• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2020

I admit I've never really supported England. From East London, black, nobody around here does. I see myself as more a Londoner than English. To us the St George's Cross just represents' skin head hooligans doing their causal racism and smashing brick up. It's a strange feeling to be apart from everyone, you just feel disconnected, I was born and raised here but I know it's not my home. How can a country that elects a man who is racist claim to be a home for all. I know people who were hoping that none of the black players messed up every game cause they knew what would happen.

Anyway, I had started to warm to this particular team, they all seem decent people and no clams, not the greatest team but likeable. No John Terrys.

Then the final whistle went and it all came back to me why I don't support England or feel English. All the clips of violence and the abuse online.

View attachment 12263

That chilled me.
Thank you for posting it, needs to be seen.

I am also really worried about how many partners suffered last night at the hands of someone who thought that tweeting abuse wouldn't ease their frustration but punching somebody would. And the wife/girlfriend was closest to hand.
The online abuse can get seen by others and reported. Domestic abuse and violence is much easier to be hidden and unreported, with (I expect) far more victims.

That chilled me.
Thank you for posting it, needs to be seen.

I am also really worried about how many partners suffered last night at the hands of someone who thought that tweeting abuse wouldn't ease their frustration but punching somebody would. And the wife/girlfriend was closest to hand.
The online abuse can get seen by others and reported. Domestic abuse and violence is much easier to be hidden and unreported, with (I expect) far more victims.

Both issues are separate and horrendous

The domestic violence one is stunning statistically (imagine your thoughts on unreported)
- 38% increase in domestic violence after England loss
- 26% increase in domestic violence after win/draw
- clear links to alcohol, drinking kick off times as well.

Pretty fudging embarrassing as a country

Every country has good and bad. I would say to anyone. Live abroad for a few years. You will appreciate what we have a bit more. But you will probably not want to live here.

Coming back was hard to adjust. It's not who's prime minister, taking the knee, racism. It is everyone is stressed. We have the whole work/life balance fudged up. About what we want not what we have. We are destroying ourselves.

no, not at his best, but the other two would have been outperformed by a traffic cone

better than Henderson is a low bar

Henderson is a far better player than Dier, and I don’t rate Henderson very highly at all. We’ve all seen how crap Dier has been even at his preferred position and yet he will probably still start 30 games for us next season. That’s depressing.

Every country has good and bad. I would say to anyone. Live abroad for a few years. You will appreciate what we have a bit more. But you will probably not want to live here.

Coming back was hard to adjust. It's not who's prime minister, taking the knee, racism. It is everyone is stressed. We have the whole work/life balance fudged up. About what we want not what we have. We are destroying ourselves.

Yes, every country has it's good and bad, that's why we should try to learn the best bits (not the worst) from each other.

But messaging is important, people in power, taking the knee, it needs to be clear "this is not acceptable"

It is clear in the UK, certain types of behavior, substance abuse and attitudes while not "approved of" seem accepted (way it's been), add in the very blatant class divides it hasn't been easy to push progress.

Definitely a positive future there for England. Experience and imo even age is huge at the end of international tournaments, this England side should only get better in years to come.

Yes but...if the manager can't find a way to play attacking players, all the hard work of the rest is a bit of a red herring.
A great shame that the penalty shoot out allowed racist clams to spout their vile nonsense. I sincerely hope there are very very few people who approved or smiled over that racist tweet. But as for Boris and the "watermelon smiles", the context is one of extreme sarcasm...he is taking the tinkle out of Blair and the idea of deference to a white lord or white Queen. But I appreciate that Boris is a marmite figure....suggest politics is kept away from Glory-Glory as far as possible.

I admit I've never really supported England. From East London, black, nobody around here does. I see myself as more a Londoner than English. To us the St George's Cross just represents' skin head hooligans doing their causal racism and smashing brick up. It's a strange feeling to be apart from everyone, you just feel disconnected, I was born and raised here but I know it's not my home. How can a country that elects a man who is racist claim to be a home for all. I know people who were hoping that none of the black players messed up every game cause they knew what would happen.

Anyway, I had started to warm to this particular team, they all seem decent people and no clams, not the greatest team but likeable. No John Terrys.

Then the final whistle went and it all came back to me why I don't support England or feel English. All the clips of violence and the abuse online.

View attachment 12263

International football is the pits.
Sport in general in international form is heading the same way, but football leads the way in attracting the dregs of society.
And its not just in England.
At the risk of sounding like a total self righteousness idiot i ignore anything to do with my nationality, and anyone else's. It is not relevant to who i am, or who they are.
If they are a clam, they are a clam, nothing to do with where they were born.
Going your own way, in a small group that you can identify with morally and culturally, be true to yourself and try and be the best you can, this is what we need to strive for.

International football is the pits.
Sport in general in international form is heading the same way, but football leads the way in attracting the dregs of society.
And its not just in England.
At the risk of sounding like a total self righteousness idiot i ignore anything to do with my nationality, and anyone else's. It is not relevant to who i am, or who they are.
If they are a clam, they are a clam, nothing to do with where they were born.
Going your own way, in a small group that you can identify with morally and culturally, be true to yourself and try and be the best you can, this is what we need to strive for.

Labels are always the path to fudging horrendous human behaviour, be it nationality, heritage, religion, it's the easiest path to us vs. them

He was timid, when he needed to be brave.

You just have to watch the game. And watch the Spain game. Italy are not a great side. Play your game well, at home, and England will win that 9 times of out 10 with decent managment. We were well prepared and played well for 40 mins, then lost confidence, shape and leadership after 40 mins.
Oh boy you are wrong! They are a great TEAM! no star players, but everyone works their socks off for each other. That is exactly what is the difference between a good and a great team.

Labels are always the path to fudging horrendous human behaviour, be it nationality, heritage, religion, it's the easiest path to us vs. them

Only label i accept is that i'm me.
Fudge up or act like a clam its my fault.
Take responsibility, the highs and lows are your own.
Don’t let others label, define or stereotype you, and if they do realise that is their issue, not yours.
Respect others.

Oh boy you are wrong! They are a great TEAM! no star players, but everyone works their socks off for each other. That is exactly what is the difference between a good and a great team.

I'd say they are a rung below great. As well as fighting for each other you need some real quality to be called great. Wimbledon were famous for fighting for each other and team ethic. No one would call them great on that basis. My posts yesterday outlined Italy have a fantastic team ethic. Still think England should have beaten them with greater confidence and belief. 1-0, at home, Ciasa going off, there is no doubt we were the more potent side.

It is what it is. Think we should have been more aggressive and just gone for it in the second half. Or at least hit them on the counter with sterling.

We didn't. But all in all we got to a final. 52 in europe didn't.

I'd say they are a rung below great. As well as fighting for each other you need some real quality to be called great. Wimbledon were famous for fighting for each other and team ethic. No one would call them great on that basis. My posts yesterday outlined Italy have a fantastic team ethic. Still think England should have beaten them with greater confidence and belief. 1-0, at home, Ciasa going off, there is no doubt we were the more potent side.
They were the best team in every game they played In the tournament, they haven't lost in over 30 games, and they won the European Championship. Not too shabby, so obviously had enough quality.

The Italians were the best at grinding out results. Each to their own, that doesn’t make them a great side in my book, al be it a highly effective one.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Depends on what metric you use. Is football about results or entertainment?

What makes football entertaining? Goals? Moments of skill?

I think we need a mixture. 96 was a better tournament for me.

Back