to plead ignorant or pass the buck. It has to change. It’s fudging abhorrent and it’s creating a culture of what’s next
Anti social media is being used measure of society when it’s miles form the truth. It needs stopping and deleting basically

But it's not just social media (not saying you are suggesting it is just that).
I posted last night, someone near me, almost immediately after the penalties, said it was the black players who missed because they can't deal with the pressure.
No hiding behind an anonymous name. Denied he was racist of course. Yet couldn't see (or chose not to see) the racism in his automatic first thought at that time being about the colour of the players' skin rather than despair/disappointment/anger/whatever at England losing
It's too easy to blame it on 'social media warriors' when it's actually all around us.
If you hear it, call it out.

But it's not just social media (not saying you are suggesting it is just that).
I posted last night, someone near me, almost immediately after the penalties, said it was the black players who missed because they can't deal with the pressure.
No hiding behind an anonymous name. Denied he was racist of course. Yet couldn't see (or chose not to see) the racism in his automatic first thought at that time being about the colour of the players' skin rather than despair/disappointment/anger/whatever at England losing
It's too easy to blame it on 'social media warriors' when it's actually all around us.
If you hear it, call it out.
Yeah I agree
But for me social media is where it gets momentum but also where there is a physical record of someone’s comments.

But as you say… if you hear it, call it out

Name and shame. Point the finger. Make them feel worse than the person their abusing

Aside from being proud of the England team, I thought it was a great Euros. Around 2.75 goals per game I read somewhere. Took a while to get going and started horribly with the collapse of Eriksen but there were so many great stories and thrilling games; Eriksen recovering and an inspired Denmark reaching the semis, Switzerland knocking out France, England finally beating Germany, the Belgium v Italy game, Spain v Croatia. I recall euro 2008 being really good but this was the best euros ever for me. Euro 96 will always be special but the standard of football was just much higher in this competition.

Just for an example of how warped social media is to reality. Take up for the vaccine is between 80-90% for over 40s. Go on youtube and look at any sky story on covid. Down votes will outnumber upvotes. The comments wont have anything to do with the content. We're in the grey zone warfare.

Example

There are powers trying to manipulate you to hate.

Reactions: DTA
What, the same fans that sing No Surrender and Ten German Bombers? That get upset if a player doesn’t want to wear a poppy?

They’re the ones that want politics kept out of football?
No, the vast majority of the fans that don't sing those songs.

Or are you lumping them all in together because of their nationality?

Back