• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

If he gets the level of funds we have had since the stadium started producing it'll be a level above the N's player days if we're honest.
We are (as most clubs are) looking for a manager that can bridge some of that financial gap by being talented (wow what a concept). There are plenty examples of managers who have done and are doing just that. We have had our own example already, and he had less finances available to him than this new man will.

Fwiw I think the starting point isn't too bad for this type of manager. We have many players to shift but where we need to improve is pretty obvious. We can focus on those areas knowing the squad doesn't need to be massive given domestic football only. Mix in some interesting young players that are more than just academy boys (Spence gil udogie sarr Porro skipp) and I think he'll think there's enough to get us working.

Partly agreed, but I think the tactical issue with this bloke is that he seems to prefer a very open 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 where the full backs come inside to overload the middle and the wingers stay out wide. At least, that's what the Coaches Voice article on him said.

That is the polar opposite to this squad - literally the worst possible fit for the players we have.
  • We don't have the centerbacks for a back two. Romero is too adventurous, Dier too crap, Davies too crap, Sanchez too crap, Tanganga too crap.
  • In Udogie and Porro, we have arch-wingbacks who thrive on providing the width in their teams. Ditto Sessegnon and Perisic. But these are not the sort of underlapping FB/CBs he seems to want.
  • You could feasibly see Emerson and Davies playing those roles, but then, whither Porro, Udogie, Sess and Spence? That's about 120m in fees there.
  • Also, he seems to want to be a possession-based team, which Emerson and Davies are not suited for.
  • On wide forwards staying wide, neither Son nor Kulu do that. Both come inside onto their stronger foot. Bryan does stick to the line, but he's probably off back to Sevilla.
  • We have no midfield three worth the name, but rather a series of players best suited for a defensive double pivot - Skipp, Biss, Betancourt, Sarr, Hojbjerg. Much of a muchness, can't hold the ball, can't progress it.
  • Lastly, the one player we have who is perfect for this system (and all systems, really) is off to Madrid.
To shape a squad to his approach will require major, sustained, expensive surgery, and that will be while replacing Kane, and Lloris as well.

This is why I didn't ever want Luis Enrique - we needed so much of an overhaul to suit his system that it wouldn't have been worth it.

In this case, either this bloke adapts to our squad (and then, accepts a slooooow transition that many will not have patience for), or he spends two years struggling and then fudges off because he's only got a two-year deal. Either way, not ideal.

Partly agreed, but I think the tactical issue with this bloke is that he seems to prefer a very open 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 where the full backs come inside to overload the middle and the wingers stay out wide. At least, that's what the Coaches Voice article on him said.

That is the polar opposite to this squad - literally the worst possible fit for the players we have.
  • We don't have the centerbacks for a back two. Romero is too adventurous, Dier too crap, Davies too crap, Sanchez too crap, Tanganga too crap.
  • In Udogie and Porro, we have arch-wingbacks who thrive on providing the width in their teams. Ditto Sessegnon and Perisic. But these are not the sort of underlapping FB/CBs he seems to want.
  • You could feasibly see Emerson and Davies playing those roles, but then, whither Porro, Udogie, Sess and Spence? That's about 120m in fees there.
  • Also, he seems to want to be a possession-based team, which Emerson and Davies are not suited for.
  • On wide forwards staying wide, neither Son nor Kulu do that. Both come inside onto their stronger foot. Bryan does stick to the line, but he's probably off back to Sevilla.
  • We have no midfield three worth the name, but rather a series of players best suited for a defensive double pivot - Skipp, Biss, Betancourt, Sarr, Hojbjerg. Much of a muchness, can't hold the ball, can't progress it.
  • Lastly, the one player we have who is perfect for this system (and all systems, really) is off to Madrid.
To shape a squad to his approach will require major, sustained, expensive surgery, and that will be while replacing Kane, and Lloris as well.

This is why I didn't ever want Luis Enrique - we needed so much of an overhaul to suit his system that it wouldn't have been worth it.

In this case, either this bloke adapts to our squad (and then, accepts a slooooow transition that many will not have patience for), or he spends two years struggling and then fudges off because he's only got a two-year deal. Either way, not ideal.
I'm intrigued to see what he does or actually what any manager does. Freedom from the awful 3 at the back that we have sadly halfway built towards. I can't say I know much about his philosophy, he's not a coach I'm too aware of so it's very much a clean slate for me but he does have his work cut out like you say forming a functional system out of the Hodge podge of players we have. That's the main reason I think getting players out is as important as getting new faces in this summer.

We need to lessen the distraction by removing the rot. I don't want him to see positive qualities in the likes of Dier, Sanchez or Davies. I don't want him to waste his and our time trying to improve the unimprovable.

Something resembling a semblance of a system preferably forward thinking and I'll take top 8. It's a rebuilding year and it's going to have to be painful. It should have happened earlier but alas it NEEDS to happen this summer.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Not sure about that to be honest:) BUT he will become a legend here if he gets us winning something, lets be honest Poch walks on water for some of us and he won nothing. If this guy does that ( winning a trophy) he will be a GHod.
Success with Spurs would eclipse anything any new manager could achieve with Madrid, Barca, Utd, City, Chelsea, Liverpool. It’s already been done there before.

What would define success at Spurs?
Poch to his credit set the bar very very high.

Success with Spurs would eclipse anything any new manager could achieve with Madrid, Barca, Utd, City, Chelsea, Liverpool. It’s already been done there before.

What would define success at Spurs?
Poch to his credit set the bar very very high.

Well winning something would be a good start, not knocking Pooch at all but if the new guy actually wins a trophy and at the same time plays good football he will be a hero and rightly so.

Yes we have indeed done our usual and lurched from a manager with a specific system to another with a completely different one, having spent a reasonable amount of money on players suited to the old manager’s system.

Postecoglou is likely to need a fair amount of time and a reasonable number of players to be successful at our club. I hope he gets those things but history suggests to me that managers don’t tend to at Spurs.

Would absolutely love to be proved wrong by him and (more pertinently) Levy here.

Last edited:
Jesus, he has not signed yet but we already have the usual suspects bitching about what he may beable to do.
Oh come on, people are allowed to discuss how they think it will go under this manager, style of play and likelihood of success. What we don't need are posts criticising those discussions and causing polarisation from the start. I am excited by us having a new manager but cautious nevertheless given our history and hopeful that this time will be different. It's in Mr Levy's hands to make this guy a success and he hasn't got a great track record. Especially when we might lose our best player.

Agree with Enrique, he was always going to require a massive squad overhaul, not only a system manager but one that required super technical players as well.

Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga, Sess were probably always on the way out (not a system problem, just not good enough)
New GK, CB & CM were always on the list
Think you are doing Bentancur a disservice, he can hold a ball, progress, score, only weakness is he's not a top tier passer (decent)
Bissouma will do fine, he and Bentancur will likely be leagues above anything Ange has had at his disposal, yes we still need the creative player ((see above)
I expect to see Gil get a good look with Ange

Considering the levels of teams he's managed, he's probably very accustomed to not having the exact personnel expected, big bonus.

Agree with Enrique, he was always going to require a massive squad overhaul, not only a system manager but one that required super technical players as well.

Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga, Sess were probably always on the way out (not a system problem, just not good enough)
New GK, CB & CM were always on the list
Think you are doing Bentancur a disservice, he can hold a ball, progress, score, only weakness is he's not a top tier passer (decent)
Bissouma will do fine, he and Bentancur will likely be leagues above anything Ange has had at his disposal, yes we still need the creative player ((see above)
I expect to see Gil get a good look with Ange

Considering the levels of teams he's managed, he's probably very accustomed to not having the exact personnel expected, big bonus.
A fair few on here think Sessegnon will be leaving. I personally think that is quite unlikely.... Not just because he is an association trained player and we don't have an abundance of those but also because he should have the attributes to play for Postecoglou.

A fair few on here think Sessegnon will be leaving. I personally think that is quite unlikely.... Not just because he is an association trained player and we don't have an abundance of those but also because he should have the attributes to play for Postecoglou.

Sess can't play for anyone, regardless of what your opinion is (I personally think he's no hope), simply can't stay fit

He can't manage to play for ten games, Lamela has played more for Sevilla this season than Sess in last two seasons for us, imagine Lamela being literally twice as fit as a player.

Sess can't play for anyone, regardless of what your opinion is (I personally think he's no hope), simply can't stay fit

He can't manage to play for ten games, Lamela has played more for Sevilla this season than Sess in last two seasons for us, imagine Lamela being literally twice as fit as a player.
'More for Sevilla'.... you said it. Lamela also couldn't stay fit at Spurs. Maybe we'll have a review of the medical team as well as part of our restructure?

I watched Sessegnon play under Conte in season 2021/22 and have players of the quality of Saka and Salah in his pocket defensively. That sort of talent isn't something that we should give up on. If he has certain injury issues (I think it is hamstrings with him) then we need to get a really good program going to allow the player to work through that.

'More for Sevilla'.... you said it. Lamela also couldn't stay fit at Spurs. Maybe we'll have a review of the medical team as well as part of our restructure?

I watched Sessegnon play under Conte in season 2021/22 and have players of the quality of Saka and Salah in his pocket defensively. That sort of talent isn't something that we should give up on. If he has certain injury issues (I think it is hamstrings with him) then we need to get a really good program going to allow the player to work through that.

Lamela's last 4 season's for Spurs he played more than Sess's best season for Spurs, better context?

We will have to disagree re Sess, he has the attributes but not the confidence, the shirt is too much for him (he's never been the Fulham player for us) and his fitness is a real problem. There is only so long you can wait for a player to make his breakthrough.

• In Udogie and Porro, we have arch-wingbacks who thrive on providing the width in their teams
I listened to an Italian footy expert last night on a pod, saying Udogie is not a wingback. He does not stay wide when the ball is on the other side, he drives up field and tries to arrive in the centre of the box to score. He tackles hard. He will need to get up to Prem standards of referees not blowing for every contact. He does not stay wide and cross it. He will cut it back if he is wide. He will run and run. He will receive deep and drive forwards, dribbling at speed and head for goal. He is very dynamic.

Overall we have quite a lot of good players and I agree Ange will adapt his formation to fit our players into a system which suits them. E.g. No point trying to make Porro a full back, no point trying to make Royal a wingback etc. Hopefully Ange will actually talk to Mason et al and find out our players weaknesses, so he can play them in positions of strength.

In a time where stability is needed I think Levy is taking a big risk with Ange. For whatever the results, someone proven will get more patience or even accolades.

Nuno winning manager of the month didn't help him: Ange would be wise to understand and address the underlying reasons why the players could not work under Mourinho and Conte earlier than later.

I'm a bit concerned about the player council of whatever you call it. I mean it's fine if the top players have the Ceo's ear but an average player is naturally not going to suggest that he gets replaced.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Back