• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

He has always been a very good player he suffered from illness and his game was off. A lot of fans turned on him and wrote him off but since returning he has shown how important he is to our side.
No he couldn't make it in def mid under Poch and occasionally featured in CB. With verts gone JM put him there and tried to make something with him in a low block but we were still leaking goals. Conte came in, added a 3rd CB and it worked for Dier especially as it limits his exposure.

No he couldn't make it in def mid under Poch and occasionally featured in CB. With verts gone JM put him there and tried to make something with him in a low block but we were still leaking goals. Conte came in, added a 3rd CB and it worked for Dier especially as it limits his exposure.

Time for some facts.

2014/15 - 36 games played (25 Prem)
2015/16 - every PL game bar one missed for suspension as a holding midfielder
2016/17 - 46 appearances spread between holding midfield and defence
2017/18 - 47 appearances mostly back in holding midfield role
2018/19 - appendix removal in December, still managed 28 appearances
2019/20 - struggled with injury and suspension, loss of form, picked back up but lowest numbers at Spurs app-wise
2020/21 - 39 appearances in defence
2021/22 - 40n appearances total, part of 8 clean sheets in final 12 to get back in CL

He has 47 England caps and has skippered the national side 5 times

He has not had the best week of his career. He has also played virtually every available minute of the season. I know that results such as today give comfort to those who enjoy a bout of confirmation bias, but IMO, it’s wide of the mark and ignores statistical fact. He has, for every manager who has been here, been a very important member of the squad. Fact.

He has played over 1300 minutes so far this season (excluding England). Could be a bit on the fatigued side.

Absolutely. I spoke on our pod about how I am afraid he is riding the redline in terms of physical and mental fatigue. It is bordering on criminal that we have virtually no rotation for him.

Time for some facts.

2019/20 - struggled with injury and suspension, loss of form, picked back up but lowest numbers at Spurs app-wise
2021/22 - 40n appearances total, part of 8 clean sheets in final 12 to get back in CL

He has not had the best week of his career. He has also played virtually every available minute of the season. I know that results such as today give comfort to those who enjoy a bout of confirmation bias, but IMO, it’s wide of the mark and ignores statistical fact. He has, for every manager who has been here, been a very important member of the squad. Fact.

Why let the facts get in the way of a good bitch.

Time for some facts.

apperances speak little to the quality dier offers.

i can remember much much better players playing holding mid and defence throughout those years above.

Ok for Dier to make up numbers when we had dembele, wanyama, toby and verts ... but after they'd gone our defence has been a few levels lower with dier consistently featuring. and he's been under the tutelage of the most defensive coaches in the world in mourinho and conte!

I'm not Dier's biggest fans, but we certainly look better with him in the team than out overall. That said, i'd have loved him to have been rotated more...he does look knackered

I'm not Dier's biggest fans, but we certainly look better with him in the team than out overall. That said, i'd have loved him to have been rotated more...he does look knackered
He's a solid player but IMO, he looks better with Romero next to him. With that said, I think the whole team looks better with Romero playing vs. Sanchez. Even with three midfielders, our CBs cannot find passes, especially with Romero out. Our WBs haven't been the most reliable out-balls either and it seems like the opposition managers are exploiting our particular weakness of playing out from the back.

I feel bad for Dier in that he has no real backup or competition, but that also enables him to be picked without any hesitation unless he's injured. I don't blame him for his performances flagging recently, he's got to be so exhausted.

He's a solid player but IMO, he looks better with Romero next to him. With that said, I think the whole team looks better with Romero playing vs. Sanchez. Even with three midfielders, our CBs cannot find passes, especially with Romero out. Our WBs haven't been the most reliable out-balls either and it seems like the opposition managers are exploiting our particular weakness of playing out from the back.

I feel bad for Dier in that he has no real backup or competition, but that also enables him to be picked without any hesitation unless he's injured. I don't blame him for his performances flagging recently, he's got to be so exhausted.
TBF that’s less on Romero and more on who plays instead of Romero
If we had a cover player who was capable on the ball it wouldn’t be an issue. Sanchez is not that man
Imagine one who could play central and right

Dier has been fine and it's to Contes credit that his tactics can cover for limted players in a way that Mourinho couldn't but ultimately he is not good enough on the ball and still makes frequent errors - i would be amazed if Conte is not looking to upgrade both CCB and LCB starting positions as priorities

TBF that’s less on Romero and more on who plays instead of Romero
If we had a cover player who was capable on the ball it wouldn’t be an issue. Sanchez is not that man
Imagine one who could play central and right
I mean of course no player is irreplaceable (assuming you have the money), but Romero does offer that defensive stability and forward-passing that our other CBs seem to lack. If we had a cover player that could do what Romero could do, they wouldn't be a cover player. They'd be playing as CCB or maybe even LCB despite this imaginary player being right-footed.

Again, what I'm saying isn't some indictment of any particular player in our defense; it's just that as a whole, our defenders are a bit average when comparing to other PL clubs. IMO, it's not as hard as some people are making out to upgrade on some of these CBs. We're not Manchester United ffs, we should be able to get in good players.

I mean of course no player is irreplaceable (assuming you have the money), but Romero does offer that defensive stability and forward-passing that our other CBs seem to lack. If we had a cover player that could do what Romero could do, they wouldn't be a cover player. They'd be playing as CCB or maybe even LCB despite this imaginary player being right-footed.

Again, what I'm saying isn't some indictment of any particular player in our defense; it's just that as a whole, our defenders are a bit average when comparing to other PL clubs. IMO, it's not as hard as some people are making out to upgrade on some of these CBs. We're not Manchester United ffs, we should be able to get in good players.
TBH there ain’t that many good CBS in the top sides
Arsenal have saliba who has started well there but the others haven’t been great despite the hype
City have 2 and the new lad who may be good
Pools look dead
Chelsea are replying on old men now
Uniteds… we will see.
its slim pickings IMO

apperances speak little to the quality dier offers.

i can remember much much better players playing holding mid and defence throughout those years above.

Ok for Dier to make up numbers when we had dembele, wanyama, toby and verts ... but after they'd gone our defence has been a few levels lower with dier consistently featuring. and he's been under the tutelage of the most defensive coaches in the world in mourinho and conte!

Sorry, this is simply not true. Ask the managers who continued to pick him. I think the appearances show you they saw, and see, Dier’s qualities.

As for the ‘Dembele, Wanyama’ comments, not exactly sure what you’re suggesting. Dembele flattered to deceive, lovely player but did we win anything with him? Did he help us through our biggest games? In fact, facts tell us we got through our biggest games under Poch without him (CL 2019). Wanyama? Couldn’t stay fit sadly. As for defence being ‘a few levels lower’ I think we can safely say that there has been plenty of blame to share around.

Your ire for Dier remains consistent though, and we all have our opinions of course. But I don’t think it is based in fact TBH. Just the fact you don’t like him.

I think it is worth watching the three. Romero is wonderful in many ways, but needs at least one misposition/error covered pretty much every game. I won’t bother with who usually covers ;-)

Arsenal have saliba who has started well there but the others haven’t been great despite the hype
Pools look dead
Uniteds… we will see.
its slim pickings IMO

Saliba is good but I think he will show weaknesses fast if the midfield ahead of him switches too much. He has already made some mistakes. It happens to all…

Pools look dead
Uniteds… we will see.
its slim pickings IMO
Think we missed out not going for Nathan Collins during the summer

I think it is worth watching the three. Romero is wonderful in many ways, but needs at least one misposition/error covered pretty much every game. I won’t bother with who usually covers ;-)

Every player makes at least one error a game, some get punished and become a stick to beat them with, some don't get punished and are swiftly forgotten.
Its a sad fact that for many varied reasons fans have their tribal loyalties even among there own players.
We all do it, we all have favourites, players we have a soft spot for and at the other end of the spectrum there are players and managers we just can't take to.
I for instance can't understand the love for jol, thought he was a very good manager for us and did a lot of good work, but don't get love certain fans have for him.
Humans are fickle bunch.

Back