• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

His work rate is exceptional...the best ve seen of any spurs forward

His finishing is in par with Andy Booths at times and that's being kind

His likup play is extremely good and he holds the ball up in a way only Berbs has done in recent memory.

Could we get better, yes! Who, I don't know but Remy is not that kind of player that Ade is. Remy looks like a good player by the way but more of a wide striker if that still exists

His likup play is extremely good and he holds the ball up in a way only Berbs has done in recent memory.

Could we get better, yes! Who, I don't know but Remy is not that kind of player that Ade is. Remy looks like a good player by the way but more of a wide striker if that still exists

Is that what Bale would be classified as now?
I think Bale lurking more in the middle is also affecting Ade's strike rate. I wish I had a chart to see how many shots Ade has taken in various games to see how much of an impact this has had. The players up top are given a lot of freedom and the plan only works if goals are coming in from all outlets. 10 goals and 6 assists so far from Ade, so he's definitely contributing to our goals even when he's not scoring. And when Ade takes a shot straight at the keeper, Bale takes one at one of the fans in Row Z (to ensure they are paying attention to the game, I presume).

He's not really cut out for the role of lone striker imo. Yes he has decent control but when surrounded by three / four defenders whose sole objective is to somehow get a foot in the instant the ball goes anywhere near him he needs to be better able to shield the ball, swivel and shoot on target all in the one motion - a rare skill that Clive Allen perfected brilliantly as lone striker back in the mid-80s when he notched 49 in one season. Seldom see him carry that skill off tbh.

On top of that he has to contend with diabolical linos.

Just to clarify, having started this thread, that I still rate Adebayor highly and appreciate what he brings to the team.

What's bothering me at the moment, though, is that he's not striking a balance between link up play and goal scoring. Too often, he seems to be in wide or deep positions, laying a ball off for a wide man...........who has no one to cross to in the penalty area.

That may not be Ade's fault. Almost certainly has much to do with the system we generally play (at least, when Defoe isn't on the pitch).

But it needs to be looked at nevertheless.

I personally think he is our most important player, in spite of his poor finishing. More important than Parker, King, Bale, Lennon and to an extent Modric.

He isn't as good as some of those players, but he is so important to the way we play. To implement the passing game that suits our team, we need a striker who can hold up the ball, pass, dribble and can most importantly create holes for himself and others with their movement. These things, in my opinion, come before finishing.

Comparing this season to last, our great strength this year has been breaking teams down, crushing them into submission at some point over the 90 minutes. Our tepid attack of last term could not do this at all. We picked up about 5 out of 18 possible points against the bottom 3 last year. Despite playing well in games such as Blackpool away, we also were poor against teams like West Ham. We've scored for 20 games on the bounce this year.

Obviously Bale, Lennon and Van Der Vaart have been brilliant for us in this respect compared to last year, but I think that is mostly down to Adebayor. Parker and Sandro have provided a more effective means of winning back the ball, along with Kaboul's dominance in the air, but I think it is in the final third where the most difference has been made this year. Adebayor is almost the perfect striker, and despite looking like an increasingly awful finisher, the package of other ridiculous attributes he has have allowed Lennon and Bale to have freer roles, with Bale especially proving his worth through the middle while Lennon has looked devastating on the left wing. As the 'number 9', Ade is the reference point for all of this movement, it happens around him and because of him. He takes up opposing centre-backs and drags them out of possession, he changes the passing angles from our midfield that the opposing defensive midfielders have to block, he causes confusion as to who is picking him up - he often finds himself at central midfield or on either wing. All of this creates holes in more central areas which Bale, Lennon and VDV can all attack (as well as Defoe when he's playing), along with occasional bursts from Modric and Parker.

Last season, we had no such holes opening up, Crouch was a good target man, and as Harry said the other day, if you have him in the team you have to play to his strengths, hit him early with long balls and crosses. He isn't the sort of man to open up space for the more technical players in the final third, and that is exactly what we need with our personnel. The same can be said of Defoe and Pav. While Defoe is an excellent goalscorer and Pav a decent one, they are primarily concerned with playing in and around the box, and their movement is far less intelligent than Adebayor's. As a result, we look far less potent in attack if Adebayor isn't playing.

I also don't agree that Ade spends too little time in the box. People moan about his finishing and then expect him to take up more positions in the box? That isn't his game, and as evidenced by the hatful on chances he seems to miss and get slated for every week, he is still taking up his fair share of goalscoring positions. He is a player who gives others the space to finish, which is what we need because even though that part of his game is poor, Bale and VDV are pretty clinical (poor today though), along with Defoe and Lennon, who looks increasingly deadly also. We are 3rd for a reason, our attack has struck a very nice balance.

Who exactly could we get that is better than him? Who would give us what I've outlined above? Not many I reckon, although I certainly agree that we need to be in the market for a young player with similar qualities to Adebayor, but who is preferably a better finisher. I don't reckon they would be as good as Ade yet though.

This. I still think he would definitely be worth signing though, especially if Defoe really wants to leave come summer. Then he could play Defoe's role in the squad as well as being competition for Lennon.

The problem is getting a young Adebayor. Coming 3rd would certainly help!

Adebayor was woeful today - so frustrating with little flicks and trying to be too clever. He's been brilliant up til now, but I feel he's getting a bit too big for his boots. We need someone to offer him some competition or we won't get the best out of him.

Also, I do not ever want to see Spurs contest a drop ball like that. There's winning and then there's winning with class - leave that gonad*s to the gooners and chavs.

What if we sell Pav, bring in Remy, then defoe wants out completely? Defoe is a proven goalscorer in the PL, and one of the best at that, Remy is untried and untested...

Adebayor was woeful today - so frustrating with little flicks and trying to be too clever. He's been brilliant up til now, but I feel he's getting a bit too big for his boots. We need someone to offer him some competition or we won't get the best out of him.

Also, I do not ever want to see Spurs contest a drop ball like that. There's winning and then there's winning with class - leave that gonad*s to the gooners and chavs.

Tommy whilst I agree about the drop ball bit I didnt care today for two reasons. a) If it got us three points and one step closer to the top and b) because those Wolves clams appealed for a corner (which led to their goal) when it clearly wasnt

Yeah, tbf the wolves players and fans were a bunch of tossers today, i would have enjoyed it more if we scored from the drop ball.

Classless, just like them

Absolute cobblers
The keeper and defender faked an injury to gain an advantage, the ref used his discretion to stop the game to investigate the situation. The drop ball is a contestable situation at ALL times, it is just a matter of discretion to one side to let the situation go.
Wolves had NO DOUBT that we were going to contest it, we did not do anything underhand and it was a 50:50 restart to the game. Some mythical Knights code of conduct is gonad*s, particularly when they were cheating in the first instance.

Agreed. The players know what is at stake. We're now pushing to win the league and those two clowns went down, were about to get up when one of their players rushed over and told them to stay down.

Im sick of Adebayor. He's a big strong guy but dosnt use is at all. He should bully defenders, but it's like he just bails out every time he has to battle for the ball. He should be a force in the air but isnt, plus he is a very poor finisher. The only thing he is good at, is laying the ball off. Not good enough and should not be signed on a permanent contract.

Absolute cobblers
The keeper and defender faked an injury to gain an advantage, the ref used his discretion to stop the game to investigate the situation. The drop ball is a contestable situation at ALL times, it is just a matter of discretion to one side to let the situation go.
Wolves had NO DOUBT that we were going to contest it, we did not do anything underhand and it was a 50:50 restart to the game. Some mythical Knights code of conduct is gonad*s, particularly when they were cheating in the first instance.

Absolutely bang on.

Im sick of Adebayor. He's a big strong guy but dosnt use is at all. He should bully defenders, but it's like he just bails out every time he has to battle for the ball. He should be a force in the air but isnt, plus he is a very poor finisher. The only thing he is good at, is laying the ball off. Not good enough and should not be signed on a permanent contract.

I think that is complete rubbish. Adebayor's work rate is phenominal and it is him drawing defenders out that is creating chances for others to score. I doubt that we will sign him in the summer because his wage demands will be too high but he is a class player and we will really struggle to find better.

Thought Ade played his worst game so far yesterday. Not going to give him too much credit for the 'goal' because it was going in anyway. He seems to be shot shy and keeps playing all these fancy flicks and dummies, just shot FFS!!!!!!!!! In fact all this talk of Spurs playing the best football in the league, seems to have gone to the heads of some players, notably ADe, VDV, Walker and Bale. Play more direct footballguys!

Gary.

I would like to answer a few of the themes running through this thread:

IMHO, I believe that Ade does work his socks off for the team and concedes less free-kick’s, than Crouch did, when trying to compete for long balls. If people were actually able to watch his movement off the ball, it is a joy to behold.

If it wasn't for incompetent officials during the season, he would have had at least 3 or 4 more goals to his tally.

His biggest problem is that he needs to play with Defoe, who offers him more support than VdV. Now, I love VdV, but he sometimes compromises the team, especially, when he is picking up the ball off the laces of one of our central defenders?

I think that is complete rubbish. Adebayor's work rate is phenominal and it is him drawing defenders out that is creating chances for others to score. I doubt that we will sign him in the summer because his wage demands will be too high but he is a class player and we will really struggle to find better.
Absolutely

IMHO, I believe that Ade does work his socks off for the team and concedes less free-kick’s, than Crouch did, when trying to compete for long balls. If people were actually able to watch his movement off the ball, it is a joy to behold.

If it wasn't for incompetent officials during the season, he would have had at least 3 or 4 more goals to his tally.

His biggest problem is that he needs to play with Defoe, who offers him more support than VdV. Now, I love VdV, but he sometimes compromises the team, especially, when he is picking up the ball off the laces of one of our central defenders?

Totally agree. At times we just dont have anyone in the box as VDV and Ade are doing there thing elsewhere on the pitch

IMHO, I believe that Ade does work his socks off for the team and concedes less free-kickÔÇÖs, than Crouch did, when trying to compete for long balls. If people were actually able to watch his movement off the ball, it is a joy to behold.

Good point. When Van Der Vaart first arrrived and he was banging in goals for fun, I dont rember him dropping so deep to collect the ball. Must say this 'new role' for Bale where he is more central hasn't helped either, with Ade, VDV and Bale getting in each other's way.

Back