• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

The fella has played at the absolute pinnacle of the game and over a sustained period of time. A competitive PL club, played in the Champions League, played at the World Cup. But he's not talented?

I get he isn't everyone's cup of tea but Jesus.
If we are talking in the grand scheme then yes he's talented, he's in the top 1% of people in the world who play football but then all professional football players are. Realistically we are talking relative to his peers and in that regard then no he isn't a talented defender.

It's not hate it's just an objective assessment of his abilities based on watching him play.

If we are talking in the grand scheme then yes he's talented, he's in the top 1% of people in the world who play football but then all professional football players are. Realistically we are talking relative to his peers and in that regard then no he isn't a talented defender.

It's not hate it's just an objective assessment of his abilities based on watching him play.
You missed the words “in my opinion”

I say that because he has frequently been in his national side which is one of the very best so again he hits a higher threahold

I’d argue he is in the 0.001% of world footballers with that scale

It’s not even relative to the top 1% of people in the world that he’s talented. It’s a minuscule fraction of that.

If you want to compare him to very top Premier League or International players, yeah he’s not at that level, certainly at this stage if ever. But comparing lads at the upper end of football and designating some of them untalented is misleading terminology. If you’d said he wasn’t top level or he wasn’t elite, I think most could probably agree with that. Saying he’s not talented infers something else entirely.

It’s not even relative to the top 1% of people in the world that he’s talented. It’s a minuscule fraction of that.

If you want to compare him to very top Premier League or International players, yeah he’s not at that level, certainly at this stage if ever. But comparing lads at the upper end of football and designating some of them untalented is misleading terminology. If you’d said he wasn’t top level or he wasn’t elite, I think most could probably agree with that. Saying he’s not talented infers something else entirely.
Well I thought it was obvious I was speaking relatively just as the post I responded to probably was otherwise mentioning him being talented is irrelevant. Of course he is compared to the vast majority of people who play the game. But to call him talented in relation to the very top of the game is untrue, he is not talented in that respect.

Edit.

All in respect of him playing CB. As a RB or even DM my view of him is different. He had lots of merits in those positions.

That was my thought too and it’s unlike Ange and what he’s talked about in terms of togetherness and respect which leads me to believe that Dier may have done something to provoke him. I could be way off but he’s killed Dier with that answer there.

Read like a love letter to me after what I've seen written on here about Dier.

If he ends up at Bayern, it’ll be another giant egg-on-face moment for the ‘Dier is crap’ phalanx. As for people who think Bayern Munich are going to buy someone because Harry Kane told them the two were mates and he wants a pal, take a look at yourselves. Dier is going there because it is a deal which makes sense for them, because he is a very good player, and because they play differently to us thus making him a fit for their club.

Clubs get signings wrong all the time. Arsenal signed Jesus. Barca signed Paulinho. We’re signing Timo Werner! Strange signings happen in football. I hope this move comes off and he can have a successful career away from Spurs, but I can’t hide my happiness that he won’t be in our squad for much longer.

Would be fairly happy for us and him to see him leave. For us because that would mean we've brought in what we expect to be a better player for us.

He was a really good player. He's still a good player, but needs to be in the right system to be so now.

Don't really understand why that right place would be Bayern, but so be it.

Well I thought it was obvious I was speaking relatively just as the post I responded to probably was otherwise mentioning him being talented is irrelevant. Of course he is compared to the vast majority of people who play the game. But to call him talented in relation to the very top of the game is untrue, he is not talented in that respect.

Edit.

All in respect of him playing CB. As a RB or even DM my view of him is different. He had lots of merits in those positions.

People on here take criticism of Dier personally for some reason and I’ve never got why. More so than any other player. The fact that he’s still here is a failure on our part more than anything else. It’s not his fault he’s not up to the required standard. I’ve never questioned his commitment and love for the club.

People on here criticize Dier personally for some reason and I’ve never got why. More so than any other player. The fact that he’s still here is a failure on our part more than anything else. It’s not his fault he’s not up to the required standard. I’ve never questioned his commitment and love for the club.
Fixed it for you

People on here take criticism of Dier personally for some reason and I’ve never got why. More so than any other player. The fact that he’s still here is a failure on our part more than anything else. It’s not his fault he’s not up to the required standard. I’ve never questioned his commitment and love for the club.

Said it in the match thread, Royal and Davies being better in that CB pairing than Dier is an indictment on his current levels.

Hope he gets a move (works for all), hope he can figure out how to make it work for himself (right system/position/whatever)

Back