• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

F1, NFL & EPL in London, plus top draw events like concerts, rugby & boxing

If someone wants stadium naming rights, or to buy, the cost is going to be far above comparables

F1, NFL & EPL in London, plus top draw events like concerts, rugby & boxing

If someone wants stadium naming rights, or to buy, the cost is going to be far above comparables

Exactly, all about brand association, top brands associated with and mentioned by other brands....top ££ that

Strengthens the US market again which is the market the clubs going for

Not many links to a takeover though despite that tweet, some papers are saying it could point towards that but nothing of any major source with intel.

I would say it is definitely another step to a huge US stadium sponsor and would be hugely shocked if that does not happen

We had similar rumours of aeg taking over during the os bid. Doubt there is anything in it.

Yet for the majority of history of football in this country it was more equally distributed. Only the start of the prem changed things.

Consider it social democracy.
I think things would have changed anyway, PL or not. Premier League was just a rebranding exercise. Things such as the Bosman rule, increased TV coverage bringing English football to all corners of the world, as well as the fact that English football is so much more competitive compared to other countries' leagues (if anything, the PL kinda changed that), which makes it more appealing and marketable, would have happened regardless. And now that the toothpaste is out of the tube, it's going to be extremely difficult to try to level the playing field. I would have loved for the good old days to continue where any team could win the title and the teams with more money could maybe buy one star player every now and then, rather than hoard all the talent and tilt the scales.

And the problem is bigger than just football. In most capitalist economies the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" is widening. It's unfortunate, really, but that is the state of affairs these days.

I think things would have changed anyway, PL or not. Premier League was just a rebranding exercise. Things such as the Bosman rule, increased TV coverage bringing English football to all corners of the world, as well as the fact that English football is so much more competitive compared to other countries' leagues (if anything, the PL kinda changed that), which makes it more appealing and marketable, would have happened regardless. And now that the toothpaste is out of the tube, it's going to be extremely difficult to try to level the playing field. I would have loved for the good old days to continue where any team could win the title and the teams with more money could maybe buy one star player every now and then, rather than hoard all the talent and tilt the scales.

And the problem is bigger than just football. In most capitalist economies the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" is widening. It's unfortunate, really, but that is the state of affairs these days.

I read an article years back by Alan Sugar which always struck with me where he said that you could come to a universal decision to halve wages of players across the board and the status quo would remain. He went on to explain that players would still be rich beyond their dreams, the rich clubs would still afford the same players they do now so would not disrupt the balance if all clubs stayed true to the model (Messi paid half would still be at PSG etc etc). Then the distribution of finances could be more evenly paid to even the clubs own staff which in my experience he has a point. You go to many PL clubs and their training grounds to a level are a dump, the off team staff are paid terribly and generally do the job because they have a passion for the club or the game.

I do think the league needed a rebrand though, coming off the back of the euro ban and the reputational damage the English game had at the time it was a disgrace to be associated with almost

I read an article years back by Alan Sugar which always struck with me where he said that you could come to a universal decision to halve wages of players across the board and the status quo would remain. He went on to explain that players would still be rich beyond their dreams, the rich clubs would still afford the same players they do now so would not disrupt the balance if all clubs stayed true to the model (Messi paid half would still be at PSG etc etc). Then the distribution of finances could be more evenly paid to even the clubs own staff which in my experience he has a point. You go to many PL clubs and their training grounds to a level are a dump, the off team staff are paid terribly and generally do the job because they have a passion for the club or the game.

I do think the league needed a rebrand though, coming off the back of the euro ban and the reputational damage the English game had at the time it was a disgrace to be associated with almost

it was, and it’s been massively successful, the game is unrecognisable from the hooligan riddled brickholes we had in the 80’s

I don’t think the wages are that crazy either, compare them to F1 drivers, NFL players, even movie stars like Tom Cruise

it was, and it’s been massively successful, the game is unrecognisable from the hooligan riddled brickholes we had in the 80’s

I don’t think the wages are that crazy either, compare them to F1 drivers, NFL players, even movie stars like Tom Cruise

I would say the management of finances, in general is poor though with clubs willing to pay top wages whilst they know they are close to effectively going out of business at the other end. Or clubs where one relegation and the staff that need their salary month to month lose their job and the players move on. Its more the financial mismanagement

I would say the management of finances, in general is poor though with clubs willing to pay top wages whilst they know they are close to effectively going out of business at the other end. Or clubs where one relegation and the staff that need their salary month to month lose their job and the players move on. Its more the financial mismanagement

I agree, its all well and good fans wanting spend spend spend as someone will come along and bail the club out, but there are still real world consequences for people on "normal" wages.

I think halving the wages would still have a bit of an impact in leveling the playing field. What would really push it to the next level, however, would be the introduction of some sort of salary cap, like they have in American sports. If you can only pay a certain amount for salaries, then you can ensure more parity. The leftover cash could then be invested in training grounds, off team staff, etc. And if you make it so that club trained players don't count towards the salary cap, you would see a significant investment in the academies too. Rich clubs currently do not need to develop players; they can simply buy the finished article. But in a salary cap world with an exception for club-trained players the development of players would hold the key to success. E.g. if under a salary cap you can only afford 2-3 star players on high wages, you will need to find the other 2-3 stars from your academies, if you want to compete. It's a win-win, whichever way you slice it. It makes the leagues more competitive, it incentivizes player development, it still ensure the top players get paid top dollar, and it spreads the wealth more evenly, since today City is the top team, but tomorrow it might be Watford and the next day Brighton, etc. Eventually, people would follow the PL, not City, or Spurs, or United. And if that is the case, no one or two or three teams would be able to command the lions's share of the TV and commercial revenue (eventually, since until these other teams start emerging, it will still go to the existing top teams).

Of course for this to work better it would have to be done across all leagues, not just the PL. If La Liga, for example, didn't have a salary cap, most players would opt to go there. But even then, there is only so much talent that leagues without a salary cap would be able to hoard. I know this will never happen, but it's an enticing proposition, nevertheless.

Last edited:

Forget the audacity of these trophyless midgets thinking they only had to turn up to win - I want to point out the deeper issues here.

I can confidently reel off by heart the players responsible for these cup exits - they have been the exact same for seven years, no great surprise. Eric Dier, Davinson Sanchez, Ben Davies.

Seven years of being either utterly mediocre (Davies), mostly useless (Dier) or an utter disaster of a footballer who would struggle in an U7s league in Davinson Sanchez.

However, they are still at the club, year on year - no other club has useless players sticking around for so long, we have kept them for 7+ years when they continually let us down. Why?

Likewise, we know that rotating away from our starting eleven means a guaranteed loss given how awful these lurking wastes of space are. Yet, we do it in the cups, without fail, every season - and lose, without fail, every season. Why?

Why is the midget mentality Stellini is referring to allowed to fester?

ENIC. That is why. The mentality of a club flows from the top down - and ENIC does not give a single damn about winning. Their priority is financial stability. And that bleeds through into every area of the club - our brick mentality on the pitch, our laziness and inability to replace these bombscares for nigh on a decade, our constant abandonment of the cups to focus on the lucrative top four.

It is the ENIC mentality, now riven throughout the club like a stench that will never go away. Glory - at reasonable cost.

We can get worked up about another cup exit all we want - ultimately, it comes down to the owners, and nothing will change at this club when it comes to winning, until that does.

Forget the audacity of these trophyless midgets thinking they only had to turn up to win - I want to point out the deeper issues here.

I can confidently reel off by heart the players responsible for these cup exits - they have been the exact same for seven years, no great surprise. Eric Dier, Davinson Sanchez, Ben Davies.

Seven years of being either utterly mediocre (Davies), mostly useless (Dier) or an utter disaster of a footballer who would struggle in an U7s league in Davinson Sanchez.

However, they are still at the club, year on year - no other club has useless players sticking around for so long, we have kept them for 7+ years when they continually let us down. Why?

Likewise, we know that rotating away from our starting eleven means a guaranteed loss given how awful these lurking wastes of space are. Yet, we do it in the cups, without fail, every season - and lose, without fail, every season. Why?

Why is the midget mentality Stellini is referring to allowed to fester?

ENIC. That is why. The mentality of a club flows from the top down - and ENIC does not give a single damn about winning. Their priority is financial stability. And that bleeds through into every area of the club - our brick mentality on the pitch, our laziness and inability to replace these bombscares for nigh on a decade, our constant abandonment of the cups to focus on the lucrative top four.

It is the ENIC mentality, now riven throughout the club like a stench that will never go away. Glory - at reasonable cost.

We can get worked up about another cup exit all we want - ultimately, it comes down to the owners, and nothing will change at this club when it comes to winning, until that does.
Sorry but those players aren’t the ones who can’t score a thing in these games
It does suit you argument but your argument is flawed
Kane came on and did nothing other than miss a free header… this is Kane, the best player I’ve ever seen
It’s an attitude thing that you could throw at the board TBF and it’s toxic but I don’t think it’s on those players you name. It’s all about how we as a club focus on these games … or dont

Sorry but those players aren’t the ones who can’t score a thing in these games
It does suit you argument but your argument is flawed
Kane came on and did nothing other than miss a free header… this is Kane, the best player I’ve ever seen
It’s an attitude thing that you could throw at the board TBF and it’s toxic but I don’t think it’s on those players you name. It’s all about how we as a club focus on these games … or dont
Thing is though if Kane is on from the start then he’ll probably get three of those type of chances and score at least one of them.

Back